Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaybird

RECIPE: looking for: cookie sheet sized brownie recipe

jaybird
16 years ago

Good Morning,

I am visiting from other forums on Garden Web, with a question...of course :^) We attended a church dinner last Saturday and had a brownie type desert that was made in cookie sheets. It was a bit thinner than a traditional brownie, but the same dense texture. It had a fudgy type frosting with chopped nuts thinly spread over the top.

The church was not the one that I attend, and the people I asked did not know what the recipe might be.

Does this description ring any bells with anyone??

I will sincerely appreciate any help with a possible recipe.

Many thanks,

Jaybird

Comments (5)

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Sounds like a Texas Sheet Cake to me. Love it!

TEXAS SHEET CAKE

2 c. flour
    2 c. sugar
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2 sticks butter
    1 c. water
    3 tbsp. cocoa
    2 eggs, beaten
    1 tsp. soda
    1/2 c. buttermilk
    1 tsp. vanilla

Sift together flour, sugar, and salt. In a saucepan, put butter, water, and cocoa. Bring to a boil and pour over the flour and sugar mixture. In another bowl, mix eggs, soda, buttermilk and vanilla. Add to above mixture and mix well. Bake in a greased and floured shallow pan, 15 1/2 x 10 1/2 x 1 inch. Bake 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

CHOCOLATE ICING FOR TEXAS SHEET CAKE
    1 stick butter
    3 tbsp. cocoa
    6 tbsp. milk
    1 box XXX sugar
    1 c. nuts, chopped
    1 tsp. vanilla

Start icing the last 5 minutes cake is baking. Mix butter, cocoa and milk in saucepan. Heat over low heat. Do not boil. Remove from heat and add sugar, nuts, and vanilla. Mix well. Frost cake as soon as removed from oven. Makes 24 servings or 48 party size squares.

Nancy

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

I love TX sheet cake but I don't find it dense. If that's not it, any brownie recipe made in a bigger pan & with the baking temperature adjusted for the thinner batter should work.

• patti43
    15 years ago

I've been making this recipe since I was young (many moons ago). It's very moist and the icing sounds like it may be what you had. It's delicious!!! Company's coming so I'm making this to serve Friday with ice cream.

CHOCOLATE SHEET CAKE

1 c. sugar
    1/2 c. butter (1 stick)
    4 eggs
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1 c + 1 Tbsp. flour
    1 - 16 oz. can Hershey's chocolate syrup

Cream sugar and butter until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time beating until smooth. Add salt, flour and syrup. Pour into a greased 10-1/2 x 15-1/2" cookie sheet with sides. Bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

Frosting:

1-1/2 c. sugar
    6 Tbsp. milk
    6 Tbsp. butter
    1 c. chopped nuts (I use pecans)
    1/2 c. chocolate chips

Bring sugar, butter and milk to a boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add chips and nuts. Stir until chips melt. Spread on Warm ake. Work fast--it hardens quickly. Add a little milk, if needed.

• jaybird
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you ladies!!!
    Ginger it is so great to see you.....I don't usually venture over here and I thought you were gone!!
    WizardNM...your recipe is appropriate since I am in Texas and will be serving Texas folks!!
    Patti thank you...fast is not in my vocabulary, but I will try my best :^)
    Have a great weekend all of you!

• kathleenca
    15 years ago

Here's a variation of the Texas & Chocolate sheet cakes: the cinnamon makes it "Mexican". I found this in the Houston Chronicle in the early '80s & have made it since, & always get raves for it (though some people think it is brownies because it's so thin.) Great for a crowd potluck.

This recipe is so easy - I can make & frost it in 50 minutes. I don't even clean the saucepan from the cake melting - just leave it for the frosting. I have always used the unsweetened chocolate -haven't tried the cocoa. Notice that the cake ingredients don't need to be sifted. It's even better the second day - the flavors have time to mellow.

MEXICAN CHOCOLATE CAKE

1 stick (1/2 c.) butter
    1/2 c. vegetable oil
    2 squares unsweetened chocolate OR 4 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
    1 c. water
    2 c. unsifted all-purpose flour
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 3/4 c. sugar
    1/2 c. sour milk (place 1/2 tsp. vinegar in 1/2 c. milk)
    2 eggs, beaten
    3/4 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Combine butter, oil, chocolate and water in a saucepan and heat until chocolate is melted.
    Combine flour, baking soda, sugar, milk, eggs, cinnamon and vanilla in large bowl; then combine with first mixture.
    Pour into a greased 12x18-inch cake pan (I use a 12x15-inch cushionaire-type jelly roll pan). Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until cake tests done. Bake on middle rack.

Five minutes before cake is done, prepare:

MEXICAN CHOCOLATE ICING:

1 stick butter
    2 squares unsweetened chocolate
    6 Tbsp. milk
    1 (1 lb.) pkg. confectioners' sugar, sifted
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1/2 c. chopped pecans

Combine butter, chocolate and milk in a saucepan and heat until bubbles form around the edge. Remove from heat, add confectioners' sugar, vanilla and pecans; beat. Ice cake while still warm. Frosting is not stiff.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia