Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileenlaunonen

RECIPE: Your best rated salads..take a look!

eileenlaunonen
16 years ago

While doing the research for my sandwich shop (still in beginning stages) Id like to start compiling my menu to include some great salads to offer like Potato Salad, Macaroni Salad, Tuna salad, Egg salad, Cole Slaw,Pasta Salad,Bean Salad and various others. Id love for you to share with me your "to die for" recipes

Comments (21)

• glenda_al
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Our local, Homewood Gourmet Restaurant, serves this and it is delicious!

Baby Blue Salad With Sweet-and-spicy Pecans And Balsamic Vinaigrette

Baby Blue Salad with Sweet-and-Spicy Pecans and Balsamic Vinaigrett

Make the Sweet-and-Spicy Pecans and Balsamic Vinaigrette ahead of time.

1 (5-ounce) bag mixed spring salad greens
    2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
    1 orange, peeled and sectioned
    1/2 pint fresh strawberries, quartered
    1/2 cup Sweet-and-Spicy Pecans
    Balsamic Vinaigrette

Toss together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Drizzle with 1/2 cup Balsamic Vinaigrette, gently tossing to coat. Serve with remaining vinaigrette.

Sweet\-and\-Spicy Pecans 1/4 cup sugar 1 cup warm water 1 cup pecan halves 2 tablespoons sugar 1 tablespoon chili powder 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper Stir together 1/4 cup sugar and warm water until sugar dissolves. Add pecans; soak 10 minutes. Drain; discard liquid. Combine 2 tablespoons sugar, chili powder, and red pepper. Add pecans; toss to coat. Place pecans in a single layer on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once.

Balsamic Vinaigrette

1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
    3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
    3 tablespoons honey
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 small shallots, minced
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup olive oil

Whisk together first 7 ingredients until blended. Gradually whisk in olive oil, blending well

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Do we get a percentage? :)

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That looks really good thanks

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Eileen I got the best darn tuna salad I have ever had at Whole Foods the other day. They make it fresh at the seafood counter and it is amazing. Go lightly on the mayo it isn't overly creamy, just moistened.

I can't give you exact quantities but it is easy enough to play with. Here are the ingredients.

Tuna and Artichoke Salad

Fresh tuna, poached in a court bouillon
    Mayo, they made their own
    Kalamata olives, chopped
    Artichoke hearts, chopped (canned)
    Green onions, chopped
    minced garlic
    oregano, dried
    lemon juice, fresh
    salt and pepper

• disneyginger
    16 years ago

I have a pasta salad recipe that everyone requests ad nauseum. It is my own recipe and you won't find this in a book or on a website.

I call it:

Southwest Pasta Salad
    Salad:
    1 16 ounce box of bow ties, cooked al dente and cooled
    2 cups of grilled chicken breasts cut into 1 inch cubes
    1/2 to 3/4 cup of crisp bacon crumbled (about 1 12-ounce package)
    1 cup of peeled jicama, sliced into short match sticks
    1 1/2 cups of small cherry tomatoes whole
    1/2 cup of sliced pimento olives
    3/4 cup of cucumber chunks (make thin sticks then cut into 1-inch chunks)
    1 to 1 1/2 cups of shredded jack and cheddar mixed cheese
    Dressing:
    1 whole 2 cup recipe of Hidden Valley dressing (not bottled, but fresh buttermilk and mayo with the packet only!)
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 tablespoon of lemon zest
    1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper or to taste bottled hot chile sauce

Served on a big ice berg lettuce leaf or a fresh crisp cold combination of romanine and iceberg.

On top you can add chile lime pistacios for crunch and garnish with avocado slices.

From time to time, I will add things like whole kernel corn, fresh peas, black beans, jalepenos, leftover pork in chunks, or whatever I have and feel like.

The dressing is delicous on the salad, and we use it to mix our tuna salad! Yes, you read that correctly. I make my tuna salad with celery, onions, tuna, and eggs or whatever I want, then I mix it with the buttermilk ranch dressing mixed with the hot chile sauce and some lemon zest, and some of the cheese. Oh, it is so good! Even better grilled with butter! yum!

• annova914
    16 years ago

Disneyginger - your pasta salad sounds great. How do you make chili lime pistachios?--ann

• disneyginger
    16 years ago

You can get them at Trader Joe's, some Targets, Safeway. And, I think almost anywhere these days.

They are like the chile lime potato chipes, only the powder is on pistachios.

If you live in an area that doesn't offer them, you can get them online, even from amazon.

• angelaid
    16 years ago

Here's my most requested...

Angâs Pasta Salad

Cook about 1 and 1/2 cups of Rotina (multi-colored spiral-shaped pasta) according to package directions. Rinse and drain well.
    Cook 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (I sprinkle with seasoning salt and throw them on the grill).
    Chop chicken breasts into bite-size pieces and add to drained pasta.
    Rinse and drain one can of dark red kidney beans and add to pasta/chicken.
    Drain one can of black olives. Cut each olive in half and add to pasta/chicken.
    Pour in about 1/2 a bottle of Italian dressing (shake well)
    Add extra chopped garlic (to taste)
    Add fresh ground pepper (to taste)
    Add about one cup of Parmesan Cheese (not the dry stuff in the green can!)
    Mix well and refrigerate overnight

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

This one is found in most Spanish tapas bars and also in restaurants. It's a classic favourite:

4 servings as a side dish, or 6 servings for a good sized tapa.

Four or more servings:

1 1/2 lbs (640 grams) potatoes
    3/4 cup (100 grams) cooked peas - (I used frozen steamed)
    1 tin tuna steak drained - 1/2 lb tin (225 grams)
    1 small jar green pitted olives - I bought them stuffed with pimento
    1 small roasted red pepper, cored, peeled and cut into strips (I used them from a jar)
    2 boiled eggs
    2 TBS mayonnaise (I used 3 heaping)
    1 TBS mayonnaise thinned with a little milk
    Salt
    My option: a dusting of paprika over all

1) Boil the potatoes in their skins until tender. Drain and cool. When cool peel and dice into a large bowl.

2) Add the cooked peas, the olives cut in halves (save a few whole ones for the garnish), the tuna flaked and one of the chopped eggs. Add salt to taste and then combine with the 2 (or 3) TBS mayonnaise

3) Spread the mixture on a platter forming a mound. Cover it completely with the thinned mayonnaise. A large serving spoon helps to coax it into shape.

4) Decorate with the strips of pepper, olives and the rest of the eggs.

5) It will keep in the fridge for a few days, improving with taste.

6) Serve with crusty bread.

Again -

- Seen from above.

{{gwi:1492813}} This is often served with sandwiches as a snack.

My notes:
    You may want to add some more tang to the mayonnaise. If you're a Miracle Whip fan, you may want to use that, or otherwise add a few drops of lemon. Taste first. I steamed the potatoes with salt, but you still need to add some with the mayonnaise.

I found the best way to add a slight dusting of paprika is to shake it into your hand and then blow it gently over the salad.

Serves 4 - 6

9 ounces (250 grams) salmon fillet, skinned
    5 TBS extra virgin olive oil
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
    9 ounces (250 grams) asparagus (about 16 medium spears), ends trimmed
    9 ounces (250 grams) new potatoes, if possible red skinned, cooked and quartered
    (approx 14 small potatoes see photo)
    1 lb (450 grams) cherry tomatoes, cut in half
    3/4 cup (4 oz or 125 grams) crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
    6 spring onions, chopped
    4 TBS fresh mint, chopped
    3 TBS fresh basil, chopped
    3 TBS fresh dill, chopped
    10 ounces (300 grams) mixed salad leaves or baby spinach (about 2 small bags)
    3 TBS lemon juice
    1 tsp lemon zest
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

1. Brush the salmon with 1 TBS olive oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
    Place salmon on an oiled grill over medium-high heat and cook, turning once, about 4 minutes per side, or until the fish is opaque and flakes easily. Remove and set aside on a plate to cool.

If preferred, bake salmon in oven at 425F (218C) for about 10 to 12 minutes until it is opaque.

1. Slice asparagus spears diagonally into 1-inch (2.5 cm pieces) and cook in a steam basket placed
      over a frying pan or pot of boiling water until spears are tender, about 5 minutes.
      Then rinse them under cool water and set aside.

3. Prepare the vinaigrette by whisking together the remaining 4 TBS of olive oil, lemon juice, zest, salt and pepper. Toss the salad leaves with half the dressing and arrange on a large platter.

4. Once salmon has cooled, break it up into bite-sized pieces and place it in a large bowl, adding the
    potatoes, tomatoes, asparagus, feta, spring onions and fresh herbs. Add the remaining dressing
    and toss gently. Spoon this mixture over the salad greens and serve.

Source: Adapted from Rick Gallops Glycemic Index Diet Green-Light Cookbook

My Comments:

This was another light and easy main course salad, perfect in hot weather also as a starter or side dish.
    I didnt find any fresh dill or spring onions, so I substituted with dried dill tips and a young leek, finely sliced and sautéd. I added 1/2 tsp prepared mustard to the vinaigrette as I found it a bit too bland.

Serving Size: 4

1 lg French lettuce
    16 lg Jumbo Shrimp
    2 lg Pink Grapefruit

For dressing:
    1/4 c Orange juice
    1/8 c Vinegar
    1/4 c Olive oil
    1/8 c Corn oil
    1/4 c Green olives chopped
    1/4 c Onion chopped
    1/4 c Parsley chopped
    1 t Cayenne pepper
    1 t Paprika (Spanish pimenton)
    Salt and pepper

Cook the shrimps as usual, peel them. Peel the
    grapefruit and separate each piece, also peel the
    white skin, being careful to get the complete pieces.
    Prepare the dressing by mixing all the ingredients.

To serve: put the lettuce leaves on the dish, adorn with the grapefruit and shrimp.

Put the dressing on top and serve.

This salad will be better if the dressing can be prepared two hours before.

Exported from MasterCook
    Patricia Wriedt.

SharonCb

• ann_t
    16 years ago

How about a rice salad.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Rice Salad Putttanesca
    ======================
    3 Tablespoons plus
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 1/2 cups basmati rice (or other long grain white rice)
    3 cups cold water
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    2 oz parmesan cheese grated
    4 med. garlic cloves minced
    1/4 cup packed parsly
    1 can plum tomatoes, drained and seeded
    1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
    1 small green pepper cut into strips
    5 oz can black olives drained and patted dry (Can use pitted Kalamata olives)
    2 cans white tuna, drained
    pepper and salt
    . Heat 2 tablespoons oil, add rice and stir to coat, add water and cook
    until water is absorbed. Transfer to a colander and rinse with cold
    water to cool and separate grains. Drain well.

Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and sauce garlic, parsley and chopped
    tomatoes. Cook until some liquid is evaporated. Stir in oregano and
    aside to cool.

Put rice in a large bowl and add tomatoe mixture and mix well. Add
    cheese, chopped green pepper, olives and tuna. Add salt and pepper to
    taste. Stir in olive oil and mix well.

• mangomoon
    16 years ago

Eileen, while I can't think of a salad to add, I sure enough have a killer of a sandwich for your sandwich shop!

Introducing The Aristotle from a deli on the coast of CA.

Here is one of my favorite sandwiches! I first tried this
    at a local deli here in CA, and took mental notes of all of the ingredients as I ate into the delicious sandwich. I have been making it for years at home now, and since the deli has sold. I was anxious to make it myself because the owner of the now sold deli, was too cheap and would substitute more lettuce so you would not be able to tell there were less of the other things, like the salami!

Here goes.

Sourdough bread or French Rolls (either works great)
    Mustard and Mayo (spread on the open bread slices)
    Salami cut in slices
    Romaine or Butter leaf lettuce
    (Optional) sliced green bell pepper and black olives
    Red onion -1 or 2 thin sliced circles
    Feta Cheese (I use the basil, tomato one)
    1-2 Tbl of Caesar Salad Dressing (any brand)
    Sprinkle with salt and pepper before closing sandwich!

Enjoy! I can never have just one and end up making two.

It is meant for eating cold. Not sure how the Feta cheese or dressing would take if you heat it in a grill or press.

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow thanks for the great ideas!!!

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

Eileen, are you familiar with Honeycup Mustard? Check it out. Most gourmet food suppliers will carry it in food service size, but avail in consumer size also in good grocery stores. Great in pasta salads, potato salads and on smoked meat deli dandwiches.

Nancy

• patti43
    16 years ago

I found this one today. I'd been searching for a potato salad like one I used to get at a deli in Clearwater. This sounds close. It may need more salt.

DILL AND SOUR CREAM POTATO SALAD

3 lbs. unpeeled new poatoes
    2/3 c. mayonnaise
    1 (8 oz.) carton sour cream
    1 Tbsp. chopped fesh dill
    2 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper

Cook potatoes in boiling, salted water to cover 15 minutes or ntil tender; drain and let potatoes cool to touch. Cut into eighths, leaving skins on. Place in a large bowl.

Combine mayo and remaining ingredients and add to potatoes. Toss gently. Cover and chill 8 hours. Serves 8.

• disneyginger
    16 years ago

I don't have a recipe and have never made it myself, but there is a kind of salad that has black beans, corn, and onions and things in it, chiles too I think, and the dressing is heavily tasting in cilantro, lemon, and a light oil.

I could eat it all day and all night.

It is the cilantro - lemon that grabs me for flavor. Maybe someone has a recipe or knows enough about flavors and combinations to share something.

I can only get it at a place called, I think.. The Coyote Cafe in Old Town in San Diego when we've been there. We go about every two to three years, and it is something I wish I could ship home!!!

• geri_7
    16 years ago

This is delicious! Sounds like what you are looking for disneyginger. I made a double batch this week while visiting family in Oregon. It was a BIG hit!

Southwest Salad with Black Beans and Corn

3 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
    2 cups cooked corn (or frozen and thawed, uncooked)
    2 to 3 medium-sized garlic cloves, finely minced
    1/2 heaping cup red onion, well minced
    1 red bell pepper, minced
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup olive oil (plus 1 tablespoon for tortillas)
    1/2 cup fresh lime juice (3 to 4 limes)
    2 to 3 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
    1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
    1/2 cup fresh parsley, minced
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    freshly ground black pepper
    3 to 4 corn tortillas

In a large bowl, combine beans, corn, minced garlic, red onion, bell pepper,
    salt, 1/2 olive oil, and lime juice. Roast the whole cumin seeds in a cast iron
    skillet over medium heat, stirring for several minutes. Add the toasted seeds
    to the salad, along with the cilantro, parsley, and red and black peppers, and
    mix thoroughly but gently. Lightly brush both sides of each tortilla with
    olive oil, and cut the tortillas into strips approximately 1/4 inch wide and
    1 1/2 inches long. Cook the strips slightly in a heavy skillet over medium heat
    for 2 to 3 minutes. Ideally, they should be partly crispy and partly chewy. Stir
    these into the salad shortly before serving, or scatter them on top as a garnish.
    Serves 6 to 8.

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ill look into that Honeycup Mustard I have never heard of it Thanks

• disneyginger
    16 years ago

geri, I think if that isn't exact, it looks like it would be similar enough to the original, that it is well worth trying this recipe!

I am going to shop today to make sure I have all the ingredients and will make it tonight for tomorrow to eat.

If this is the same, or close enough, we will be so grateful!

Actually, I thought it was lemon in the one we've eaten, but honestly, I think I will enjoy the lime much more!

THANKS so much for sharing!!!

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

This corn salad is wonderful. I came up with it after making grilled corn the way they make it in India, and having some corn left over. So the first recipe isn't the salad, but if any of y'all are looking for something different this coming corn season, it's wonderful cooked this way...

Spicy Fire-Roasted Corn with Citrus

1T cayenne pepper mixed with
    1 1/2 T salt.
    4 ears of fresh corn (or more, if you want leftovers for roasted corn salad)
    One lemon and one lime cut into wedges.

Fill a salt shaker with the salt and cayenne pepper.*

Shuck the corn and trim ends for corn skewers if you will use them at the table. If it's your first time roasting corn this way, it's a good idea to practice on one ear before committing all to the grill.

Brush your hot grill (not the corn) with a bit of oil, and using tongs, place the corn on the grill. Keep an eye on the ears, and turn them occasionally to prevent too much charring in one spot. You do want some browning and a bit of char as the carmelized bits give the corn a wonderful flavor. The corn should be done in approximately 5 minutes, depending upon the freshness and size of the ears.

Serve the corn with wedges of lemon and lime and the shaker of cayenne-salt. The diners rub the wedges all over the corn and then sprinkle with the cayenne-salt to taste.

* If you have children eating who might be put off by the cayenne, make a second shaker with equal parts of salt and sugar for them to use instead.

Leftover Roasted Corn Salad

2 ears leftover fire-roasted corn
    4 T lemon/lime juice
    2 T honey
    1 t salt
    1/4 t black pepper
    2 cups assorted grated or chopped vegetables. (I like grated carrot, chopped red bell peppers, green onions, diced cucumbers, chopped tomatoes, crunchy celery, thinly sliced radishes and frozen peas, but just use up whatever odds and ends your refrigerator or garden produces! I've even added chopped apples or pears at times!)
    1/4-1/3 c toasted, roughly chopped pecans, cashews or hazelnuts*
    1-2 T minced fresh herbs (basil, cilantro, tarragon or parsley) -optional-

Cut leftover roasted corn from cobs into a bowl and then gently scrape the little juicy bits from the cob with the blunt side of a knife into the same bowl. Mix the lemon/lime juice, honey, salt and pepper in a bowl and whisk until the honey is completely dissolved. Toss the vegetables with the dressing, and let sit at least 10 minutes for the flavors to develop. If you are adding fresh herbs, toss them in just before serving. This salad is wonderful with any simply grilled meat or fish, and pairs quite well with rice or couscous as a starch. It can also be made hours ahead, although it might soften and the colors might fade a bit if you make it the day before. Sprinkle the nuts on top of the salad before serving.

*Toasting the nuts really brings out their flavor. Before chopping, put the nuts into a pan over a medium-high heat. Shake the pan gently back and forth as though you were making popcorn until the nuts darken slightly and become fragrant.

• minsue67
    16 years ago

A much requested salad at our house.

Broccoli Pasta Salad:
    1 lg. head of broccoli, cut into small flowerets
    1 medium red onion diced
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
    1 lb. bacon fried and crumbled
    1 16oz. box of Rotini noodles cooked and drained

Dressing:
    2 cups Miracle Whip
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 15oz. can sweetened condensed milk
    1/4 cup parmesean cheese
    1/2 cup cider vinegar

First mix up the dressing ingredients in a large bowl. Prepare the salad ingredients and stir into the dressing. Chill before serving.

Mindy

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all for some great recipes!!