Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: anyone remember Rich's Magnolia Room

Posted by kayskats (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 30, 07 at 10:18

I grew up in the Atlanta area, but now live in Maryland ... Reading the recent Atlanta Journal-Constitution articles about Rich's Bake Shop Coconut Cake, I fondly recalled my Magnolia Room favorite:

Strawberry Shortcake!!!!

Would surely love to have that recipe.

Does this read like their Chicken Salad? (from www.Cooks.com)

RICH'S MAGNOLIA ROOM CHICKEN SALAD
----------------------------------

3 1/2 lbs. chicken breast
5 ribs celery, diced
1/2 tsp. salt or to taste
1/4 tsp. white pepper
2 c. mayonnaise
1/2 c. pickle relish
1/2 c. toasted almond slices for garnish

Boil chicken breasts in lightly salted water until meat is
tender. Cool. Separate meat from bones and skin. Leave
chicken in medium size strips. Toss remaining ingredients,
except almonds, with chicken. Cover and refrigerate until
serving time. Garnish with almonds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
ah ... well

seems no one remembers Rich's Magnolia Room and their strawberry shortcake ... so I'll just let this post work it's way down the list to cyber heaven

o
RE: LOOKING for: anyone remember Rich's Magnolia Room

I do! I do! I had a bridal shower at Rich's at Greenbriar Shopping Center! Many, many years ago. Rich's is no longer here. It is now Macy's. There wasn't another store like Rich's and never will be.

The Chicken Salad sounds just like it! Wow, good memories!

o

Well, hello Nonnie I had almost given up ... I remember the Greenbriar Rich's and still find it very strange to go back to Atlanta and find NO trace of the downtown store and Macy's name on all the others. Of course, I remember when the Davisons on Peachtree Street became Macy's.

Take a look at the recipe I clipped from the Journal-Constitution years ago and see if it reads like the Magnolia Room version.

Strawberry Shortcake

Makes 4 servings
Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution

2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 1/2 tbsps butter
1 egg beaten
1/3 cup milk
1 quart fresh strawberries
3/4 cup sugar
Whipped cream

Sift flour; combine with sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until mixture is coarse and crumbly. Add egg and milk and blend to make a soft yet workable dough. With a floured biscuit cutter, cut into four large rounds. Bake 15 to 20 minutes at 400*F or until golden brown.
An hour before serving, cut up strawberries, saving 12 whole berries. Combine cut berries with sugar. Let stand 1 hour or while shortcake is baking. Split each shortcake, hot from the oven, into two layers and butter each side. Layer on strawberries and juice, cover with other shortcake layer and top with whole strawberries and whipped cream.
Variation: Can also be baked as one large cake. Proceed as above and cut into wedges.

o

Oh, yes! That sounds about like it. I only have one problem with the recipe. It says 4 servings. What is my family going to eat! : 0) LOL. I can't wait to try the recipe. If you try it first, let me know how it turns outs.

o

if you should make this recipe, cut out individual rounds and split each after baking... I baked it in a cake pan it was so crumbly it went to pieces when I tried to split it.
Very nice texture for sopping up all the juices.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here