Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margad_gw

LOOKING for: Shredded cabbage, need help

margad
16 years ago

I bought a bag of shredded cabbage for cole slaw. There is too much for just two of us. Is there any way I can cook this. Would appreciate ideas. Thanks.

Comments (13)

• becky_ca
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here's a couple of recipes my family likes - you can sub green cabbage for red in the braised cabbage recipe, I've done it before. I know you were asking for cooked cabbage recipes, but I'm including one for an Asian style coleslaw too that can be a main dish salad if you add chicken.

Becky

* Exported from MasterCook *

Slow-Braised Cabbage with Apples and Cranberries

Recipe By :Becky Chatham
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    a generous pinch each of cinnamon, cloves
    and freshly grated nutmeg
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1 head red cabbage -- cored and shredded
    1 large onion -- chopped finely
    1 garlic clove -- peeled and chopped finely
    2 large cooking apples -- peeled, cored and chopped
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon butter

SERVES 6

Preheat the oven to 300F (150°C). Lightly grease a large casserole dish.

Mix the sugar, spices, salt, and pepper. Layer the shredded cabbage with the onion, garlic, apples, and cranberries, seasoning each layer with a pinch of the seasoning. Sprinkle the vinegar over top, and dot with butter. Cover and cook for about 2 hours, giving the mixture a stir halfway through cooking. Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary before serving.

Source:
    "adapted from a recipe at:
    http://www.petesfrootique.com/recipe/braised_red_cabbage.html";

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Asian Coleslaw

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

6 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
    6 tablespoons vegetable oil
    5 tablespoons creamy peanut butter (I used chunky)
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root (I use the
    micoplane grater)
    1 1/2 tablespoons minced garlic (I use a garlic press)
    5 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
    2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
    2 cups shredded napa cabbage
    2 red bell peppers -- thinly sliced
    2 carrots -- julienned
    6 green onions -- chopped
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    roasted peanuts -- optional

1 In a medium bowl, whisk together the rice vinegar, oil,
    peanut butter, soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, and garlic.
    2 In a large bowl, mix the green cabbage, red cabbage,
    napa cabbage, red bell peppers, carrots, green onions, and
    cilantro. Toss with the peanut butter mixture just before serving.

Source:
    "www.allrecipes.com"

NOTES : This is really good with chopped cooked chicken added. To make it really fast you can use bagged coleslaw mix. Don't mix it until right before you serve it - it wilts quickly. The dressing can be prepared a day or two ahead and kept in the fridge.

Sausage & Potato Soup

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

4 large baking potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds) -- peeled and cubed
    1 1/2 pounds kielbasa -- sliced
    2 stalks celery -- sliced
    2 medium carrots -- sliced
    1 medium onion -- chopped
    1/2 small head cabbage -- thinly sliced
    2 chicken bouillon cube (or sub 2 cups broth
    for 2 cups water)
    2 teaspoons dried marjoram
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
    1 cup half and half
    1 cup light sour cream
    6 1/2 cups water -- divided

1. In 4-quart saucepan over high heat, heat potatoes and 3 cups water to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until tender. Do not drain - using hand mixer, puree potatoes and water.

2. In 8-quart Dutch oven or saucepot over medium-high heat, cook kielbasa, stirring frequently, until browned. Add celery, carrots, onion and cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender. Stir in pureed potatoes, bouillon, marjoram, salt, pepper and another 3 1/2 cups water; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes.

3. Stir in half-and-half and sour cream; heat through. (Do not boil, or mixture may curdle.)

• lindac
    16 years ago

Well...I bought a bag of shredded cabbage and made it into slaw and ate it all myself.
    You can just pop the bag into the freezer and dump it into a veggie soup the next time you make it...or do a cabbage and potato and onion fry.
    Slice some leftover cooked potatoes into a fry pan with a mix of hot butter and oil in the bottom add a few slices of onion and the cabbage and fry and toss until the cabbage softenes ( salt and papper of course) when the cabbage gets soft pour on a bit of cream ( or milk...but it won't be as good!) cover and cook another 6 or 7 minutes until the cream thickens a bit.
    Linda C

• gardenlad
    16 years ago

My goodness, the list of what you can do with it extends ever outwards. Here are just two:

This first one was adapted from a similar recipe found in one of the Moosewood books.

Puerto Rican Style Cabbage

2 cups cabbage, shredded
    2 cupt potatoes (Irish or Sweet), cubed
    1/2 cup onion, choppekd
    1/4 tsp seasoning salt
    1/2 cup apple juice
    4 tbls butter, softened
    1 tsp caraway seed, crushed.

Steam cabbage, potatoes and onions in juice until tender. Thoroughly mash with a fork. Add butter and seasoning salt and mix well.

Put mixture in a greased casserole or baking dish. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.

Dish may be topped with chopped parsley or cilantro before baking, if desired.

This next comes from Carol Gelles' "Wholesome Harvest."

Cabbage, Kasha & Beans

2 tbls oil
    3 cups shredded cabbage
    1/3 cup sliced scallions
    1 pkg (10 oz) frozen baby limas
    1 1/2 cups cooked kasha
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the cabbage and scallions and cook, stirring, until softened. Add the beans, kasha, salt & pepper. Cook, stirring, until beans are heated through. Stire in the walnuts.

• nancylouise5me
    16 years ago

You can make my favorite Scottish side dish...Kailkenny.

Make your favorite mashed potato recipe using 1lb of potatoes. Set aside.
    In about 2-3TBSP olive oil fry the cabbage for 2 minutes or so. Season with salt and pepper. Add the mashed potatoes and stir to mix well. Stir in about 1/4 cup of heavy cream. That's it. It should serve around 4 people. Enjoy! NancyLouise

• kayskats
    16 years ago

I'm sure you were looking for something to do with the left over cabbage, but maybe you could use a whole bag (cut the following recipe in half), freeze it in pints and thaw later. You'll be surprised how crisp the slaw is after thawing ... it's the sugar and vinegar that doesn't it when frozen.

Freezer Pickled Cabbage
    Source: Ziedrich The Joy of Pickling
    Makes 2 quarts

2 pounds shredded green cabbage
    1 cup shredded green bell peppers
    1 cup shredded onions
    1 cup shredded carrots
    1 tbsp pickling salt
    2 cups sugar
    1 1/2 cups cider vinegar

In a bowl, toss the shredded vegetables with the salt and let stand 2 to 3 hours.
    Drain the vegetables, pressing out excess liquid. Combine the sugar and vinegar, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Pour the syrup over the drained vegetables and mix well.
    Pack the vegetables and syrup in freezer containers and freeze.
    Thaw for about 8 hours in refrigerator before serving.

• margad
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much. What nice people you are. It gladdens the heart.

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Here's an easy one & can be reheated:
    HOT CABBAGE SLAW (serves 4)
    3 cups shredded green or white cabbage
    1 tsp salt
    1 TBL butter
    1/2 cupmilk
    1 tsp caraway seeds
    1/2 tsp tarragon or more
    Pepper to taste

Put the cabbage ina 1 qt pan. Rinse & drain. Sprinkle w/the salt, cover & place over medium heat. When the cover is hot to the thouch, reduce the heat to low & cook 5 minutes.
    Add butter, milk & caraway seeds. Add teh tarragon & pepper & stir to blend. Bring to a boil. Serve hot.~~Craig Claiborne

This is forgiving as far as quantities:
    GERMAN SWEET & SOUR CABBAGE (serves 4)
    4-6 slices bacon
    1 small cabbage, coarsely chopped
    1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
    1/3 cup sugar
    Salt & pepepr
    2/3 cup white vinegar

Fry bacon until crisp; drain, reserving drippings. Crumble bacon.
    Place cabbage in a large saucepan; cover w/water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium & cook 10-12 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain & return to suacepan. While cabbage is hot, stir in onion, sugar & salt & pepper to taste. Let stand over low heat, tightly covered for several minutes. Reheat reserved drippings in a small saucepan. Stir in vinegar & bring to a boil. Pour over cabbage, stir & let stand 2-3 minutes. Top w/crumbled bacon.~~Food for Thought

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

This is especially good with ham or pork chops.

CREAMY RICE AND CABBAGE

2 or 3 slices bacon
    1 cup water
    1/3 cup rice (not instant)
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 tsp. butter or margarine
    1/4 medium head cabbage, cored and cut into 1/2 inch strips
    1 tsp. sugar
    Dash of paprika
    2 tsp. water
    3 Tbs. sour cream

In a small pan, bring 1 cup water to a boil; stir in rice, salt and the butter. Cover tightly and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Pour off any excess water.

While rice is cooking, fry bacon until crisp in skillet. Remove and drain bacon; drain all but 2 tsp. of drippings. Add cabbage to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Stir in sugar, paprika, and 2 tsp. water. Cover and cook over medium heat until cabbage is crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in sour cream and rice; heat but do not boil. Stir in crumbled bacon. Makes 2 servings.

• danain
    16 years ago

You can sprinkle it with salt and pepper and saute it in a skillet with a little butter. Sprinkle with a little sugar too if you like to help it brown.

Marilyn

• grainlady_ks
    16 years ago

A little late to add this information, BUT... Another use for leftover shredded cabbage is as a sandwich topper, instead of lettuce. Years ago a small restaurant served a "Pig" Sandwich (as in pig-out). It was made famous around here in during WWII when lettuce was unavailable, but cabbage wasn't, and the sandwich made a comeback in the late 1980's. The cooked beef sandwich, served on a bun, was topped with shredded cabbage, and was wonderful. Since eating there, we often use shredded cabbage as a sandwich topper.

I also make a tossed salad using shredded cabbage (instead of any lettuce). Shredded cabbage along with any other chopped/diced/sliced veggies you care to use (I usually add some radishes, cucumber, carrots, peppers, celery, shredded zucchini or broccoli stem). I like this salad topped with shredded Cheddar cheese only, or any dressing you like. I first had this salad 30 some years ago when a Salad Master Cookware demonstrator made it using their food chopper (early day food processor). Loved the salad then and make large batches to this day. It keeps well for several days in the refrigerator.

-Grainlady

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

I buy the preshredded bags too, and it makes too much coleslaw for just me, so I save about 1/4 of the bag and use it in stir fry. Cabbage is one of my favorite stir fry veggies. I just had stir fry for dinner tonight--rice and asian baked tofu with hoisin sauce, green pepper, broccoli, carrots, scallions and cabbage--yum! Tofu haters could use chicken or pork I guess.

• Patti Engle
    16 years ago

My family loves this and especially good as leftovers.
    Fry up one pound bacon....don't drain.
    Add one bag of cole slaw and cook til cole slaw is cooked through. Add one bag of cooked egg noodles.
    Season as you like.

• recipesaver2
    16 years ago

This is one of my favorite ways to use cabbage, and the shredded slaw cabbage works well in this

Creamed Cabbage Casserole

1/2 head of cabbage, shredded, steamed in a small amount of salt water Drain
    1 cup shredded sharp cheese (reserve for top)
    1/2 pack Ritz crackers( reserve for top)
    Thickening:
    2 Tbsp margarine or butter
    2 Tbsp flour
    1 1/2 cup milk
    salt and pepper to taste( I use about 1/4 tsp. each)
    Make your thickening - melt butter, add flour and then milk. Cook until
    thick. Add cream sauce to the cooked cabbage. Cook 4 slices of Bacon &
    crumble them. Fold them into the cabbage (bacon is optional and I usually
    leave it out.) Top cabbage first with cheese, and then with crumbled Ritz
    crackers. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or microwave for
    15-20 minutes.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax