Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileenlaunonen

LOOKING for: Jewish style Garlic Dill Pickles

eileenlaunonen
16 years ago

I never made homemade pickles but my market had KIRBYS on sale I searched this site with no luck..other sites are referencing PICKELING SALT....where to buy what is it???? Anyone have a recipe?? TIA

Comments (19)

• chase_gw
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Pickling salt is just a type of coarse salt used for canning. It is found with the regular salt and is often labeled Coarse Salt.

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks!!!

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Found a recipe have the pickles fermenting...ill let you know how it goes!

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

5 days fermenting....hmmm Im so curious...no peeking!!!

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

Eileen , I hope your dills turn out great but if they aren;t exactly what you are looking for I have a recipe that always turn out wonderful. It seems I have a bit of a reputation for them! David's nephews (Lakeguy35) call me the pickle lady from Canada! LOL

I will warn you my recipe does not use a HWB, been doing it for 35 years and haven't lost any one yet. However I do get some grief when I post it so if you want the recipe email me... sharonhoward at sympatico dot ca

By the way , many ,many people on the forum have made them and they all rave. The recipe is also on All Recipes, foolish me posted it there many years a go. All Recipes changed the recipe when they added it to their top ten best recipes......so don't follow that recipe but the comments may be of interest.

• jimtex
    16 years ago

Eileen, how are the pickles doing? I'm going to do the same thing as soon as I can get some really fresh cucumbers.
    James

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They smell devine 2 weeks fermenting I cant see them through the glass a tip from the Austrian man was to weight them down with a good Rye Bread (not store bought brands) sliced and piled on top. This is how his mom and grandmother made them...but when I lift the lid....the aroma is intoxicating!!!!!

• posie4u
    15 years ago

Eileen, would you mind posting the recipe you are using, please.

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

Yes, I would like that recipe as well. Also, I would like your recipe, Sharon. If you want to email it, my email is listed. I don't mind that it isn't HWB.

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

rachelellen.....you have mail!

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

OMG! I entered my email incorrectly, so I didn't get your recipe! I have fixed it now, I just dropped my last name from it. Puh-leeze resend?? :D

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

resent....

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

Thank you, thank you!

Now I just have to wait for my cuke plants to start producing! Actually, I may cheat and take a trip to the veggie stand.

• mamalou
    15 years ago

Would you please post the recipe? I would love to make these too.

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi I will post tommorrow I have a bunch of company coming today...need to pull recipe Eileen

• ruthieg__tx
    15 years ago

Thank you...I would love to have the recipe too.

• rachelellen
    15 years ago

How frustrating! I actually managed a stop at the huge veggie stand outside Sacramento on a road trip last weekend, but it's too early for cukes yet! :(

Why I thought they'd have them when my own plants are still babies is beyond me...so I guess I'll just stand out in the garden whispering, "grow, grow, grow!"

• jwsmith1935
    14 years ago

I am posting this for all of you who seem to think Jewish dill pickles are made from some magic formula that the Jews keep in the temple under guard. Well if you have ever eaten in a real Jewish Deli and had one of their pickles and want to have the same thing at home here is the recipe, bar none, that will give you what you want. Its not difficult but there are certain things you should do if you want the best results.

First growing your own cukes is best but not everyone can do that so the next best thing is to get pickling type cukes from a fresh market. If the cukes are not absolutely fresh picked the same day you purchase them forget it, and just buy your pickles in the store. Size is relatively important as well 3 to 4 inch cukes are ideal, however, you should get a few smaller ones to use to fill in.

If you can get cukes fresh picked wash them in plain water, and this is the step most people don't know about, place them in a container and cover them with cold water and place in refrigerator overnight. I can't emphasize enough how important that step is. If you don't do this you will get spongy, soft, and mushy pickles.

The next day prepare your ingredients:
    Sterlize as many quart jars as you need (whatever brand, and the lids, the kind that have the 2 pieces) and set aside to cool.

You will need a good supply of fresh dill (the amount will vary depending on the amount of pickles you are processing.) You will use two small sprigs in each jars.
    (Note: Dried dill works as well but, in the summer you should be able to get fresh.)

Fresh Garlic cloves

Canning salt (Can get it in any grocery store)

Pickling spice mixture also available in any grocery store, however it's on the pricy side. I buy mine by the pound from online. (Lots cheaper.) If you want the name of the company I buy from E-Mail me and I will tell you.
    Bottled water. (Tap water has too many chemicals in it)

So now you are ready: Remove the container of chilled cukes from the frige.

Into one cup of bottled water put one level tablespoon of pickling salt and stir to dissolve. Set aside.
    Into each quart jar place a sprig of dill on the bottom. (A sprig can be from 2 to 3 inches long,you will decide after you make these if that's more or less than you want depending on your own taste.)
    Next put in the jar one generous tablespoon of pickling spice.
    Garlic is an ingredient that varys according to your taste as well. Try my method and then adjust from there. I use two small to medium cloves of garlic in the bottom of the jar. If you are a garlic freak then use 3 if you don't like it that well use 1.
    Next put the cukes in standing them up as much as possible. If they are nice sizes you can get from 3 to 4 in each jar and then if you have some small ones you may be able to squeeze one or two on top. You may be tempted to cut them to get more in. (DON'T DO IT) They will get mushy. Once you have all the cukes stuffed in, place another sprig of dill on top of them.
    Now pour the cup of salt water in the jar.
    Fill the remaining space with fresh bottled water up to where the neck of the jar meets the body of the jar. Leave at least 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch headroom.

Place the 2 piece lid on top and tighten by hand as tight as you can.

Set jars in a plastic container (The kind that big packages of ground meat comes in from Walmart) you can get about 6 in each one. This is just in case you didn't leave enough headroom and as the fermenting process continues one or two of the lids may buckle up and leak a little. Not to worry, it doesn't hurt the pickles.

Now I like to leave my jars work for about 10 days but, I have done them for as little as 7 and as much as 14 days. Each different length of days gives you a slightly different texture. The 7 to 10 day ones are crisper.

After working (fermenting) place jars in the refrigerator. They may be eaten the next day.

I got this recipe from an old Jewish friend of mine many years ago and when my son visited New York last year he had a sandwich in a deli near Carnegie Hall. They served him their kosher dills and he said to me , "Dad they tasted just like yours." I said, "No, mine taste just like theirs."
    Now you see, it's not difficult but, it does take a little time, but, it's well worth it and you can make one or twenty at a time, as many as you like. I will caution you though be careful who you serve them to, because they may be like my granddaughter and become addicted to them.
    Let me know if you try them how you like them.

• jwsmith1935
    14 years ago

Sorry I didn't include my e-mail address in the first post it is:
    jwsmith100@charter.net

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!