Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iowajewel

RECIPE: Baby shower recipes???? Ideas for menu?

iowajewel
17 years ago

I am soooo excited.......my daughter is expecting my first grandchild!!

I am planning a baby shower for my daughter and have been trying to find unique ideas to use. I haven't been to a baby shower in SOME time!

I could use some T2T recipes that would help to make it memorable.

Just figured with all the GREAT cooks here, someone might have some ideas to share with me.

Thanks.......Julie

Comments (12)

• glenda_al
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

This is a favorite, for showers, in my area!

Chocolate punch
    Title: CHOCOLATE PUNCH
    Yield: 12 servings
    4 1-oz sq semisweet chocolate
    1/2 c Sugar
    2 c Hot water
    2 qt Milk
    1 1/2 ts Vanilla extract
    1 qt Vanilla ice cream
    1 qt Club soda
    1/2 pt Heavy cream; whipped
    Ground cinnamon
    Recipe by: Spoonbread & Strawberry Wine - ISBN 0-385-47270-6 In a
    large saucepan combine the chocolate and sugar with the hot water.
    Bring to a boil, stirring for 2 mins. Add milk, and continue heating.
    When hot, beat in vanilla with a rotary egg beater or whisk. Remove
    from heat. Chill, then pour into a punch bowl over ice cream. For
    sparkle, add club soda. Top with whipped cream and dust with
    cinnamon. Yield: 12 servings.

• khandi
    17 years ago

How many people do you figure there will be at the shower? We just had two of them last year and there's another one planned in the next month or two.

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Congratulations, Grandma!

When will the shower happen? This looks really pretty on a tray if you can get those big strawberries. Did you want finger food or more of a punch/cake type of thing?
    Here's an assortment:

CREAM CHEESE-FILLED STRAWBERRIES (makes 16)
    8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
    2 TBL sugar
    1 TBL vanilla
    16 large strawberries, trimmed & cored
    slivered almonds & fresh mint leaves to garnish

Combine the cheese, sugar & vanilla in a small bowl; beat well. Spoon themixture into a pastry bag fitted with a star tip. Pipe into the strawberries. Garnish w/almond slivers & fresh mint leaves.~~Austin Entertains

CHEESE STRAWS (7-8 dozen)
    1 stick butter, softened
    1 lb Cheddar cheese, gratred
    1 1/2 cups flour, sifted
    1 tsp baking powder
    1 tsp salt
    1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/4 clove garlic, crushed

Preheat oven to 250. Beat the butter in a mixing bowl until creamy. Add the cheese, flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne, black pepper & garlic; knead until smooth.
    Brush a cookie press tube w/additional flour. Fill the tube w/the dough. Pipe in 2" long strips onto a nonstick baking sheet. Bake 30-40 minute or until light brown. NOTE: You can also shape the pastry into 1" balls & flatten with a fork. Top each with a pecan half. Bake as above.~~Seaboard to Sideboard

TOMATO COMPANY CUPS (serves 12)
    9 slices bacon, cooked & crumbled
    1 large tomato, finely chopped
    1/2 onion, finely chopped
    1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1 tsp dried basil
    10 oz can refrigerated flaky biscuit dough

Preheat oven to 375°. Combine all the ingredients except the biscuit dough. Separate each biscuit into 2-3 thinner ones. Press biscuit pieces into mini muffin pan cups. Fill biscuit shells evenly with tomato mixture. Bake 10-12 minutes or until fillis bubbly.~~What Can I Bring.

You can also make mini cream puff shells (easy to do) & stuff with chicken salad. Or get mini croissants & fill with chicken or shrimp salad.

FESTIVE PUNCH (serves 10)
    18 oz frozen lemonade, prepared
    10 oz pkg frozen strawberries, thawed
    1 qt chilled ginger ale
    Ice or ice ring
    1 pint raspberry sherbet
    Fresh whole raspberries

Pour lemonade into the punch bowl & stir in strawberries. Just before serving, add ginger ale & ice, then stir in sherbet. Place a raspberry in each cup & serve.~~

• chase_gw
    17 years ago

Congratulations! I happen to being having a bridal shower early in May. Here is my menu (so far) if anything strikes you let me know and I will post the recipes.

Cold

Fresh fruit arrangement
    Assortment of cheeses
    Cream Cheese Stuffed Strawberries
    Endive leave stuffed with deviled crab
    Cherry tomato and Marinated Mozarella Kabobs
    Asparagus spears wrapped in proscuitto
    Assortment of olives

Hot

Lemon Chicken Lollipops with Mango dipping sauce
    Chile Lime Grilled shrimp
    Sweet and Sour Meatballs

Note: all of these will be served as individual pieces on small skewers

Sandwich tray

Mini bagels with cream cheese and smoked salmon
    Mini croissants filled with egg salad and salmon salad
    Deviled ham stuffed baguette

So far dessert is a cake courtesy of the Brides Mom...I'm not much of a baker!

• khandi
    17 years ago

I'd love to have your recipe for the lemon chicken lollipops with mango dipping sauce, if you don't mind. Much appreciated! Thanks.

Your menu sounds absolutely delicious!

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

This Appetizer Veggie Pizza is easy to make, crunchy and colorful with fresh vegetables and is usually gone when the party is over.

• Bev Cashen
    17 years ago

Not a recipe, but here is a cute little note from the baby to the guest.

We did this as place settings for the tables, and everyone thought it was cute. We used tinted parchment paper, rolled scroll style, and tied with pretty ribbon with the guest name in the middle. CONGRATS on your new grandchild!

FROM BABY
    I'm almost here
    I'm on my way
    I'm the reason you celebrate today
    You've planned and prepared
    For me to arrive
    Love is the reason I'm alive
    So I thank you all from
    The bottom of my heart
    for helping my mom and dad
    Give me a great start

~baby's name here~

• roselin32
    17 years ago

This is from Taste of Home and is always asked for here:
    Brickle Dip
    1 8 oz pk cream cheese, softened
    1/2 c brown sugar
    1/4 c white sugar
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 pk brickle chips
    Beat together cream cheese, sugars, and vanilla.
    Fold in chips. Serve with fruit.
    RL`

• iowajewel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the great ideas!
    I KNEW this was the place to ask for help!!!!!
    THanks for taking the time to reply!!!!!!
    Julie

• annie1992
    17 years ago

Here is one of my favorites, although I'm not sure the "mom to be" should be eating hot pepper jelly. I fill them with my own home canned Habanero Gold, but any hot pepper jelly will do. They are also good filled with chutney.

Savory Cheddar and Jalapeño Jelly Cookies from Rick Rodgers

Makes about 4 1/2 dozen

8 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 1/2 cups)
    6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, softened
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup jalapeno jelly, or sub apple butter or chutney

Place cheese and butter in a food processor (could be creamed by hand or mixer); add flour and process until the mixture forms a soft dough. Gather up the dough and divide into two flat disks. Wrap in wax paper and freeze until chilled, about 45 minutes.

Position two racks in the center and top third of the oven and preheat to 400°. Line two baking sheets with parchment or use nonstick sheets.

Using 1 teaspoon dough for each, roll the dough into small balls and place 1 inch apart on the sheets. Bake 5 minutes. Remove from the oven. Using the handle of a wooden spoon or 1/2-inch-thick dowel, poke an indentation in each cookie. Place the jelly in a small plastic bag and force it down into one corner. Snip off the corner of the bag to make a small hole. Pipe the jelly into the indentations.

Return to the oven and bake, switching the positions of the sheets from top to bottom halfway through baking, until the tops are very lightly browned, about 10 minutes. (Cookies will continue to crisp as they cool.) Transfer to racks and cool completely.

Can be baked up to two days ahead. Store at room temperature in an airtight container and separate layers with wax paper.

If you get this too cold in the freezer it's hard to handle, but becomes more pliable if you let it set a minute. They are so yummy they are addictive and everyone wants me to make these now.

Annie

• woodie
    17 years ago

Congratulations on your first grandchild - the first one is always so special!

I recently found a recipe website that I like a lot and they happen to have a baby shower feature that you might find interesting.

I'm not exactly certain what types of foods you might want, but here are some sandwich ideas I might choose for an afternoon baby shower. I love appetizer type foods and think they're always nice to have a large assortment at a party so I've posted some favorite recipes.

Wizardnm/Nancy's Cream cheese filling for wraps
    8 oz pkg. cream cheese
    2 green onions (white part and about 1 inch of the green part)
    2 tbsp. dry ranch dressing mix
    2 to 3 tbsp white wine (optional)

Combine all in a food processor and process until smooth. Spread a couple tbsp of mixture on each tortilla.
    Fill using leaf lettuce, sliced deli meat of choice.

A great cocktail pinwheel can also be made using the above mixture and the following.
    Olive and Green Chili Blend
    ¾ C chopped green olives
    ¾ C chopped black olives
    1 can (4.5 oz) chopped green chili's
    Combine the olives and green chili's.
    Spread a tortilla with the cream cheese mixture then spread with olive mixture.
    Roll up tightly and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 hrs or longer.
    Unwrap and slice into pinwheels about 1 inch thick.
    During the holidays I like to combine cream cheese with a bit of cranberry relish, spread on a tortilla and place deli thin sliced smoked turkey on it. Roll up and refrigerate as above. Yummy! (Nancy)
    CREAM CHEESE SANDWICHES
    Posted by: Lindac (My Page) on Fri, Aug 16, 02 at 12:35

8 oz cream cheese, softened, add 2 oz blue cheese,2 tsp w'shire, a rounded teaspoon chopped parsley, fresh if possible,2 T sherry ( dry or cream) and 1/4 cup chopped pecans. 8 oz cream cheese, 2 tsp grated lemon rind, 2 tsp rosemary, chopped fine and a couple of squeezes lemon juice to make it spreadable. Cream cheese with a can of tiny shrimp, drained and seasoned with grated lemon rind and horse radish. Date nut bread spread with cream cheese.

MARILYN'S HOLIDAY DEVILLED EGGS
    Pink and Blue for this shower, I would think!
    Posted by: DanaIN (My Page) on Sat, Jul 5, 03 at 10:04

Place eggs in single layer in saucepan. Cover completely with water and add a large amount of salt, 2 tablespoons and about 1 tablespoon vinegar. Cover and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, keeping covered and allow to sit undisturbed for 25 minutes. Drain water and plunge eggs into ice water.
    If coloring eggs, for each color bring about 2/3 cup of water to a boil. stir in about 1/4 teaspoon vinegar and food color as desired. Carefully drop in cooked egg white and leave it in the water until it reaches the color you want (color will become more intense out of the water). Drain well on a rack until cool, fill as desired. Also, I got my egg plate at Walmart for about $3 I think!

If you be sure to put a few drops of vinegar in your hot water with the food color, you will get darker eggs.

Cool completely before peeling and remove yolks. Mash yolks and stir in other desired ingredients (Miracle Whip, mustard, pinch of sugar). Fill eggs (using a pastry bag) with yolk mixture and garnish as desired.

Posted by: cookingrvc (My Page) on Sun, Nov 7, 04 at 12:49
    Had a lot of eggs in the fridge, and a fair amount of cheese, so I put together a crustless quiche in a 13x9 pan.
    This one was good, I must say. They key is finding the perfect ratio of eggs to cream, which I think I've nailed.
    As long as there are 1 1/2 cups cream (I guess you can use milk, although I haven't used it straight yet) to 4 large eggs, it is foolproof...
    Measurements are approximate. I just make sure that the fillings substantially fill up the baking dish before the liquids are added.
    Can make ahead and refrigerate. Remove from fridge and let sit for 30 minutes before heating in 200° oven for 30 minutes.
    Large Quiche
    4 1/2 Cups cream
    12 Eggs
    Salt & Pepper
    1 lb bacon - crisp
    1/3 lb ham (I had sliced, but you can get the ham slabs and cut into cubes)
    1 large onion - chopped
    8 oz swiss - grated
    4 oz. goat cheese - crumbled
    5 oz. cheedar - shredded
    Preheat oven to 350°
    Mix eggs, cream, salt, and pepper - set aside
    Fill baking dish with fillings.
    Pour egg mixture over filling.
    Bake for 50 - 60 minutes, or until center is set.

"Sweet Sausage Puffs"
    Vivian31
    1 pkg cocktail sausages
    1 can (10) biscuits
    Preheat oven to 350
    Roll biscuits flat, cut into quarters, roll 1 cocktail sausauge into it and seal edge. Please seam side down in a greased baking dish.
    Sauce:
    1/2 c. butter
    1 c. brown sugar
    1/2 cup fine chop pecans
    2 tbsp. water
    Melt butter, add brown sugar, pecans, water, bring to boil.
    Pour over top of sausage rolls and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

PARTY SHRIMP SPREAD
    Posted by: Ruthanna (My Page) on Mon, Oct 7, 02 at 17:07

2 (8 oz.) pkg. softened cream cheese
    1 cup cocktail sauce
    1 1/2 cups (1 lb.) cooked baby shrimp
    1/3 cup chopped green onions
    1/3 cup chopped green pepper
    1/3 cup sliced ripe olives
    1/3 cup diced fresh tomatoes, drained
    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese and/or mozzarella

On a pizza pan or large, flat round tray, spread the cream cheese evenly. Spread the cocktail sauce on top. Sprinkle the shrimp, green onions, green pepper, olives and tomatoes onto the cocktail sauce. Distribute the Parmesan cheese evenly over all the other ingredients so it looks like a pizza. Cover and chill until serving time. Serve as a spread with crackers.

Posted by brenda55 (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 28, 06 at 15:37
    I know, most are familiar with the cream cheese topped with the Raspberry Roasted Chipotle Sauce. I was served a recent appetizer where the cream cheese had actually been blended with the Raspberry Roasted Chipotle Sauce and then topped with toasted pecans. It was very good and relatively quick and easy

• sharon_fl
    17 years ago

For my DD's baby shower, I served a fresh tomato stuffed with Lemon Chicken Salad, served on a bed of curly lettuce. I also laid across the other edge of the plate-a wooden skewer of fresh fruit chunks and 3 slices of specialty breads-banana, date and zucchini. I even put softened butter into a floral candy mold to have individual butter pats on the top of the breads.
    The plate was really colorful for presentation.
    For the dessert-I made Blueberry delight-served with ice cream & a warm butter sauce.
    A cute idea for a centerpiece that I made was to use a 1 lb coffee can per centerpiece. I painted them white then glued a chunk of floral foam to the inside bottom of the can. Going with a color scheme of pink, blue, yellow..I purchased daisy floral bunches on sale at Walmart. Then I bought a pkg of Pampers (the 2nd size up from newborns) and covered the cans with a diaper! I did add some fiberfill in the back to creat a little 'bum'. I used puff paint and wrote across the belly of the diaper-"Baby ___"
    (mom's last name). Inserted the daisies into the can-real cute!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida