Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: looking for field meal ideas & recipes

Posted by Stacii (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 11, 14 at 9:08

It's spring and the farm is about to get a lot busier for the next few months. My husband won't leave the field to eat and I'm not too thrilled when he sends a worker out for fried chicken in bulk.

I'm looking for healthier field meals that I'd feel comfortable feeding my husband who has high cholesterol and had a bypass 2 years ago.

I could also use some ideas on making these meals portable and keeping them hot until I can lure the men out of the field.

Thank you in advance,

Staci

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: looking for field meal ideas & recipes

You did not say how many men you must feed at each meal?

Make many ground beef dishes healthier by using ground turkey instead:

~ taco meat (black beans added?) with all the toppings for tacos, flour and corn tortillas, fresh fruit, cookies and lots limeade and lemonade, iced tea - keep the taco meat filling hot in a crock pot, covered, insulated with newspapers and/or towels

~Italian meat sauce and cooked penne/ziti layered in the crock pot and kept hot, garlic bread and tossed salad, brownies, iced tea

~Pulled chicken or turkey BBQ in the crock pot, buns, slaw, fruit, baked beans, Pig Pickin' Cake, iced tea

I'm going to make this for my guys at my local service station soon:

~Supersize Stromboli Sandwiches

1 lb ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 lb pork sausage (or turkey sausage)
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
salt and pepper
1 jar(s) pizza sauce
1 tsp italian seasoning
1/2 tsp dried basil
1 loaf italian bread
1 pkg sliced pepperoni
2 c mozzarella cheese

1.Preheat oven to 350°.
2.Fry ground beef, sausage, bell pepper, onion, salt and pepper until browned; drain well.
3.Add pizza sauce, Italian seasoning and basil. Stir to coat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
4.Split Italian bread in half lengthwise; place on large sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil. Place a layer of pepperoni on bottom half of bread.
5.Add a layer of the meat mixture; top with a layer of grated mozzarella cheese.
6.Place top half of bread on the layers; wrap well in foil and bake 15 minutes.
7.Cut into 6 pieces.

Teresa

This post was edited by teresa_nc7 on Wed, Apr 16, 14 at 8:36

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here