Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangomoon_gw

LOOKING for: Traditional Tamale Pie

mangomoon
16 years ago

I am on my second recipe of tamale pie. The first one I found on the net, apparently untested by the son of someone who used to make it, as he attempted to recall all of the ingredients. What a mistake that was. Then I tried another recipe and it is ok, except there seems to be controversy as to whether traditional tamale pie should have Masa Harina (corn based meal) over regular corn meal. I have used Masa Harina many times for other recipes, and even though they both are corn meals, they have VERY different tastes. Anyway, this dish turned out ok, but somehow it seems it should have had the Masa over the yellow corn meal.

Anyone do it differently?

Comments (5)

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

TAMALE PIE
    Filling:
    1 lb lean ground beef
    1 mediu onion, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen
    1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes or 1 cup canned crushed
    1/2 cup unsalted beef stock
    1/4 cup raisins, optional
    1/4 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed green olives
    1 TBL chili powder
    2 tsp ground cumin (I use more)
    1/2 tsp salt + more to taste
    1/2 tsp dried oregano

Topping:
    2 cup unsalted beef stock
    1 cup masa harina
    1/2 tsp chili pwder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 egg, separated
    1/2 cup (2 oz) grated mild or medium cheddar

Crema, optional

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a medium baking dish. In a large skillet, saute the beef, onion, bell pepper & garlic until the meat is lightly browned. Pour off any accumulated fat. Mix in the corn, tomatoes, stock, raisins & olives. Stir in the chili powder, the cumin, 1/2 tsp salt & oregano. Cook uncovered over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. At the end of cooking the mixture should no longer be soupy. Taste & add more salt if needed. If it seems too moist, raise the heat & cook another minute or 2.
    while the filling cooks, prepare the dough topping; In a heavy saucepan bring the stock to a boil & gradually add in the masa harina, stirring constantly. Sprinkle in the chili powder & salt. Reduce the heat & continue stirring until the masa is good & stiff, 8-0 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. In a small bowl, beat the egg yolk & stir it into the masa. In another small bowl, beat the egg white until stiff & fold it into the masa.
    Spoon the filling into the baking dish. Spread the batter over it. Top w/the grated cheese. Bake the pie 30 minutes or until it is slightly puffed & lightly browned.
    Spoon a TBL or 2 of crema over each serving.~~TX Home Cooking

CREMA
    1 cup whipping cream, preferably not ultra-pasteurized
    2 TBL buttermilk

In a small glass bowl, combine both ingredients. Cover the bowl loosely & let stand at room temperature for 8-24 hours until the cream is thickened & tart. Stir it well, cover tightly & refrigerate. Use as needed. Will keep up to 10 days.~~

• shambo
    15 years ago

Mango, thanks for asking about tamale pie. I love to eat tamales but have never gotten inspired enough to actually make them. I've often wondered about using masa instead of cornmeal in tamale pie recipes, thinking it would more closely resemble real tamales.

Ginger, your recipe, especially the crust, sounds perfect for someone like me, who wants the flavor without the labor intensive wrapping & steaming. I often make chili (sometimes green chili) flavored braised beef or pork roasts. Do you think there would be any reason why I couldn't use those meats for fillings?

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

I don't see why not.

• becky_ca
    15 years ago

Tamale Pie is my DH's favorite. This is my MIL's recipe, and family legend is that she got it from a Hispanic friend, although I don't know how authentic it is (or if tamale pie is really an authentic Mexican dish). You can use ground beef as the recipe calls for, but I've also used leftover shredded chicken or pork with tasty results.

Becky

* Exported from MasterCook *

Tamale Pie

Recipe By :Marilyn Chatham
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 pound ground beef
    1 can corn -- undrained
    1 can whole olives -- drained
    3/4 cup onion -- chopped
    2 teaspoons cumin
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 can chili Las Palmas (large size)
    1 dozen corn tortillas
    3 tablespoons cornmeal (I omit)
    2 cups grated cheddar cheese
    garlic powder (I use fresh)
    salt
    pepper

Brown meat, onion and spices - add cornmeal and chile powder. Add corn and liquid, cheese and olives. In 9 x 13 pan, alternate mixture with corn tortillas - cover all with sauce. Cover and bake 30 minutes at 350F. Take out, mix well until all tortillas are in pieces. Return to oven and bake 30 minutes more, covered.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• Aiguo21
    13 years ago

Excellent post - very interesting research pass4sure 70-542 I will look more into this! keep it up. I found very good and pass4sure 70-568 informative blog and have bookmarked your site for future reference. I really appreciate your way pass4sure mb2-631 of presenting such an excellent suggestion. I want more and i will come back here to see more updates in future as well. pass4sure mb6-819 My best wishes for you always so keep it up.

Sponsored
BME Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structure