Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Carrot cake with cinnamon and orange zest

Posted by taoseeker (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 20:33

Years ago I used to bake what I think of as a classic carrot cake. Unfortunately I have lost the recipe and it's been gone for years too, so I doubt it ever will turn up. I went on a no sugar, no sweets diet and most baking went out the window. Things are different now and I want to bake a carrot cake!

The only thing I remember is I especially liked the combination of cinnamon and orange zest, and I think it was the kind of batter where you whip sugar and eggs, then carefully add flour and other ingredients. I think it called for sunflower oil, and no butter.

I have looked at different recipes and most seem to have at least two or three different spices, and very few have orange zest. Could I be wrong about cinnamon as single spice? I'm not at all sure what the recipe really called for.

Any thoughts or good ideas when it comes to carrot cake?

This post was edited by taoseeker on Sat, Mar 8, 14 at 20:43

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Carrot cake with cinnamon and orange zest

I ended up trying this recipe:

4 eggs
10 ounces sugar

10 ounces all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon star anise
1/2 teaspoon salt

5 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
18 ounces grated carrot

I only used 1 teaspoon cinnamon and added finely grated orange zest. It tasted very good, but I have had softer carrot cakes.

o

Here's the favorite recipe of a friend who tried every recipe she found until this one. It's a winner. Absolutely delicious.

Carrot Cake

2 c. flour
1 1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. each baking powder and salt
4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. each nutmeg and ginger
1/8 tsp. cloves

3 eggs
1 c. oil
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. grated carrots (5 or 6)
1 T. grated orange rind
8 oz. crushed pineapple, drained saving 1 T. juice
1 c. each sweetened coconut flakes and raisins
2 c. walnuts, chopped

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease & wax paper 9x13 pan

Whisk together dry ingred.; set aside. Beat eggs, oil, vanilla and 1 T. pineapple juice in lg. bowl.
Mix in carrots, rind, pineapple, coconut, raisins & walnuts. Stir in dry ingred. Do not overmix.
Bake 40-50 min. (9x13). Cupcakes 25-30 min.

Frosting
4 oz. unsalted butter, room temp.
16 oz. cream cheese, room temp.
4 tsp. vanilla
pinch salt
3 c. pd. sugar

Beat butter, cream cheese together. Mix in vanilla & salt. Beat in sugar 1 c. at a time.

o

Hi Iris, and thanks :- )

Lots more ingredients in your recipe and it looks very promising. I haven't had a reason to bake cake just yet, but I will give it my best attempt.

Regards

o

IMO Best Carrot Cake hands down is LINDAC recipe Ive used it for years.....a search on this site should bring it up...it truly is fantastic!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here