Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
khandi_gw

RECIPE: Banana Cake

khandi
17 years ago

I made this cake today and it was really good! Very light. When I was spreading the topping, I thought that there wouldn't be enough because it was spread really thin in order to cover that size cake. But once it broiled, it was just right. It gave just the right amount of sweetness to the cake. At first I used 2 large bananas and it didn't quite make 1 cup. So I used 1/2 of another large banana which made it just over 1 cup. Next time I will use 3 large bananas because the cake is light and can take the extra 1/4 cup or so of mashed banana. My aunt submitted this recipe for our cookbook. My BIL and SIL stopped by when we were tasting the cake. It's all gone! Will have to make nother one tomorrow with the rest of my bananas.

Banana Cake

2 cups flour

1½ tsp baking powder

¾ tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

1½ cups sugar

1/3 cup soft margarine

½ cup buttermilk or sour milk

1 cup mashed bananas

2 eggs, unbeaten

1 tsp vanilla

Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 F.

Cream together margarine and sugar. Add milk and bananas. Add dry ingredients, and eggs and vanilla. Beat 1 minute on low speed (by hand will do). Pour into prepared dish.

Bake for approximately 30 minutes. Cool cake for 5 minutes before spreading with topping.

Topping:

¼ cup margarine

¾ cup brown sugar

1½ Tbsp milk

½ cup shredded coconut

¼ cup chopped nuts (walnuts)

Cream together the margarine and brown sugar. Add milk and beat until smooth. Add coconut and nuts, and mix well.

Spread mixture on cake and broil until bubbly and lightly browned. (Keep an eye on it. Now is not the time to read a book!)