Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Banana Cake

Posted by khandi (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 07 at 19:45

I made this cake today and it was really good! Very light. When I was spreading the topping, I thought that there wouldn't be enough because it was spread really thin in order to cover that size cake. But once it broiled, it was just right. It gave just the right amount of sweetness to the cake. At first I used 2 large bananas and it didn't quite make 1 cup. So I used 1/2 of another large banana which made it just over 1 cup. Next time I will use 3 large bananas because the cake is light and can take the extra 1/4 cup or so of mashed banana. My aunt submitted this recipe for our cookbook. My BIL and SIL stopped by when we were tasting the cake. It's all gone! Will have to make nother one tomorrow with the rest of my bananas.

Banana Cake

2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cups sugar
1/3 cup soft margarine
cup buttermilk or sour milk
1 cup mashed bananas
2 eggs, unbeaten
1 tsp vanilla

Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 F.

Cream together margarine and sugar. Add milk and bananas. Add dry ingredients, and eggs and vanilla. Beat 1 minute on low speed (by hand will do). Pour into prepared dish.

Bake for approximately 30 minutes. Cool cake for 5 minutes before spreading with topping.

Topping:

cup margarine
cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp milk
cup shredded coconut
cup chopped nuts (walnuts)

Cream together the margarine and brown sugar. Add milk and beat until smooth. Add coconut and nuts, and mix well.

Spread mixture on cake and broil until bubbly and lightly browned. (Keep an eye on it. Now is not the time to read a book!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Banana Cake

I think this cake might be a good one to have the grand daughters bake for one meal at our "Gathering" for Easter..... which is a 5 day affair.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here