Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joann_fla

LOOKING for: Pizza crust recipe?

JoAnn_Fla
14 years ago

Do you make a good pizza crust? I want the kind you just press into the pan, I can use my bread machine for the dough. Thanks

Comments (5)

• iris_gal
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm eager to try this one - calls for patting it into a round tho. No kneading!
    The reviews were superlative.
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quick-and-Easy-Pizza-Crust/Detail.aspx

Quick and Easy Pizza Crust

1 (.25 ounce) pkg active dry yeast
    1 tsp sugar
    1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
    2 1/2 cups bread flour (may subst all purpose)
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
    In mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water.
    Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
    Stir in flour, salt and oil. Beat until smooth. Let rest for 5 minutes.
    Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat or roll into a round.
    Transfer crust to a lightly greased pizza pan (or 9x13) or baker's peel dusted with cornmeal.

[pre bake for 6-7 min;add toppings & finish baking]
    Spread with desired toppings and bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

Let baked pizza cool for 5 minutes before serving.

• becky_ca
    14 years ago

Here's a good recipe for you. You don't even need to use the bread machine since there's no kneading involved, but you do need to plan ahead and make it the day before because while you can use it sooner, it's really at it's best after 24 hours. Lately I've been using the 5 minute Artisan Bread dough for our crusts, and it's even better. But again, I really think it's at it's best after a few days in the fridge. I'll post that recipe too - and if you're interested in more I'm sure you can get the book from your library.

Becky

* Exported from MasterCook *

Artisanal Pizza Dough

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 cups bread or all purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 1/4 cups 2% low-fat milk
    2 tablespoons olive oil -- plus more for bowl

Whisk the flour, yeast and salt together in a large bowl, then pour in the milk and oil. Mix together with a large fork or your hands. Knead once or twice to form a ball. It may be sticky, but that's okay.

Oil a bowl and set the dough in it. Lay a sheet of waxed paper loosely over the top, then cover with plastic wrap. Place a clean dish towel over the bowl and allow to rise at room temperature and undisturbed for 24 hours. Turn the dough once in the bowl about 3 hours before you want to use it. The 24 hour fermentation process takes the place of kneading the dough.

When you are ready to make your pizza, divide the dough in half on a lightly floured board, then proceed with your pizza making. The dough can be frozen for up to a month; Thaw at room temperature before using.

Makes two 12"-14" pizza crusts

Source:
    ""Pizza on the Grill" by Elizabeth Karmel and Bob Blumer"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bread Boule in 5 Minutes a Day

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    3 cups lukewarm water (about 100 degrees)
    1 1/2 tablespoons granulated yeast
    1 1/2 tablespoons kosher or other coarse salt
    6 1/2 cups all-purpose white flour (no need to sift)
    Cornmeal -- for the pizza peel

In a 5-quart bowl, combine the yeast, water and salt. Add all the flour, then use a wooden spoon to mix until all ingredients are uniformly moist. It is not necessary to knead or continue mixing once the ingredients are wet. This will produce a loose and very wet dough.

Cover with a lid (not airtight), or plastic wrap with several holes poked into it. Allow the mixture to rise at room temperature until it begins to collapse, about 2 hours, but no more than 5 hours.

After rising, the dough can be baked immediately, or tightly covered and refrigerated up to 14 days. The dough will be easier to work with after at least 3 hours refrigeration.

To bake, prepare a pizza peel by sprinkling it with cornmeal. Alternatively, overturn a baking sheet and sprinkle it with cornmeal. This will prevent the bread from sticking when you transfer it to the oven.

Uncover the dough and sprinkle the surface with flour. Pull up and cut off a 1-pound (grapefruit-size) piece of dough (serrated knives are best). Recover the remaining dough in the bowl and refrigerate for baking at another time.

Hold the mass of dough in your hands and add a little more flour as needed so it won't stick. Create a smooth ball of dough by gently pulling the sides down around to the bottom, rotating the dough as you go.

While stretching, most of the dusting flour will fall off. The bottom of the loaf may appear to be a collection of bunched ends, but it will flatten out during resting and baking. This shaping should take no more than 1 minute.

Place the dough on the peel or overturned baking sheet. Allow the loaf to rest for about 40 minutes (2-3 hours if dough is cold). It does not need to be covered. The bread may not rise much during this time; this is normal.

Twenty minutes before baking, place a pizza stone on the center rack of the oven. If you don't have a baking stone, use another baking sheet. Remove any upper racks. Place a broiler pan on a rack below the pizza stone or on the floor of the oven. Preheat oven to 450 F.

When the dough has rested for 40 minutes, dust the top liberally with flour, then use a serrated knife to slash a 1/4-inch-deep cross or tic-tac-toe pattern into the top.

Slide the loaf off the peel or overturned baking sheet and onto the baking stone. Quickly but carefully pour 1 cup of hot water into the broiler tray and close the oven door.

Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the crust is nicely browned and firm to the touch. Allow the bread to cool completely, preferably on a wire cooling rack.

Makes four 1-pound loaves

Recipe from Jeff Hertzberg and Zoe Francois' "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day," Thomas Dunne Books, November 2007, $27.95

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    NOTES : Becky's Notes: I find it easier to let the dough rest and rise on cornmeal dusted parchment paper rather than the peel. It's such a wet dough that even with the cornmeal it sticks to the peel. I use polenta or grits rather than fine cornmeal for dusting. If your dough's been in the fridge let it rise for about 3 hours before baking.

• pat_t
    14 years ago

Here's the one I use:

BEST PIZZA DOUGH FOR ABM

For 1-1/2 lb. (makes two 12-inch pizzas or one 15-x-10-inch pizza)

3/4 cup milk
    1/4 cup plus 2 Tblsp. water
    1-1/2 Tblsp. olive oil
    1 tsp. salt
    3 cups all-purpose flour
    2 tsp. yeast
    cornmeal

For 1 lb. (makes one 12-inch pizza)

1/2 cup milk
    1/4 cup water
    1 Tblsp. olive oil
    3/4 tsp. salt
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    1-1/2 tsp. yeast

Select recipe size desired. Add first 6 ingredients to bread machine pan according to manufacturers directions. Process in the dough/manual cycle. Remove dough from bread machine pan. Grease appropriate pan or stone; sprinkle with cornmeal. Roll or pat dough to fit pan. Top as desired. Bake in conventional oven at 425 degrees F. for 15 to 25 minutes or until done. Pizza is done when edge of crust is golden brown and cheese is bubbly.

WHOLE WHEAT PIZZA DOUGH: Replace 3/4 cup all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour in 1-1/2 lb. Recipe. OR replace 1/2 cup all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour in 1 lb. Recipe.

Checking dough consistency: Check dough after a few minutes of mixing; it should form a soft, smooth ball around the blade. If dough is too stiff or dry, add additional liquid, 1 tsp. at a time, until dough is of right consistency. If dough is too soft and sticky, add additional bread flour, 1 tsp. at a time.

• JoAnn_Fla
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I made the Artisanal Pizza Dough last night, an the pizza tonight. It was very good, it had a nice crunch to the crust. It easy enough to make, the only thing I didn't like was the yeasty smell. I was a bit worried it might have been sour, it was fine. Thanks for the recipe Becky.

I cut the recipe in half and I had plenty of dough for my 12" pan, I could have stretched it more if I had a bigger pan.

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

That Artisanal Dough has been my favorite the past year. It's the only one I make and I've got half the recipe in my freezer right now.

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor