Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
disneyginger

LOOKING for: Hash Brown Casserole Recipe

disneyginger
16 years ago

I have never made a Hash Brown Casserole, and one of the new in-laws to our family asked for it at our Easter Brunch.

There appears to be tater tot based casserole recipes to literally plain hash browns, and all sorts of these casseroles online that have cheese, sour cream and lots of artery clogging ingredients when I google or do other searches.

Which one is the best in your opinion?

Thanks.

Comments (7)

• bessiedawg
    16 years ago

This is the only one I have tried. My family likes it.

Hash Brown Casserole

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

1 - 32 oz. hash browns-southern style
    1 stick butter, melted
    1/2 cup chopped onions
    1 teas. salt
    1/2 teas. pepper
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    2 cups sour cream
    2 cups cheddar cheese

1 pkg. onion and garlic croutons
    1 stick butter, melted

Mix first 8 ingredients together. Pour into 9X13 baking dish. Crush croutons and mix with butter. Put this on top of casserole.

Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Uncover last 15 minutes.

Can divide into 2-3 casseroles before baking and freeze. If freezing, do not put crouton mixture on top.

This came from my step-mother. She uses crushed potato chips on top for some crunch. The croutons give it a bit more flavor.

Linda

• glenda_al
    16 years ago

That's the one I make!

• chase_gw
    16 years ago

This one of Woodie's is always a huge hit with company at the cottage.

OVERNIGHT BREAKFAST CASSEROLE

2 lbs. package frozen Hash Brown potatoes, thawed
    1/4-1/2 cup chopped onions
    1 lb. cooked, crumbled sausage (breakfast or Italian style - I use Italian) or cooked bacon or ham
    2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    8 -10 eggs
    3 cups milk
    S & P to taste

Spray 9 X 13 dish with cooking spray. Mix potatoes and onions, salt and pepper together and place in pan. Then spread sausage on top, then cheese. Beat eggs and milk (S & P) together and pour over other ingredients in pan, cover and set in refrigerator overnight.

Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour at 350*.

• Virginia7074
    16 years ago

I make the first one, too - usually using cream of celery soup instead of chicken.

• disneyginger
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much! This recipe will be on our table!

• pump_toad
    16 years ago

I used a recipe that was in the Pope School cookbook but haven't made it in years. I remember that I liked it.This is for small portions but of course it could be doubled.
    Saut'eed Roast Beef Hash
    1 cup leftover roast or boiled beef ,cut in small cubes
    1 cup boiled potates, cubed
    1/4 cup fresh green onion,chopped fine
    2 or 3 Tablespoons of diced green peppers
    salt & pepper to taste.
    Mix ingredients and add shortening to skillet. (I used a cast iron one) Add the hash and brown on both sides.
    If you like you can serve with a Mushroom gravy.
    Lois

• Aiguo21
    13 years ago

I acclimated the cubed "southern style" hashbrowns instead of the disconnected and aswell cut the adulate and acerb chrism in half. pass4sure 70-432 I aswell added diced ham to accomplish it added of a meal instead of a ancillary dish. pass4sure 70-443 The originals we fabricated about 15 tears ago did not accept acerb chrism and acclimated absolute butter; pass4sure 70-519 it is hardto annihilate that adulate basin if it is all done. The mos is absolute wet a it goes in the pan and forms a aerial crust, with adulate on top. I did abate the adulate to 1/4th cup and next time I anticipate I'll leave it out all calm just to abate the calories (you absolutely don't charge it with all that cheese). pass4sure 70-529 Thanks for a abundant recipe!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!