i don't want i to burn.

and i want it to slow cook for hours.

any suggestions

Linda in Tennessee

Comments (8)

• gourd_friends
    17 years ago

I love smoked brisket.
    My husband says you definitely need a smoker/grill, and it will probably take all day, or overnight. The instructions with the smoker should tell you how to smoke it to perfection.
    We just smoked a turkey a few days ago, and are looking for a brisket for the next event.

Jan

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

For a large brisket like that figure on one hour per pound using indirect heat. At no time should the temperature exceed 250, and 225 is better.

Start by using a rub on both sides. There are numerous recipes; personally I like it Texas style. Apply the rub to both sides of the room-temperature brisket and let it sit for at least a half hour. Meanwhile, get your grill ready.

If you do not have a side cooker, prepare your coals the normal way, but don't use too many at once. Depending on your grill, as few as six coals is fine. When covered with gray ash, more them to the sides of the grill, spacing them equally if it's round, or dividing them half & half if rectangular.

Put the meat in the center of the grill, cover, and let the heat build up. Periodically add soaked hardwood chips to create smoke. And keep replenishing the coals.

I also like to use a mopping sauce the last few hours, my favorite bing a Tennessee Mop I learned from some people who do pig roasts.

When done, remove from grill, wrap in aluminum foil, and let rest a half hour or so.

• valorie
    17 years ago

Brisket is one of our favorites on the smoker. We cheat a bit and take advantage of the oven some, but the meat always turns out tender and tasty. We generally cook our meat on a Friday night, for a Saturday dinner, so that's how I am writing up my instructions.

1. The night before (thursday night) you plan to smoke the brisket, season with a dry rub and wrap meat in a plastic bag. We've actually used a cajun or greek seasoning rub before...both are good...as well a a bbq rub. Refrigertate until about 1 hour before placing on smoker.

2. Friday night: smoke meat at a temp of 225-250 for about 2 hours. Place meat in an aluminum pan, cover pan with foil and place back on the smoker/grill for another 2-3 hours. (We start around 5pm, place in pan aroun 7:30). Around 10:30-11pm, I will preheat the oven to 200 degrees, pull the aluminum pan with meat off the smoker and place in the oven. (pan should still be covered with foil).

3. Allow the meat to cook in the oven all night, and part of the next day. We generally remove it from the oven around noon (Saturday), sometimes as late as 1pm.

4. Remove the meat from the pan and wrap it in foil. Now comes the unusual part: Take the foil wrapped brisket and wrap it in layers of newspaper until you feel very little heat coming through. Line the bottom of an ice chest (cooler) with crumpled newspaper. Put the wrapped brisket on top and pack the chest with more paper.

5. When it's time to serve dinner, remove the meat from the cooler and carve. It will still be hot...remember, newspaper is a great insulator!!

Brisket cooks best with low temps and long hours. This method gives the meat the smokey flavor but eliminates the need to attend the grill for such a long time...and it's EASY!!!! IT's a method that has never failed us...the meat is tender and juicy. And the best part is that it's done...I have Saturday to do what ever else I need to do...clean, prepare side dishes, etc.

v.

• valorie
    17 years ago

One thing I forgot to add....place your brisket fat side up on the smoker and in the pan. This allows the fat to "melt" through the meat, keeping it moist and flavorful.

v.

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

>we want to bbq it...Just because I'm in a fey mood:

Barbecue is what you put in your mouth, Linda. The stuff that comes out of the smoker or off the grill. It is not a verb. The act of making barbecue is grilling or smoking.

You a southeren lady now, Darlin'. Y'all should know that. ;>)

• linda_intennessee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

ok, what ever
    i want it smoked
    so, we went out today and purchased a smoker

my husband is going in for surgery tomorrow morning at 8 am'
    prayers please
    and my 4 year old sassy passed away today..all 3 pounds of her.we had x rays done 2 weeks ago, and her lungs had collapsed .
    so, with all my tears, i decided to make cream of broccoli soup, forgot to turn it on low, and it boiled all over the stove.
    then larry came in with our left over lunch, and put the plastic bag on the burner i just tuned off.....melted plastic on the grate.........
    murphey's law

• dnaleri2
    17 years ago

Is there a way to BBQ brisket in the crock pot? I have made it in the oven, it cooks for 4 hours and tastes great, but having the oven on heats up the house too much. How could I do this in the crock pot? Or is it possible?

• linda_intennessee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

sure you can, if you have a large crockpot.
    my brisket is 13 pounds........
    and i want it smoked......
    but you can cook a brisket like a pot roast...

crockpot brisket
    2 1/4 pounds beef brisket lean, trimmed of any visible fat
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    3/4 cups red wine or beer
    1 tablespoon dijon mustard
    1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves dried
    1/4 teaspoon rosemary
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 each garlic cloves minced
    1 each bay leaf crumbled
    3 each carrots cut in 2 inch pieces
    5 each potatoes red skinned, small, halved
    1 each onion quartered
    2 tablespoons tapioca, quick-cooking
    1/4 cup water

Directions Trim fat from brisket. Heat oil in a large frying pan. Over medium-high until hot, brown brisket on all sides. Place carrots, onion and potatoes in crockpot. Sprinkle tapioca over top of vegetables. Add browned brisket. Combine wine and remaining ingredients. Pour over top of brisket. Cover with lid and Cook on High for 4 1/2 to 5 hours or on LOW for 8 hours. The tapioca will thicken the liquid to make its own gravy.