Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: For Ginger! Whipping Cream Potatoes

Posted by geri_7 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 08 at 19:03

Here is a very rich and delicious potato side dish I have been making since 1979 when a friend shared her recipe!

WHIPPING CREAM POTATOES

Parboil 6 large potatoes until ALMOST soft. Peel and grate the cooked potatoes, 1 pound sharp cheddar cheese, and 1 medium onion. Layer potatoes, cheese and onion in a large baking pan. Lightly salt and pepper the layers. Whip 1 pint (2 cups) whipping cream and use it to frost the top of the potatoes. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour.
Delicious!

p.s. DO NOT sweeten the whipping cream, of course!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: For Ginger! Whipping Cream Potatoes

OMG! Thank you! My favorite food. One question though - what happens to the whipped cream on top? Does it melt down into the potato layers?

o

Yes, Ginger, it does! And the top of the dish just becomes a beautiful *bronzed* crispy....cheesy topping for a delicious creamy potato dish........a decadent favorite of all who have tasted it! ENJOY....Geri

o

Thanks so much!

o

Geri7.
Sounds super. Do you know how many lbs. of potatoes, best kind to use and size of baking dish?
TIA

o

Methinks that should be called "Ginger's Heaven"!! LOL

o

ysop1016.....

I usually use a casserole dish a little larger than 9x13. I have also used a pan that I just measured...it is about 11x15 and almost 2-inches deep. I have made this for so long that I don't really measure the ingredients. I have never weighed the potatoes but use a med large baking potato. I have always used Russet potatoes......living in Spokane....pretty close to potato heaven.

This dish is very forgiving. Choose the casserole dish you want to use and layer the cooked potatoes, cheese and onion to your liking and then frost with about an inch deep of whipped cream. You can adjust amount to serve fewer or a crowd.

Good luck, Geri

o

Thanks,Geri,
How very nice of you to measure the pan and get back to me. I can't wait to try it.
Ysop

o

I've noticed that every time I have people for dinner & serve something like this, people just scarf it down. Most are watching what they eat & for an occasional treat they really like getting dishes that are almost over the top. I know I will.

o

Geri,
I made it for dinner yesterday and it was superb. It went perfectly with a frittata that I concocted using the leftover "Popcorn Cauliflower" recipe that I got from the forum.
Thanks for the keeper.
ysop

o

ysop1016,

Thanks for the feedback! I only make this dish when I have a crew to feed, because if I have leftovers.......it's way too tempting. Like Ginger, I like to add a dish like this when family or company is around. Sort of the ultimate comfort food experience that people justify on vacation, out for dinner or at Grandma and Papa's house!

Geri

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here