Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Eggs: Sink or Float if Ok?

Posted by suzieque (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 31, 07 at 18:32

Hi - I neglected to check the date on my eggs before I went shopping. I'm making a Cream Cheese Pumpkin Pie. There's one egg in the cream cheese layer and 2 eggs in the pumpkin layer.

The pie will be baked for 45 mins. at 400 and 15 mins. at 350. Store refrigerated.

My eggs are "best if used before 2/27". Ugh ... I know, I know.

Somewhere I heard that if an egg floats in a glass of water it's not ok ... or the other way around. These sink and hover just slightly over the bottom of the glass.

What do you think?

Suzieque

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Eggs: Sink or Float if Ok?

Suzie they should be just fine.

An egg floats when it is old and air has entered.

It sinks to the bottom of the glass because it's heavier, there's no air inside, and it's a fresher egg.

SharonCb

o

Thanks, Sharon! That's exactly the answer I was hoping for.

Suzieque

o

When my mother was a wee girl they didn't have refrigeration as we know it. And, the hen wouldn't lay in the cold. Soooo.... they would store the eggs in barrels in the cool cellar in something... I think "isinglass"??? . I guess eggs can keep a really long time if properly stored.

o

And I know lots of farmers that had free range chickens back in the 40's. When they would find an egg that they weren't sure about the freshness, they would put it into a tall glass of water. If it floated, it was thrown away.

o

There's another way to tell if an egg is fresh, too. A fresh egg will have a rough, chalky feel to the shell, a stale egg has a smooth shell.

Also, a stale egg will 'rattle' when shaken. A fresh egg won't. (Hold it to your ear while shaking - there's no mistaking it.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here