Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Easy alfredo sauce from scratch?

Posted by linnea56 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 18:00

My grad student daughter is always ordering chicken alfredo in restaurants. She cooks a lot but doesn't like the sauces that come in a jar.

I told her I would find out how to make it from scratch, as I figured it must start out with a white sauce base. That I could teach her easily enough.

The only problems I foresee are: she is a student, so complicated recipes are out. Plus, it would be best if it did not use heavy cream. There is no grocery store nearby other than a convenience store, whose stock caters to students, and she does not have a car. When we take her shopping every now and then, what she buys has to last. Ingredients like milk, sour cream, cream cheese, and cheese would be no problem to find at the convenience store.

Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Easy alfredo sauce from scratch?

Check the Cooking Forum

o

The original recipe for this classic preparation is simple and perfect for your daughter's situation: Pasta, unsalted butter and grated, aged parmigiano-reggiano cheese. Professionally speaking, anything could be added to this to suit a variety of tastes but this is the basic authentic recipe, which is not a cream sauce.

o

not from scratch..... I use Knorr alfredo dry mix. 1/2 cup mix to 2 cups milk, it's very good. I sprinkle a little grated romano on top if I'm just making it for pasta.

o

First time here. A friend gave me a Japanese eggplant plant. How can I cook it without using tomato sauce or oil?

o

This recipe used to be on the back of the box of Skinner's Fettuccine. It is so easy. Just make everything is put out ahead of time so that it is at room temperature.

1 cup whipping cream
1 stick butter or margarine
1 T dried parsley or 1/4 cup fresh
1 - 1 ½ cups Parmesan cheese
1 package (12 oz) fettucine, uncooked

Bring all items to room temperature.

Cook fettucine according to package directions in salted water and drain, reserving some of the cooking water. Put in large bowl.

Immediately add the remaining ingredients to the hot pasta and stir until extremely well mixed and cheese is melted. If necessary, stir in a small ladle of the cooking water to make a very creamy sauce

o

walnutcreek, that sounds like a super alfredo sauce to add to my low carb recipes. I would add it to sauteed veggies and for those that can have the carbs, over the pasta. I bet this would make a great sauce for a lasagna with white sauce.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here