Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for: garden city, mi. loose burgers

Posted by always.cooking (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 18:00

I'm looking for the recipe for the ole time Loose Burgers I got in Garden City with the chili sauce. They were delicious. The place is gone now, of course. Some people call them Maid Rites. I'm not sure what the correct name is but either way, the recipe would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for: garden city, mi. loose burgers

not sure if this is what you're looking for, it says they are popular in the midwest not specifically Garden City.

Here is a link that might be useful: maid rite copycat recipe

o

Maid Rites are a big deal in the midwest, and I was first introduced to them when visiting my husband's family in Iowa. Maid Rites re usually steamed ground beef. You can sort-of duplicate the process at home by cooking the lightly browned ground beef in a combination of beef broth and chicken broth until all the liquid is absorbed and evaporated. The recipe linked to above is close except for the inclusion of the onion soup mix.

I'm curious about the chili sauce, though. Maid Rites are served with mustard and/or catsup. When you say chili sauce, are you talking about the same kind of chili sauce used for chili dogs? Or are you referring to the chili sauce condiment that is more like a chunky ketchup product?

o

The chili sauce I'm referring to is like chili you eat in a bowl - just without the beans. It had it's own taste and really complimented the loose burger. The ones I had NEVER had pickles or relish - just onions and mustard. Oh, they make me hungry just thinking about them. Kinda like a chili dog that A&W had back then.

o
RE: looking for: garden city, loose burgers

Thanks so much for the loose burger/Maid Rite copycat recipe. I just need the chili dog chili recipe and I'll be all set !!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here