Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eileenlaunonen

LOOKING for: Non Mayo Sauce for Crab cakes

eileenlaunonen
16 years ago

Does anyone have a non Mayo based sauce to serve with lump crabcakes (Cookingrv...Sues recipe) TIA

Comments (10)

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Thin a little cream cheese with milk and add some ranch dressing powder. Yummy!

• lindac
    16 years ago

The last time I had crab cakes theyw ere served with a hot sauce...very like a cocktail sauce but a bit sweeter.
    Linda C

• wizardnm
    16 years ago

you might try playing around with the sauce from this recipe

Gingered Shrimp Cakes

1 lb. large shrimp, cooked
    4 scallions, sliced, green parts included
    1 Tbsp freshly grated ginger
    Grated lemon zest from 1 lemon
    2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 C fresh corn, cooked, cut off cob
    1 lg egg
    3 Tbsp mayonnaise
    1/2 tsp hot pepper sauce
    1/2 tsp salt
    Pinch of ground black pepper
    1 1/2 C fresh bread crumbs or panko (divided)

2 Tbsp olive oil (or more, for frying)
    1 Tbsp butter (with the oil, for frying)

Coarsely chop shrimp in bowl. Add scallions, ginger, lemon zest, parsley and corn. Combine mayonnaise, egg, hot sauce, salt and pepper and fold into shrimp mixture.
    Add 1 Cup breadcrumbs and gently mix.
    Form into 4 patties and gently dredge in remaining 1/2 C breadcrumbs, adding more if necessary.
    Put on a plate, cover with plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 min and up to 4 hours.

Heat oil and butter in large skillet over med-high heat. Saute cakes until cooked through and golden brown on both sides, adding more oil to skillet as needed, about 8 minutes.

Chile Garlic Sauce

To make Chile-garlic cream sauce, combine 2 Tbsp chile-garlic sauce ( from Asia aisle at supermarket) and juice of 1/2 lime with 1/2 cup sour cream or cream fraiche.

Spoon about 3 Tbsp of sauce on each plate and place shrimp cake on it, serve immediately.
    Makes four servings.

Variation: Substitute lump crab meat for the shrimp.

Nancy

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Was either of these the recipes you were looking for on the other thread?

Here is a link that might be useful: Bar cookies

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Here's one that doesn't have mayonnaise in the sauce & it's made ahead which always helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Crab Cakes & Sauce

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Ladies I think I will try nancy's sauce and Ginger....Roselines looks familiar Thanks

• cookingrvc
    16 years ago

Red pepper sauce. Blacken two red peppers over the stovetop flame, put in a paper bag and let steam the skins til they're loose. Then peel the skin off (leave some of the charred skin) and pulse in a food processor with some sauteed garlic and olive oil. nice.

If you want something on the non-pepper side, squeeze some fresh lemon juice and let 'er rip. Or, reduce some cream with sun-dried tomatoes in oil that have been chopped fine, little garlic, some basil.
    s

• bbqbear
    15 years ago

mmm.. you don't say WHY you are avoiding mayo, so hard to answer. It it the fat? I often subsitute low fat yogurt for mayo in recipes like crab cakes (I am a Marylander too). Mayo only serves as a binder in crab cakes so they don't fall apart as you cook them. After all... the star of the show should be ... #1, the crab; and #2 ... the crab. (use only lump backfin from blue crabs too). If fat is an issue try broiling instead of frying. And never ever use mayo or tartar sauce on a good crab cake. They need nothing or at very least a tiny bit of cocktail sauce (ketchup and horseradish).

• eileenlaunonen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No reason other than I dont like it I dont even eat potato salad or anything made with mayo,just dont like it.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!