Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggerb2

RECIPE: Looking: tea bread recipe

diggerb2
15 years ago

i am looking for a tea bread recipe what i can remember is that it took salt, soda and baking powder and buttermilk in addition to the flour, sugar and butter and eggs, then you could adapt the recipe by adding nuts, bananas, blue berries, lemon poppyseeds etc. the most unusual thing about it was that if you made the lemon bread when it was baked and while it was still warm you brushed it with fresh lemon juice and sprinkled the top with granulated sugar. that formed a sweet-tart crunchy crusty glaze. i was pretty sure that i got it from either first magazine or self magazine way back in the mid 1990's.

i googled for a lemon tea bread but didn't find anything that struck me as right. anybody got something like this

diggerb2

Comments (4)

• glenda_al
    15 years ago

Here's Barefoot Contessa's recipe for lemon bread

1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
    2 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
    4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
    1/3 cup grated lemon zest (6 to 8 large lemons)
    3 cups flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, divided
    3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    For the glaze:
    nocoupons
    2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
    3 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 (8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch) loaf pans. You may also line the bottom with parchment paper, if desired.

Cream the butter and 2 cups granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, and the lemon zest.

Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, the buttermilk, and vanilla. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour. Divide the batter evenly between the pans, smooth the tops, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.

Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves. When the cakes are done, allow to cool for 10 minutes. Remove the cakes from the pans and set them on a rack set over a tray or sheet pan; spoon the lemon syrup over them. Allow the cakes to cool completely.

For the glaze, combine the confectioners' sugar and the lemon juice in a bowl, mixing with a wire whisk until smooth. Pour over the tops of the cakes and allow the glaze to drizzle down the sides.

• diggerb2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks glenda, that might do it for me. my recipe only made 1 loaf. but i do remember 1 stick butter, 2 eggs. so i should be able to scale this one down a bit to get what i'm looking for.

digger

• Shawnmarie Stengel
    7 years ago

Hi diggerb2 are you the same person who posted a cable knitting explanation on a different site? If so I have a question for you please confirm thank you

• colleenoz
    7 years ago

Shawnmarie, have you tried posting your question in the knitting and crocheting forum here on Houzz?

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax