Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for: rum cake -- giant food store (dc area)

Posted by dancinglemons (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 17, 10 at 17:04

Hello all,

Years and years ago the Giant Food in the DC area sold a cake called "Rum Cake". It did not have any rum just rum flavoring. It was a small bundt cake with red cherries and pecans on the top - sort of like pineapple in an upside down cake but only 3-4 cherries and 3-4 whole pecan halves. The cake was not frosted only glazed and/or dipped in this rum syrup. I can replicate the glaze but for the life of me I can not get the cake recipe to come out right. Anyone?????

DL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for: rum cake -- giant food store (dc area)

Ohhhh, Giant used to have the bestest onion rolls!

Sorry, I can't help with the rum cake.

o

And their almond danish.........yum

o

I FOUND IT !!!!!

This is not the original Giant Food Store recipe but it is really close AND it looks almost exactly like the cake I remember. I am posting a link with photos & recipe just in case anyone is interested.

DL

Here is a link that might be useful: Rum Cake

o

BTW -- I do not mix the chopped nuts into the batter - only put them into the bottom of the bundt pan before the batter goes in. I also use Pecans only.

My take on the Giant Food glaze for this rum cake includes McCormick Imitation Rum Extract. The flavor of the McCormick Imitation Rum extract is exactly the same as that used in the Giant Food cake. I am almost 100% sure the store bakery did not use real rum.

DL

o

DL - this looks really good. I am always trying new rum cake recipes. Can you post the conversions on the amounts? I'm lazy - ha!

o

Wow, looks good, enjoy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here