Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnalovesblue

LOOKING for: Black Forest Cake Recipe

donnalovesblue
15 years ago

This is one of my all time favorites and I probably could have googled this, but thought some of you might have a great recipe for this lucious cake. I first had this one summer a cozillion years ago when several college friends and I worked at the Inn of Six Flags in Arlington, TX. It's strange that through the years, I never see or hear of this cake and none of my cookbooks have it and some of those cookbooks are very old.

Once I tried to make it with prepared chocolate cake mix, but it turned out pretty yukky. It's probably one of those cakes where it's best from scratch.

If any of you have make this cake, I'd love the recipe. Thanks.

Donna

Comments (10)

• CA Kate z9
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The best I've ever made -- or ever had-- is the one found in:
    Rose Levy Beranbaum's "The Cake Bible".
    I tried to find the recipe online, but nada. You'll need to find the book. Sorry I can't be more help.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

You don't have the book any more, Westelle? I found the recipe at Recipelink:

Swiss Black Forest Cake (From the Cake Bible)

Brandied Burgundy Cherries Make 1 pint
    **Brandied cherries are flavorful after only 12 hours but the longer they stand, the more mellow they become.
    Ingredients:
    1 lb. (454g) Pitted bing cherries in heavy syrup
    1 oz. Sugar
    2 oz. Kirsch or Cognac or cherry-flavored brandy

In a colander suspended over a deep bowl drain the cherries for 30 min. Reserve cup syrup. There will be about 1 ½ cups cherries.
    In a medium saucepan combine the syrup and sugar and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add the cherries and simmer, covered, 1 min. Remove from the heat. Transfer the cherries with a slotted spoon to a pint jar and add the kirsch or Cognac to the jar. Boil the syrup until reduced to ¼ cup and pour over the cherries. Cover tightly and swirl to mix. If planning to store longer than 3 months, add enough liqueur to reach almost to the top of the jar. Cool, cover tightly, and refrigerate.

Moist Chocolate Genoise
    one 9-inch springform pan or cake tin (must be straight on the sides), greased, bottom lined with parchment and then greased again and floured.
    Ingredients:
    4 oz. Bittersweet chocolate
    4.125 oz(1/2 liquid cup) boiling water
    4 large eggs (7 oz. Weight without shells)
    3.5 oz. Sugar (regular white sugar is fine.)
    2.625oz (75g/3/4 cup) sifted cake flour

Preheat the oven to 350F. Ina heavy saucepan bring the chocolate and water to a boil over low heat, stirring constantly. Simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the chocolate thickens to a pudding like consistency. (It will fall from the spoon and pool slightly before disappearing.) Cool completely.
    In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and sugar with the whisk beater on high speed for 5 min or until triple in volume. ( a hand beater may be used but it will be necessary to beat for least 10 min.)
    Sift ½ the flour over t he egg mixture and fold it in gently but rapidly with a slotted skimmer or a large rubber spatula until dome of the flour has disappeared. Repeat with the remaining flour until all flour has disappeared. Fold in the chocolate mixture until incorporated.
    Pour immediately into the prepared pan. (It should be about 2/3 full) and bake 30 to 35 min or until a tester inserted in the center as easily as it does when inserted closer to the sides. The cake rises to the top of the pan during baking and will lower slightly when done, pulling slightly away from the sides. Avoid opening the oven door before the min. time or the cakes could fall.
    Loosen the sides often cake with a small metal spatula and unmold at once onto lightly greased rack. Reinvert to cool. The firm upper crust prevents falling. Trim the top and bottom crust removed (very important or else it will form "crusts" in between the cream after itÂs soaked in the syrup) and split in half horizontally to make (2) ½ " layers.

Super-stabilized whipped cream, make 6 cups
    3 t. powdered gelatin
    4 T. water
    24 oz. (3 liquid cup) heavy cream
    1.5 oz caster (superfine) sugar
    1.5 t. vanilla

Refrigerate the mixing bowl and beater for at least 15 min.
    In a small heatproof measuring cup place gelatin and water. Allow to soften for 5 min. Set cup in a pan of simmering water and stir occasionally until gelatin is dissolved. (This can also be done in a microwave on high power, stirring once or twice.) Remove cup and cool to room temperature (about 7 minutes). Gelatin must be liquid but not warm when added to cream.
    In the chilled bowl beat the cream and sugar just until traces of beater marks begin to show distinctly. Add the gelatin mixture in a steady stream, beating constantly. Add vanilla and beat just until stiff peaks form when beater is raised. Do not over beat the cream.

½ cup chocolate snowflakes:
    The chocolate needs to be as hard as possible to make thin flakes, so donÂt leave it in a warm kitchen. A large piece of chocolate is easiest to work with, but a flat bar will also work.
    Use a melon-baller (or a veggie peeler) to scrape the chocolate, making short, light strokes that do not cut too deeply into the chocolate.
    Allow the flakes to fall onto a small cool baking sheet. Place the sheet inside a large plastic bag and shake the flakes into the bag. Avoid touching them because they melt very easily. Store refrigerated or at cool room temperature. Use a large spoon to lift chocolate flakes onto the cake.

Assembling the cake:
    Use a 9 inch springform pan fitted with cardboard round to a depth of 2 ½". (for really smooth finish on the sides, you will need a "French flan ring".)
    Add the kirsch or brandy to the reserved cherry syrup to make ½ cup. Sprinkle each side of the cake layers with 2 T. syrup.
    Reserve 12 whole cherries for decor and cut the remaining cherries in half if they are large. Reserve 2 ¼ cups whipped cream for the top of the cake and the rosettes. (This may be refrigerated for up to 6 hours.)
    Place 1 cake layer in the bottom of the pan and top with the remaining whipped cream.
    Poke the cherries into the whipped cream, pressing some of the cut sides against the pan. Use a small angled spatula to level the cream and top with the second cake layer.
    Spread with 1 cup of the reserved whipped cream. Use a long metal spatula to create a smooth top, allowing the blade to rest on the sides of the ring to create a very even surface. Use the rest of the cream to pipe rosettes, about 8 - 12, depends on the size of your decorating tube. I use a size 6 (1/2in) and make about 10.
    Leave the cake in an airtight cake container and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
    Wipe the sides of the ring with a warm, damp towel and lift way the ring or remove the sides of the pan.
    Use the remaining whipped cream to decorate the top with rosettes sing a large number 6 star tube. Top the rosettes with the reserved whole cherries. Spoon the chocolate snowflakes in the center.

MSG URL: http://www.recipelink.com/msgid/033253

• lisbet
    15 years ago

This is the recipe I use for family special occasions and birthdays. I know it looks labor intensive, but the end results are well worth it!

Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte 16 servings
    Source: Better Homes & Gardens - Dec.'77 p.110
    from Lutz Conttinental Cafe and Pastry Shop

1 recipe cherry filling
    2 egg whites
    1¾ cups sifted cake flour
    ¾ teaspoon baking soda
    1/3 cup cooking oil
    2 egg yolks
    1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
    2 tablespoons cold water
    ½ cup Kirsch or Cherry Liqueur
    1 square semisweet chocolate (1 ounce) shaved
    1 recipe chocolate buttercream
    ½ cup granulated sugar
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 cup milk
    2 squares unsweetened chocolate - (2 ounces) melted and cooled
    3 cups whipping cream
    ¾ cup toasted almonds
    Maraschino Cherries

To make CHERRY FILLING: Drain two 16 oz. cans pitted tart red cherries, reserving 2/3 C juice. In 2-quart saucepan combine 2/3 C granulated sugar and 1/4 C cornstarch. Stir in reserved juice. Cook and stir 'til mixture is thickened and bubbly. Add cherries; cook 2 min. more. Remove from heat; stir in 1 t. vanilla. Cool.

To make CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM: In small mixer bowl cream 3 T butter or margarine. Gradually beat in 1 C sifted powdered sugar. Beat in 1 square (1 oz.) unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled, 2 T light cream and 1 t vanilla. Gradually beat in another 1 C sifted powdered sugar 'til fluffy. Add a teaspoon or two of light cream, if necessary, to make of piping consistency.

IN A SMALL MIXER BOWL beat egg whites 'til soft peaks form (tips curl over). Gradually add the 1/2 C sugar, beating 'til stiff peaks form.

INTO A LARGE MIXER BOWL sift cake flour, the 1 C sugar, the soda, and salt.

Add oil, and 1/2 C of the milk; beat 1 min. at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl often. Add the remaining milk and the egg yolks; beat 1 min. more. Fold in egg whites.

Pour a third of the batter into a greased and lightly floured 9-inch round cake pan; set aside.

Add cooled 2 squares melted chocolate to remaining mixture in bowl; fold 'til well blended.

Pour chocolate batter into two greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.

Bake all three layers in 350 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in pan 10 min. Remove and cool on
    wire rack.

To ASSEMBLE CAKE: In small heatproof cup soften gelatin in water; place over low heat, stirring just 'til dissolved. Set aside but do not cool. In a large mixer bowl whip cream 'til slightly thickened. Add gelatin all at once; continue beating 'till soft peaks form.

Place one chocolate cake layer on serving plate.

Fit pastry bag with medium rose point (#2F); fill with chocolate buttercream.

Starting a third of the way out from the center of cake, pipe a 3-in. diameter ring of buttercream.

Pipe a second ring two thirds of the way from center.

Pipe a third ring around outer edge of cake. Fill in area between buttercream with some of the cherry filling. Spread a thin layer
    (about 1 cup) of whipped cream over top.

Place yellow cake layer atop; drizzle kirsch very slowly over cake. Put about 2 cups of the whipped cream in pastry bag with large rosette tip (#1C); pipe a band of whipped cream about 2 inches wide around outer edge of cake layer (save enough cream for rosette garnish).

Fill center with cherry filling (there will be some filling left over)..

Place second chocolate cake layer over cherries; frost cake with remaining whipped cream.

Press almonds onto side of cake. Pipe rosettes evenly around top of cake. Sprinkle shaved chocolate in center.

Garnish rosettes with cherries. Chill.

NOTES : Since it takes some time to assemble the torte, prepare the cherry filling the day before and keep it chilled.

Spray each layer with the kirschwasser in a plant misting bottle.

• donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Many thanks...these recipes sound fabulous and I can't wait to try them. Yes, it might be labor intensive, but my taste buds are saying it will be worth it!

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    15 years ago

Here's a real quick recipe with the same flavors!

1 box good chocolate cake mix
    2 eggs (whisked)
    1 can cherry pie filling
    1 teaspoon almond extract
    Put all in one bowl, mix well - bake in a 9 x 13 inch pan at 350F for 25-30 minutes.

----------------------------------------------------

Icing for cake (easy!)
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 c. butter
    1/3 c. milk
    Combine ingredients in saucepan, bring to boil over medium heat and cook 2 minutes.
    Remove from heat, stir in 6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
    Beat until smooth. Spread on cooled cake.

seagrass

• cookie8
    15 years ago

I usually make a chocolate cake (homemade or boxed). Instead of pie filling I will make my own with sour cherries boiled down with sugar and kirsch. Let me know if you are interested in the recipe. I will use real whip cream sweetened with icing sugar. I bake two layers, cut in half, sprinkle the cake with kirsch, add a layer of cherries, layer of whip cream, repeat until all 4 layers are done. I will ice it with whip cream and chop up some semi sweet chocolate for the sides. One of my favourites too. I will even cheat and do the same thing with cool whip and pie filling when feeling lazy.

• donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes cookie8, please share your recipe...many thanks! I would kill for a few slices NOW!!!

Donna

• CA Kate z9
    15 years ago

Ginger: thanks for posting the recipe... I really had looked all over for it.

If you'll permit me a story?
    Once upon a time, about 1980, we had an AFS student staying with us for awhile while they found him a new "home". He would stand at my elbow while I was cooking because he couldn't believe that there was an American who actually knew how to cook! There had been NO cooking whatsoever in the previous several homes he had been in -- lower-middle class, everybody working, Midwest. All food came out of a box, bag or freezer and into the microwave..... none home-cooked. And, his mother was a chef back in Austria! Can you imagine? How sad for this young man to think Americans don't cook.

Anyway, there was to be a pot-luck party for AFS students and their host families. André wanted to bring a Black Forest Cake -- a real one. So, I hunted down the recipe by Ms Beranbaum, and André and I assembled, combined and produced what he declared was an authentic Black Forest Cake..... and tasted just right.

Ergo, I suggested Rose Levy Beranbaum's recipe.

• cookie8
    15 years ago

Okay, I have The Cake Bible. If you really are interested I can e-mail you the recipe. Sorry, it is about 5 pages long so I would probably scan it instead of posting it here. But here is a cherry topping recipe - which is from the Cake Bible.
    1 3/4 cups tart cherries in juice
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 1/2 tbsp sugar
    pinch salt
    tbsp kirsch
    toss all into pot and let sit 30 mins.
    Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and boiling. Simmer one minute. The mixture should just barely drop from a spoon. Cool slightly.
    So good compared to canned pie filling!

• andrevson
    15 years ago

Ingredients:
    225 gms Maida (all purpose flour)
    400 gms Sweetened condensed milk
    2-3 tbsp Cocoa powder
    1 tsp Baking powder
    1 tsp Cooking soda
    125 gms Butter
    200 ml Aerated cola drink
    A pinch of salt
    125gms Dairy Milk Chocolate
    250 gms Fresh whipped cream
    10 Cherries

How to make Black Forest Cake:
    Place a thick bottomed pan on very low flame and melt butter in it.
    Remove from the flame and let the butter cool.
    Add condensed milk and mix well.
    Sift maida, cocoa powder, baking powder, cooking soda and salt together.
    Make sure there are no lumps in the mixture.
    Grease a baking tray with little butter.
    Dust it with maida and keep it aside.
    Take a pan with little butter and put the maida mixture with the condensed milk-butter mixture.
    Now add aerated cola and mix it well.
    Pour the batter into the greased baking tray and bake for 30 to 40 minutes at 150 degrees C.
    When it is done, let it cool and then slit it horizontally into two.
    Whip the cream till light and fluffy.
    Sandwich the two layers of cake with whipped cream and designed cherries.
    Top with whipped cream and cherries.
    Grate dairy milk chocolate bar and sprinkle over the cake.
    Serve it chilled.