Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Sea Bass

Posted by alyssa2 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 07 at 16:48

I have dinner guests coming tonight, and had planned to serve lamb. Somehow it didn't dawn on me that it's Friday and Lent and my guests aren't Catholic. I've switched to Sea Bass (grocery store willing), but can't decide how to serve it - sauce, etc. Any favorites you can recommend? The dinner is to celebrate an engagement, so I'd like to make it special.

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Sea Bass

The only way I have ever cooked Chilean Sea Bass (is that what you have?) is to mix equal parts of mayonaise, Dijon mustard and horseradish together and spread over the fish. Roast at 500 (or 450 in my house because my smoke alarm doesn't like 500) for 20 minutes. At the last minute the topping gets dark and makes a nice crust. My Swedish friends who eat a lot of fish said it was the best fish they ever had.

o

ORANGE AND SAFFRON MARINADE

1/2 tsp. pure saffron threads
1/4 cup white wine
2 cloves garlic, mashed to a paste with a fork
1/4 cup EV olive oil
1 tsp. grated fresh orange peel
2 Tbs. fresh orange juice

Pound the saffron with a little heated white wine to extract the flavor. Mix all the ingredients together and let sit 15 minutes before using. Marinate shrimp or lean fish 30 minutes, turning once, then grill or broil.

o

So what did you end up buying and making, Alyssa?

o

I did find the Chilean Sea Bass, and ended up making a tomato-herb sauce and buerre blanc. Went over well despite my over-cooking the fish.

Both ideas above sound great - I bought way too much fish for the group, so have extra and will have to try both. The combination of saffron and orange sounds excellent (Ok, saffron and anything sounds good to me - but orange I wouldn't have ever thought of). Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here