Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msazadi

LOOKING for: Shrimp and Grits, a better one than this pls

msazadi
18 years ago

I know we have some goood Southern cooks round here. I am looking for a shrimp and grits recipe with a bit more pizazz than this one. I don't care for green pepper to eat but I'd put it in for flavor. Any other thoughts?

Maureen

Shrimp and grits, with shrimp, cooked grits, and bacon and tomatoes.

INGREDIENTS:

2 to 3 slices bacon

grits, for 4 to 6 people

1 to 1 1/2 pounds shrimp

1 small onion, finely minced

1 can (14.5 ounces) crushed tomatoes with juice

1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, or to taste

PREPARATION:

From McGentry

Cook 2-3 slices bacon until done but still tender, set aside. Prepare grits per directions, adding a small finely minced onion before starting cook time, clean shrimp, when grits are almost done, chop shrimp into halfs, crumble up bacon and toss both into grits.

Comments (24)

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

You could use Rotel tomatoes. That would jazz it up. You might like this one, too but it doesn't have tomatoes. Might give you some ideas though:
    SHRIMP & GRITS (serves 2-4)
    6 slices bacon
    1/3 cup chopped green pepper
    1 cup sliced mushrooms
    1 clove garlic, minced
    2 TBL flour
    About 1/3 cup chicken broth
    2 TBL lemon juice
    1 lb shrimp, peeled
    1 cup chopped green onion
    Salt & cayenne
    Dash of Creole seasoning
    Dash of Tabasco
    2 TBL chopped parsley

For the grits:
    2 cups water
    2 TBL butter or margarine
    1/2 cup grits, uncooked
    1/2 cup milk, divided
    1/4 tsp salt

Cook bacon until crisp. Drain, reserving drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon & set aside. Saute green pepper, mushrooms & garlic in bacon drippings. Sprinkle flour over vegetables & cook, stirring constantly about 2 minutes. Add broth & next 7 ingredients. Cook 5 minutes or until heated thoroughly. Keep warm.
    For grits, bring water & butter to a boil in a heavy saucepan. Stir in grits & return to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat & cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes or until thick, continuing to stir. Stir in 1/4 cup milk; simmer 10 minutes. Salt. Add remaining 1/4 cup milk; simmer 10 minutes. Serve shrim mixture over cooked grits. Top w/crumbled bacon & parsley.~~

• msazadi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's a good sauce technique Ginger. I'm pretty tired tonight and will probably wing it with a combo of the two. I'd forgotten that I have a zillion mushrooms on hand too! Thanks, Maureen. (btw, it's going to be the remains of TJ's polenta instead of grits too. The ez was is the way tonight.)

• woodie
    18 years ago

BILL NEALS' SHRIMP & GRITS - lightly dusted shrimp sauteed w/ bacon, sliced mushrooms, garlic & scallions served over cheese grits - 8.95

Maureen, this is not a recipe but its the best shrimp and grits I ever had! (Yes, I know I'm not much help, but you just reminded me of Nirvana :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: NoFo

• msazadi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok, here is the wing-it recipe. (all quantities were eyeballed not measured)

2 slices of country bacon cut into bits (fairly lean and as thick as Canadian bacon)
    ~4 rings of frozen peppers (unknown heat - turned out to be sweet)
    6 white button mushroom sliced thickly
    6 spring onions sliced into rings and put into two batches
    1/2 can diced tomatoes with musrooms and garlic
    20 peeled shrimp (fairly large)
    1/2 tsp dried powdered jalapenos

I sauted the bacon till crisp and I'd cut this into really tiddly bits
    Added the mushrooms, sauted them a bit
    Added the peppers and tested the heat-mild! so I added the jalapeno powder
    Plunk the tomatoes in and reduce a bit
    Tossed in one half of the green onions
    Place the shrimp so they rested in/on the mix and cooked till pink on one side and then turned over.

At this point I turned the heat off, and took the shrimp out. The liguid was thinner than I wanted so I reduced it a bit more till it looked as dry as I wanted.

Put three sauted polenta rounds in my dinner bowl, added about 8 shrimp, and topped with a bunch of sauce. Added some more chopped onions...and
    enjoyed it thoroughtly.

You'll note there was no mention of salt and pepper. Yes, I forgot but it was good without. I went back for one more polenta round, and a couple more shrimp and added a few grains (literally) of salt and it was even better. However, the fresh sea taste of the shrimp was good enough without.

• teresa_nc7
    18 years ago

Here is Bill Neal's recipe by which most other Shrimp and Grits recipes are judged.

And please don't use instant grits! They aren't fit for hog slop.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shrimp and Grits - Bill Neal's recipe

• woodie
    18 years ago

Thanks, Teresa!

• glenda_al
    18 years ago

No shrimp and grits with tomatoes, NOPE

Love shrimp and cheese grits. Restaurants, here, are serving fried green tomatoes with shrimp grits, delicius!!

-------------------------------------
    GARLIC SHRIMP WITH BLEU CHEESE GRITS
    Serves 4
    For the grits
    1 cup grits
    1 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. (freshly ground) black pepper
    1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
    4 ozs. bleu cheese, or to taste **I prefer asaigo cheese
    For the shrimp
    11/2 lbs. medium-sized or larger shrimp, peeled
    3 large cloves garlic
    3 Tbsps. butter
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. (freshly ground) black pepper

Cook grits according to package directions in water (usually 4 cups water to 1 cup grits) with the 1 teaspoon salt added. When grits are tender and thick, remove from heat and stir in black pepper and cayenne and bleu cheese. Meanwhile, peel shrimp if necessary. Mince garlic or run it through a press. Melt butter in a wide skillet set on medium heat. Add garlic and stir 1 minute. Add shrimp, increase heat to high and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until shrimp is opaque. Season with salt and pepper. Serve beside or over grits.

• glenda_al
    18 years ago

Frequently go to Village Tavern for Sunday brunch, for their shrimp and grits.
    Their recipe is similar to the one I posted, and when they serve, they add freshly grated parmesan to top the shrimp grits, in a bowl.

Along with fresh fruit, and their own hash browns.

• teresa_nc7
    18 years ago

Oh...yummo, Glenda!!! I used to love to go to Village Tavern when I lived in Greensboro. That recipe is right up my alley!

• glenda_al
    18 years ago

Village Tavern can't be beat!!!

• msazadi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ah cahn't wait for mah next trip South! (I ate at the Hominy Grill on my last trip. It was yummy tho I don't recall what I had.) Maureen

• msazadi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

A day and a dollar late, here is the photo of my 'winging it' version. I thought I'd lost the picture... Maureen

Â Â

• lindakimy
    17 years ago

I know I'm very late finding this but it's NEVER to late for really good shrimp and grits. This recipe is so good you just won't believe it!

Charleston Shrimp & Grits (for 2 or 3)

Creamy Grits
    1/2 cup stone ground grits (DO NOT substitute instant, quick, or any other kind...won't taste the same)
    2 cups chicken broth
    1/3 stick butter
    1 - 1 1/2 cups milk
    3-4 oz cream cheese
    1/4 tsp salt

Bring broth and butter to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to simmer and stir in grits and 1/4 tsp. salt. Continue stirring til grits stop boiling and are barely simmering and well incorporated. Add salt and continue to stir often so grits don't stick or scorch. Add milk as needed when grits get too thick. Cook for 40-50 minutes, stirring often and checking consistency. (It should be much thicker than gravy but thinner than mashed potato.) Cut cream cheese in pieces, add to grits and stir in well.

Shrimp & Gravy
    1/2 - 3/4 lb peeled, deveined, raw shrimp
    1 lemon
    3 slices bacon
    1 med. green pepper, chopped
    1 med. white onion, chopped
    2 green onions, chopped
    2 heaping tablespoons flour
    1-2 cups chicken broth
    black pepper (to taste)
    hot pepper (to taste - there should be a bit of spark)
    chopped fresh parsley

Clean shrimp; sqeeze lemon juice on top and set them aside to drain. (You may use frozen shrimp that are defrosted.)

Cut bacon in small pieces and cook in a large skillet til crispy. Drain bacon on paper. Pour off all but 2-3 tablespoons of bacon grease.

In bacon grease in the same skillet, brown onion and green pepper; cook til softened but not brown. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and stir til moistened. Add black pepper and hot pepper according to taste. Cook, stirring, for about a minute and add about 1 - 2 cups chicken broth all at once. Stir, scraping all browned bits from the sides of the skillet. Continue stirring, adding more chicken broth if gravy seems too thick, for about 5 minutes. Add shrimp and cook just til shrimp are barely done - don't overcook.

Serve shrimp over creamy grits. Garnish with bacon bits and chopped parsley.

Can you tell I'm from the South?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    17 years ago

I prefer my shrimp and grits to be rather simple with no tomatoes ever, lots of buter, cheese, cream, garlic and of course, shrimp.
    GLenda's recipe with the asiago is more to my taste and what is common around here in SC.

• msazadi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Linda, thanks for that variation. dh was looking over my shoulder (wondering what delight was next and said Grits!!! guess who doesn't care for grits....too bad)

I thnk I'll have to sample all these recipes since they all have good points, tho I too would pass on the blue cheese in the grits. maureen

• RuddMD
    17 years ago

Another vote for Bill Neal's recipe. I love it!

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

In the Low Country, particularly among the Gullah people, it's a more complex dish then in most of the south. More of a Barbecue Shrimp & Grits.

Some of the Charleston restaurants serve it by merely mixing cooked shrimp with commercial barbecue sauce. It takes more time to prepare it right, but the results are more than worthwhile:

2 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined

for the grits:

4 cups water
    1 cup heavy cream
    1/2 lb butter
    salt & white pepper to taste
    2 cups stone-ground or quick grits (certainly not! instant)

for the sauce:

1/4 lb bacon, diced
    1 cup red onion, finely diced
    1 cup red bell peper, diced
    1 cup green bell pepper, diced
    3-4 tbls Southern Comfort
    1 bottle (14 oz) ketchup
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    salt & pepper to taste

For the grits, bring the water and cream to boil in a large saucepan. Add the butter and salt & pepper to taste. Slowly stir in the grits. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching. If the grits are too thick, stir in extra water as needed (up to 1/2 cup). Set aside, covered, to keep warm.

For the sauce, cook the bacon in a medium saucepan until almost crisp. Add the onion and bell peppers. Saute until onion is translucent, 3-4 minutes. Add the Southern Comfort to the pan and carefully ignite the liquor. Whe flames die, stir in the ketchup and brown sugar. Season with salt & pepper. Simmer sauce over medium low heat for 10 minutes.

Bring about 6 cups lightly salted water to a boil. Add the shrimp and reduce heat to low. Gently poach the shrimp until they are pink and just opaque through, 3-5 minutes.

Drain the shrimp well, then add them to the hot barbecue sauce. Warm over low heat for one minutes. Spoon portions of warm grits into indivdual serving plates and top with some of the shrimp & sauce mixture.

• earl
    17 years ago

My favorite way to eat grits is to fry two eggs overlite and chop them into the [cooked] grits along with butter, salt and pepper with bacon and biscuits on the side.

• msazadi
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'll be there for breakfast Earl. ;-)

(btw, do you have any photos of your garden beds? I like that idea tho I have very little sunlight in my own garden. I do have two composte bins though..) Maureen

• lilacsandviolets1
    17 years ago

Saw this last night on the Food channel, watching Paula Deen's Cooking Class. Thought someone might be interested in it. She sure made it sound good! Of course, she makes everything sound good!

Shrimp Florentine over Tomato Grits

Tomato Grits:
    2 cups water
    3/4 cup milk
    1 teaspoons salt
    1 cup quick cooking grits
    1 stick butter, plus 1 tablespoon butter
    1/3 cup green onions, diced
    6-ounce garlic cheese roll
    2 1/2 cups Cheddar, shredded
    10-ounce can diced tomatoes and green chiles
    2 eggs, lightly beaten

Shrimp Florentine:
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 clove minced garlic
    12 shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 to 2 lemons juiced
    White wine, for deglazing
    1 cup heavy cream
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Grand Padana
    2 cups fresh spinach, packed down
    1 dash ground nutmeg
    Salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
    To make the tomato grits, in a saucepan, bring the water and milk to a boil. Add the salt. Slowly add the grits and return to a boil; stir for 1 full minute. (The secret to preparing good grits is the initial stirring of the pot.) Reduce the heat, cover, and cook for 3 minutes. Stir the grits and add 1 stick of butter, stirring until it has melted. Cover and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the grits are thick and creamy. Remove from the heat and set aside. Saute the onions in the remaining 1 tablespoon butter for 1 minute. Add the garlic cheese, 1 1/2 cups Cheddar, and onions to the grits, and stir until cheese is melted. Add the tomatoes and green chiles and mix well; stir in the beaten eggs. Pour the grits into a greased 8 by11 by 2-inch casserole. Bake the casserole for 40 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the casserole for the last 5 minutes of cooking time.
    To make the Shrimp Florentine, start with 1 tablespoon butter in saute pan. Add minced garlic and shrimp. Deglaze with lemon and wine. Add cream, cheese and spinach. Reduce, season, to taste, with salt and pepper and pour over grits.

Leslie

• ole_dawg
    16 years ago

Some times simple is better. Take your raw shrimp and rince very well. fill a pot with enough water to be able to cover well. Add a dash of tobasco and if you want a store bought shrimp boil. Pour the water off and SAVE. Rinse the cooked shrimp with cold tap water and set aside. When cool peep and devein the shrimp. Dump the peelings back into the water and boil it some more. Strain the peelings out of the water. That water will be what you use to cook the grits. Yellow corn grits only please. Put the water into the pot. Add chopped onions and a little garlic. I don't use green peppers, but some do. Up to U
    Now add your grits to the water. Slowly and stirring all the time. Cook until the grits are done. Keep it loose. add the shrimp into the mix and if need be add a little water. Cook it down until it starts to thicken.
    That is it.
    Spices are up to you. Some use a lot and some don't. The key I am told is the water from the boiled shrimp. This works well with blue crab also.

• RuddMD
    16 years ago

Another vote for Bill Neal's recipe. Yum!

And as Teresa said, don't use instant gritsl Yuck. . .

• woodie
    16 years ago

Hi, Ruddmd!

• txcook
    12 years ago

I ate shrimp grits for the first time this weekend, at an awesome place on the Outer Banks. They had no sausage, but rather bacon, tomato, smoked gouda and cheddar. Anyone made it with those? YUM!!!