Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rgm51

LOOKING for: Jell-O Salad Mold with Peaches

rgm51
17 years ago

I am looking for a jell-o mold recipe that starts with the top first, placed in the bottom of the mold. The layer has mayonnaise or sour cream and some kind of flavored pudding or jell-o(this could be mixed with a packet of unflavored gelatin). It has a zip to it and it is not horseradish. I an sure there must be more ingredients. This sets until firm, then you add the peach jell-o with the peaches on top of that and set until firm. We made this for every holiday and birthdays. It was in a magazine about 20-25 years ago. Has anyone made this or know where can find the recipe. I can see the recipe in my mind on one entire page in this magazine, maybe LHJ. I have checked websites, LHJ webwsite, and endless googles.

Comments (11)

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

Was the original recipe with peaches or another fruit? Were there any nuts or anything else in there?

• rgm51
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am assuming the recipe called for peaches. It may have called for other fruit, but we did not put it in. It did not have nuts in. I can't think of any thing else that would have gone into the jello mold.

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

My mom makes a Pickled Peach Congealed Salad that has a hint of cloves and a little bit of vinegar in it, but we don't do the creamy layer.

I can post the recipe tonight if you want it.

Teresa

• rgm51
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Teresa,
    I would like the recipe. Maybe I can do some experimenting with it and come up with a close replica. A tremondous thank you. Rochelle

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

I found what may be close to the layer that you said was a bit zippy but I have to leave to go out to dinner. I'll post that recipe & maybe you can reconstruct it with Teresa's recipe.

• rgm51
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for looking and I will look forward to the recipes and see what I can come up with. Thanks again.

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

I love this simple jello salad - it has the flavor of pickled peaches that I loved growing up. There is a tang of vinegar and the zip of ginger and spice. We always had crabapple rings and pickled peaches with special holiday meals and I love them both. My mom started making this several years ago and she loves it too.

Ginger Peach Jello from my Mother, Vivian

1 16 oz. can sliced peaches
    1 3 oz. pkg. peach jello
    1 cup boiling water

drained peach juice from peaches plus cold water to make
    1 cup

1 TB vinegar
    1 TB sugar

1/4 t. ground ginger
    1/4 t. ground cloves

(I use 1/2 t. English Mixed Spice for the ginger and cloves)

Whisk the spices into the dry jello. Put the drained sliced peaches in a glass or ceramic rectangular baking dish.

Put the jello/spices into a bowl or large measuring cup. Pour boiling water over, whisk well. Add in the peach juice/water mixture and blend well. Add the vinegar and sugar and mix well. Pour over peaches in the dish and chill until set.

• teresa_nc7
    17 years ago

As I was looking for ideas for the creamy layer I found this in the Greensboro Jr. League cookbook from 1981:

Spicy Peach Salad

1 20 oz. can sliced peaches, drain, reserve syrup
    2 3oz. pkgs. peach gelatin
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 t. cinnamon
    1/ t. cloves
    2 cups boiling water
    1 1/2 cups peach syrup (with water added)
    4 TB vinegar

Drain peaches, reserving syrup and adding water to make 1 1/2 cups cold water. Dissolve gelatin, sugar and spices in boiling water. Stir in syrup and vinegar. Chill in a 6 cup mold until gelatin just begins to thicken. Add peaches.

There is a topping for congealed salads that appears in a number of recipes:
    8 oz. pkg. cream cheese
    1/2 pint sour cream
    1/2 cup sugar

Cream together and spread on top of salad, then chill well.

or for a sweeter topping
    8 oz. cream cheese
    8 oz. Cool Whip topping
    1/2 cup powdered sugar

and a very simple topping
    1 pint sour cream
    (this is really good on Strawberry Nut Salad)

Can you tell we are big on congealed salads in the South?
    ;o)

• rgm51
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the delicious recipes. I will make them and do some experimenting and see if I match the flavor and tastes to what I remember. Thanks again for all your help.
    Rochelle

• roselin32
    17 years ago

I found this one with pineapple and lime jello but don't see why you couldn't use peaches and peach jello.
    1 envelope unflavored gelatin
    1/2c pineapple syrup
    1c salad dressing
    1/2c sour cream
    2 3oz packages lemon jello
    2c boiling water
    2c ginger ale
    1c crushed, drained pineapple
    Soften gelatin in syrup and dissolve over boiling water. Combine salad dressing and sour cream. Blend in gelatin. Pour into a 1 1/2qt mold. Chill until firm. Dissolve lemon fello in boiling water; add ginger ale. Chill until slightly thickened. Fold in pineapple; pour over gelatin layer. Chill until firm and unmold onto lettuce leaves.
    Serves 8.

• rgm51
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey,
    Thanks for the recipes. I am still waiting from the one from ginger_st_thomas.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting