Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
khandi_gw

RECIPE: Donna - Tongue Recipes

khandi
16 years ago

Don't know how you can eat this stuff! LOL

Tongue is sold fresh, pickled or corned, and smoked. Wash tongue thoroughly in warm water and remove blood vessels and clotted blood from fresh tongue. Soak pickled or smoked tongue several hours before cooking.

FRESH TONGUE - Cover with water, add 1 teaspoon salt for each quart of water and simmer until tender. Allow 3 to 4 hours for large beef tongues, 1 to 1-1/2 hours for pork, lamb or veal tongues.

PICKLED TONGUE - Cover tongue with cold water, heat to boiling. Pour off water, cover with fresh water and simmer 4 to 5 hours or until tender.

SMOKED TONGUE - Cover mild-cured tongue with cold water, heat to boiling, reduce heat; simmer 4 hours or until tender.

FOR ADDITIONAL FLAVOUR - Add 1 onion sliced, 1/2 clove garlic sliced, peppercorns and, if desired, thyme or sage.

Hot Tongue Canapes

Combine 1 cup minced cooked tongue, 2 Tbsp cream, 1 egg yolk, 1/4 tsp salt, 3 drops Tabasco sauce, few grains cayenne.

Spread on hot toast squares and sprinkle with bread crumbs. Cut twice diagonally and brown in hot oven (400F) 4 to 5 minutes. Spread 8 slices toast for 32 canapes.

Tongue Sandwich Filling

1-1/2 cups minced cooked tongue

2 Tbsp prepared horseradish

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 cup mayonnaise

Dash cayenne

Baked Tongue and Noodles

3/4 pound sliced cooked tongue

3-1/2 cups cooked noodles

2 cups cooked tomatoed

1/4 cup cracker crumbs

1 tablespoon butter

Arrange layers of tongue and noodles in baking dish. Add t4omatoes, cover with crumbs and dot with butter. Bake in moderate oven (350F) 30 minutes. Serves 6.

Tongue Salad

1-1/2 cups diced cold cooked tongue

1 cup cold cooked green beans

Pearl Onion French Dressing

1 head lettuce

Stuffed olives, chopped

2 tomatoes, diced

Marinate tongue and green beans (separately) in dressing for 1 hour. Toss lettuce in salad bowl with dressing, add remaining ingredients and toss lightlyy again. Serves 6.

Smoked Tongue In Raisin Sauce

1-1/2 cups Raisin Sauce (recipe follows)

8 slices cooked smoked tongue

Use stock from cooking tongue in preparing raisin sauce. Heat tongue in sauce. Serves 4.

Raisin Sauce

3/4 cup brown sugar

3 Tbsp cornstarch

1-1/2 cups broth from ham or tongue

1/4 cup vinegar

1/2 cup raisins

1 lemon, sliced thin

1 Tbsp fat

Mix sugar and cornstarch in top of double boiler and add broth gradually, stirring constantly. Add remaining ingredients and cook until raisins are plaump and mixture is thickened, stirring occasionally. Serve hot with ham or tongue. Makes about 1-1/2 cups.

Comments (8)

• lindac
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My mother used to make her own pickled tongue....sort of. She boiled it in a mix of vinegar, onions, cloves and who knows what else....
    Or maybe she cooked the tongue first and then soaked it in that stuff?
    Anyhow I liked it....but just can't cook it myself....it looks too much like....well.TONGUE...can't deal with that rough skin you have to peel off....very TOUNGUE-ISH...
    But you fix it, I'll eat it.
    Linda C

• jimtex
    16 years ago

Khandi, the Mexican markets around here sell a ton of the stuff. Its called lingua in Spanish. If you can get by the texture I think it is one of the best tasting parts of the cow. I get it all the time in breakfast tacos. I'm not sure I could eat it any other way.
    James

• marzhere
    16 years ago

Love tongue...

The tip is the best, don't really like the fatty part. My family thinks I'm weird because I always eat my skin and some of theirs.

We always just boil it. Have done it in a crock pot, but didn't like it as well.

There's a local "NY" style deli here, they have a tongue sandwich. Seems to be more of a corned beef type. Different but still yummy.

• charlp
    16 years ago

I grew up with veal tongue in a white wine,white raisan, and almond sauce..but veal is almost impossible to get.... and pickled tongue eastern European styles.however now days I make pickled tongue south american style.from "False tongues and sunday bread".it is a snap....put all in a ziploc and turn every day....then cook..it tastes almost like the Eastern European Kind even Lee agrees...If you can't find it let one of us know and I will post.charlotte

• donna_loomis
    16 years ago

Khandi, thank you for all of that!

Linda C, I kind of pickle tongue, too. After boiling it with the seasonings, I peel and cube it, then dress it with oil and vinegar. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it.

James, I LOVE lengua tacos! There are several places locally that have them.

Marzhere, I can't imagine eating the skin. Never heard of anyone else doing it either, until now. And there is a lovely deli in Berkely that makes a killer tongue sandwich.

Charlotte, I would be very interested in your pickled tongue recipe.

BTW, Mom fixed tongue often when I was a kid and I thought it was because she adored it. So a couple of years ago, I bought one and cooked it just for her. We sat down to dinner and while I was serving, she said, "Just a small piece for me, please." I asked why she wasn't hungry and she said that she really didn't care that much for tongue. I asked her why we had it so often while I was growing up and she replied that it was CHEAP! LOL!

• khandi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I know my mom used to add tongue to her headcheese!

• charlp
    16 years ago

this is the recipe.I double all the spices but not the salt
    6 T of couse salt
    2 t saltpeter
    1t blk pepper
    12 cloves garlic peeled ,whole
    6 bay leaves
    1 cup sliced onion
    1 t thyme
    2 whole cloves