Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamaram_gw

LOOKING for: Southern Style Cole Slaw Dressing

TamaraM
13 years ago

Hello- I am not a fan of the traditional mayonnaise-heavy cole slaw but have had what everyone calls "southern style" cole slaw which seems to be more of a vinegar and sweeter based cole slaw. They say to get one of the Marzetti's Southern Style dressing but I cannot find it anywhere in our grocery stores. I've been searching for a recipe but they all seem to contain too much mayonnaise. So before I bought the dressing online (haha) I thought I'd ask if anyone has a recipe for this "southern style" slaw dressing!

Here is the Marzetti's version:

http://www.marzetti.com/products/marzetti/detail.php?bc=34&cid=66&pid=189&i=c

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• glenda_al
    13 years ago

Found this and it read: Almost Marzetti's dressing

2 cups light mayonnaise
    2/3 cup sugar
    1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
    2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
    cabbage
    carrot
    celery salt

Directions:
    Prep Time: 15 mins

Total Time: 15 mins
    1 Combine mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar and mustard in bowl and mix thoroughly until sugar is completely dissolved.
    2 Using a large and very sharp chef's knife, slice cabbage into shreds fine shreds.
    3 Thinly slice or shred carrot and combine with cabbage in bowl.
    4 Sprinkle lightly with celery salt and toss.
    5 While stirring, pour just enough dressing over the prepared vegetables to moisten them nicely.
    6 (After it sits a while, there will suddenly be more liquid in the bowl than you thought there was- it will come off the veggies. So don't overdo the dressing. You can always add more later if need be.) Cover and chill.
    7 Refrigerate unused portion of dressing for later use.

• User
    13 years ago

Years ago when I was working in a restaurant our chef made a wonderful slaw dressing. I've made it ever since. I'm in the south if that makes any difference.

There are no measurements so you have to judge how much you will need for the amount of cabbage used.

For a small batch maybe 4 servings:

1 TB white vinegar
    3 tsp. sugar
    1/4 cup veg. oil
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1/2 cup Mayo
    whip it all together & pour over slaw.Don't forget to add some shredded carrots too.

You may want to add some chopped apple or some crushed pineapple if you want some extra sweetness.

add more or less of the above ingredents for the amount of your slaw. Taste the mixture and see what you think it might need before pouring over the cabbage.

Here is another excellent recipe:

Aunt Nancy's Coleslaw

1 (8-ounce) can chunk unsweetened pineapple, in juices, strained
    1 carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1/3 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
    1 teaspoon celery seeds
    1� pounds green cabbage, shredded
    Kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

1. Put the pineapple and carrots into a food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
    2. Stir together the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar, and celery seeds in a large bowl.
    3. Add the cabbage and the pineapple-carrot mixture, and toss until evenly coated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
    4. This slaw is best if made several hours or the day before so the flavors can come together. Keep covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
    (I've been making this one lately, its very good.)

• TamaraM
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you both! I have now have somewhere to start! :)

• lindac
    13 years ago

Here's the cole slaw I make....no mayo at all...
    The Fred Harvey in the name is man who owned the first restaurant chain in america, building a chain of restaurants along the southern rail lines, so passengers would have decent food on their trip.

Fred Harvey Cole Slaw:
    Shred one medium head of cabbage and one small onion, cover with 1/2 cup of sugar.
    Bring to a boil 1 tsp sugar
    1/2 Tablespoon salt
    1/2 tsp dry mustard
    1/2 tsp celery seed
    1/2 c peanut oil
    1/2 c cider vinegar.
    Pour over the cabbage and set stand at least 4 hours before eating.
    Keeps well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fred Harvey

• TamaraM
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Lindac! Will have to try that one, too!

• User
    3 years ago

Man, I'm lazy I go to the grocery store salad dressing aisle and buy the bottled Kraft coleslaw dressing......... ;)

• HU-933111033
    2 years ago

We recently contacted Marzetti's and asked about their Southern Style dressing because it's the only kind I will eat. They are no longer selling it.. so irritated!