Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Papas Fritas

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 22, 06 at 14:53

Does anyone know of a recipe for Papas Fritas (I've googled) where the potatoes end up like a little balloon?
I had a recipe several years ago but that was before several moves (and purges). From what I can recall, the potatoes are sliced about 1/8 inch thick, deep fried for just a few seconds at about 375F, cooled, then refried at a much higher temp. During the second frying the potato poufs into a round bite of deliciousness.

The resulting potato ends up with an air pocket inside and a salty crunchy outside like a crispy potato balloon.

They were absolutely amazing and one of the things I ate with every meal in BA.

Are you familiar with anything like that?

Alexa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Papas Fritas

Where's BA?

o

You described almost the same technique as below but they soaked the potatoes a long time before frying.

Here is a link that might be useful: Potatoes

o

Buenos Aires - sorry :-)

Yes - that is the technique. I had forgotten the soaking part. I do remember in the original recipe that the second frying was at a much hotter temp. Any guesses what they mean by "boiling lard" which sounds just a little scary to me LOL!

And thanks Ginger - I knew if anyone could find this you could!

Alexa

o
pommes souffle

AHA!!!

I think I found the technique!

Also known as souffl potatoes , these crisp potato puffs are the result of deep-frying thinly sliced potatoes twice. The first time the potatoes are fried in 300F oil. After cooling, they're fried in 375F oil until they inflate and turn golden brown.

Thanks for the tips Ginger - I managed to find them!

Alexa

o

Good! They sound great. I bet the lard helps make them taste good too. Boiling lard sounds pretty frightening to me too. I wish I'd kept my old Fry Daddy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here