Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joann_fla

LOOKING for: Meals for 1 or 2 (chick or vegs)

JoAnn_Fla
16 years ago

Hi, I am a bit of a fussy eater. I don't eat much in the way of meats, and veg's aren't my favorites. I just don't know what to cook. DH eats the same thing every day (chicken,Pot,veg) and I don't like the same thing everyday. Do you have any ideas, I've been struggling with this for years.

Comments (5)

• grainlady_ks
    16 years ago

What do you like to eat when you go out? Try finding recipes for those foods that are easy to make at home.

Do you like Mexican food? Shredded cooked chicken (you can get that by boiling some chicken breasts and pulling it into shreds using a couple forks after it's cool enough to handle), add some taco spice and you have meat that can be put in a taco shell along with shredded cheese and lettuce, etc.... Make it into a quesadilla by taking two flour tortillas and topping one with some spiced shredded chicken, cheese of choice, top with the second tortilla and either bake it in a quesadilla maker or on a griddle or fry pan. When it's toasty on one side, carefully flip it and warm the other side (I like to use the small tortillas if I have to flip them). Serve cut into wedges with some salsa.

Stir-fry is simple to do. My non-veggie eating hubby loves the stuff (as long as I serve the veggies separate from the meat). Cut the chicken into strips (you can also buy already prepared chicken for stir-frying. I like to spice it with McCormic Grill Mates - Montreal Chicken Seasoning. Stir-fry the chicken first, set aside, and then do the veggies.

You can take the same stir-fried chicken and make a box of Pasta (Garlic & Olive Oil is good with chicken), and add the chicken to the vermicelli pasta. Boxed alfrado pasta can also be used for Chicken Alfrado. I also add shredded chicken to Spanish Rice.

Chicken Fried Rice -
    Cooked rice - amount is up to you, but probably at least 2 cups - more if you want leftovers.
    Saute some mushrooms (canned or fresh) along with some chopped green pepper in a little fat. Add that mixture, along with chopped, cooked pieces of chicken. Add enough soy sauce to give it a little flavor. Heat through and serve.

Have you ever tried making Cornish Hens? Chicken Pilaf? Baked chicken breasts with a spice mixture called SPIKE on it (I get Spike at the health food store).

Take a trip to your local library and check out a bunch of cookbooks and start going through them for inspiration and new recipes to try.

-Grainlady

• annova914
    16 years ago

Wow! Lots of great suggestions and tips from grainlady.

But I'll add a few. Do you like pasta? I love to cook noodles or spaghetti or orzo until al dente. After draining and placing in bowl, I add butter and then parmesan (either grind up a wedge or get the Digiorno shredded in the little plastic container). Salt and freshly ground black pepper. (sometimes I squirt a little fresh lemon juice over the pasta at this point). If you like, you can chop up microwaved bacon and sprinkle over the noodles. Serve this with a tossed salad with vinaigrette. Yum - one of my favorite meals and so easy.

This Mexican pasta salad looks good (I haven't made it yet but have made similar recipes). If you don't want the black beans, leave them out. Taste the dressing...if you want it sweeter add a little ketchup or chili sauce but use a little fresh lemon juice instead of the lime. I'd cut back on the salt but that's just me :)--Ann

Mexican Pasta Salad

8 ounces rotini pasta
    2 cups fresh corn kernels or frozen yellow corn
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons lime juice
    1-1/2 teaspoons McCormick® Chili Powder
    1 teaspoon McCormick® Ground Cumin
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 can (15 ounce) black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 pint grape cherry tomatoes, halved
    1 can (4 1/2 ounces) chopped mild green chilies, drained

Cook pasta according to package directions. Add corn during last 3 minutes of cook time. Rinse under cold water; drain well.

Mix mayonnaise, lime juice, chili powder, cumin and salt in large bowl with wire whisk until well blended. Add pasta and remaining ingredients; toss until well coated. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.

Makes 10 servings

Nutritional Information Per Serving: About 234 Calories, Fat 10g, Protein 6g, Carbohydrates 30g, Cholesterol 4mg, Sodium 390mg, Fiber 4g

Source: McCormick

• JoAnn_Fla
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I was raised on Pasta, so its one of my favorites, but not figure friendly. I don't eat Mexican, unless its tacos. I've probably looked through 1000's of cookbooks and rarely find a good recipe. I think its hopeless. I'd like to find something quick & simple since its just for me. I have DH covered on his meals.

• lindac
    16 years ago

So, what do you eat? Just pasta? With bottled sauce?
    How about shrimp?
    Do you eat cereal? Eggs?
    Sounds like you have some real "issues" with foods, and a diet of no meat and no vegetables is certainly not good for you!
    Linda C

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

It would help us figure out some recipes to recommend if you mentioned what you do like.

Pasta isn't that bad for your figure if you eat a moderate amount. It depends on what else you eat during the day and how many calories that adds up to. Also, have you tried whole wheat pasta? There are some good brands out now, like Rozoni. That's even more healthy.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor