Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
san__gw

LOOKING for: ham salad

san_
18 years ago

we heated a ham one night last week and it just wasn't very good--a little dry and on the tough side. so i told ted we ought to make a ham salad or something with it. and he's just ground up this big pile of ham and i haven't a clue just what to do with it! i assume i should just smoosh it around with some mayo and maybe sweet pickle relish--is that how it's made? and since there is SUCH a large amount of ham, is there something else that might be done with it or a different twist on it? and can it be frozen? there really is a pretty good amount of it there and i'm not big on ham...thanx for your help!

Comments (14)

• snyder
    18 years ago

I add pickle relish mayo and boiled eggs. Ann

• ruthanna_gw
    18 years ago

Ooooh, ground leftover ham  one of my favorite ingredients. There are so many uses for it that I never seem to get around to making ham salad. I had this in my computer from a couple of years ago when someone asked what to do with it so figured it was worth reposting. Have fun with it!

1) Add ground ham and cheddar cheese to turn twice-baked potatoes from a side dish to a microwaveable main course.
    2) Add ground ham to hollandaise sauce and pour over a whole steamed cauliflower.
    3) Stuff halved zucchini with ground ham, rice, chopped tomatoes, seasonings, sauteed chopped onions and the zucchini centers, top with cheese and microwave or bake.
    4) Ground ham can be mixed in when making scrambled or devilled eggs.
    5) Substitute ground ham for sausage when making stuffed mushrooms
    6) Sprinkle on cooked green beans
    7) Mix with some cream cheese and finely chopped sweet red peppers and scallions. Stuff mixture into hollowed out cucumbers, chill and slice
    8) Stuff large pasta shells with ground ham, spinach and ricotta cheese
    9) Ground ham mixed with cream cheese, a bit of drained crushed pineapple and curry powder makes an interesting filling for tea sandwiches.

1. Saute ham, finely chopped onion and garlic in olive oil. Add drained and chopped cooked spinach. Mound on top of slightly scooped out halved tomatoes. Cover top of mixture with Parmesan cheese and bake.

Baked eggs - Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put about a tablespoon of cooked sausage or ground up leftover ham in a custard cup. Break an egg over it and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add 1 teaspoon of milk or cream. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Serve with toast fingers. Can sprinkle grated cheese on top or add a bit of herbs.

--------

This is my idea of an ideal old-time "ladies lunch" dish. The recipe originally called for 1 Tbsp. of brown sugar so you may want to increase it.

HARVEST HAM BALLS

1 egg, beaten
    1/ 2 cup soft bread crumbs
    1/ 2 cup milk
    1 tsp. brown sugar
    Dash ground cloves
    1 lb. ground cooked ham (about 2 cups)
    8 canned peach halves, drained
    1 Tbsp. melted butter or margarine
    Paprika
    Green celery tops or parsley

Combine egg, crumbs, milk, sugar, cloves and ham. Shape into 8 balls. Place peach halves, hollow sides up, in greased baking dish. Nest a ham ball in each peach half. Brush top of ham mixture with melted butter and sprinkle lightly with paprika. Bake in 350 degree oven for 25 minutes. Garnish with celery.

Source: adapted from recipe in Farm Journal

• lindac
    18 years ago

I'd be mixing that ham with some ground beef...about 3 parts ham to 1 part beef....add a couple of eggs, some bread crumbs and maybe a bit of broth or milk and make ham balls...bake them sort of oval and about as much meat as a tennis ball, but oval.
    Then I would put them in a baking dish....mix up 1/2 cup of vinegar, 1/2 cup dijon mustard ( like you would spread on a sandwich, not the dry) and a cup of brown sigar and spreading it over the ham balls. bake at 350 for about an hour and a half, basting with the stuff in the pan every 14 minutes....
    Um yum!!
    And once cooked, they freeze well and reheat.
    Linda C

• BeverlyAL
    18 years ago

San, here's what I do with leftover ham and it's so easy and good.

Ham Salad

3 cups diced cooked ham
    1-1/2 cups (6 oz) shredded cheddar
    2 cups diced apples, unpeeled
    1 cup diced celery
    ½ tteaspoon lemon pepper
    ¾ to 1 cup mayonnaise
    Lettuce Leaves

Combine ingredients, mix well, chill 2-3 hours. Serve on lettuce leaves

• woodie
    18 years ago

LEFTOVER HAM
    Posted by: Linda_inTennessee (My Page) on Sat, Nov 30, 02 at 20:40

2 medium onions - thinly sliced
    2 Tbs butter
    2 tsp flour
    1/2 lb mushrooms
    3/4 cup light cream
    1/2 tsp Worcestershire
    2 cups chopped cooked ham

Cook onions in butter til golden, add mushrooms. Cook 3-5 minutes. Add flour, stir, cover, simmer 5 minujtes. Add cream gradually, stirring. When smooth, add the ham and Worcestershire. Stir til heated through. Do not boil. Serve with rice.

Scalloped potatoes with ham
    Frittata with ham
    Split pea soup, bean soup
    Green beans, chicken broth, potatoes and ham
    Cabbage, potatoes and ham
    Breakfast casserole

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

ZUCCHINI STUFFED WITH HAM (serves 6)
    1 cup ground ham
    1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
    1/2 tsp dry mustard
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp pepper
    2 TBL minced onion
    1/2 cup grated Cheddar
    2 lbs zucchini
    1/4 cup oil
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
    1/2 cup tomato sauce

Preheat oven to 350°. Combine the ham, crumbs, mustard, salt, pepper, onions & cheese.
    Wash the zucchini thoroughly & cut into 3" lengths.. Scoop out the centers with an apple corer, leaving a shell 1/4" thick. Stuff w/the ham mixture.
    Place the zucchini in a baking pan & add the oil & garlic. Cover & bake until the squash are tender, 45-55 minutes. Remove from the pan.
    Mix the cornstarch with the tomato sauce & stir into the pan. Cook over low heat until thickened. Skim off any excess fat & spoon the sauce over the zucchini.~~Craig Claiborne

HAM CHEESE BALL
    Two 8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened
    1 cup ground ham
    1 TBL grated onion
    2 tsp dried parsley
    1/2 tsp seasoned pepper
    1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

Combine first 5 ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. cover & chill 30-60 minutes. Shape mixture into a large ball & coat with the chopped nuts. Wrap w/Saran & refrigerate. Serve chilled w/crackers.~~ You can freeze this before adding the nuts then add the nuts after thawing.

NEW ENGLAND HAM LOAF
    1 lb ground smoked ham
    1 1/2 lbs ground pork
    1 cup unsalted cracker crumbs
    1 cup milk
    2 eggs, beaten
    1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1/4 cup vinegar
    1/4 cup water

In a large bowl, mix the ham, pork, crumbs, milk & eggs until well blended. Pack into tow loaf pans.
    In a small bowl, mix the brown sugar & mustard, then add the vinegar & water. Spoon some of this mixture over the tops of the loaves & bake in a preheated 350° oven for about 1 hour, basting occasionally.~~St. Michael's Cooks by Design

• pghsteelerfan
    18 years ago

Ooooo....I always make a ham and cheese quiche with any leftover, ground-up ham. If you're interested, let me know, and I'll post the recipe!

• san_
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanx very much for the ideas and recipes--i've copied a number of them! ted didn't think it looked like all that much meat and made a very plain ham salad out of it. i disagree but at least i'll have something better to fix the next time!

• Marigene
    18 years ago

I just made ham salad with what I had left over from last night! Just ham, a little celery and a shallot, threw it all in the processor, ground it then mixed it up with a little mayo and dijon. I very seldom put sweet relish in even though the hubby likes it that way.

• posie4u
    18 years ago

ham and cheese quiche recipe.

• rita10
    18 years ago

I'm new to this site and I know its too late for your ham but... I love ham hash,with coddled eggs on top, don't get to have it often- sometimes an old fashioned diner has it on the menu tho

• compumom
    18 years ago

Hi San, here's one of my favorite ways to use up the ham--

Ham and Tomato Mostaccioli

¼ cup (1/2 stick) butter/margarine
    ½ lb. Ham cooked and ground (I use steel blade in Cuisinart)
    2 large cloves of garlic, minced
    2 16-oz. cans of tomatoes, coarsely chopped (juice reserved)
    2 teaspoons of dried basil, crumbled

Tomato Paste- a little to thicken

8 oz. Mostaccioli pasta, freshly cooked (I use penne)
    1 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated

Melt butter in large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add ham and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes.

Stir in tomatoes with juice and basil and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Pour tomato sauce over pasta in serving dish. Toss to mix well. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.

• pghsteelerfan
    18 years ago

Ham & Cheese Quiche

9 inch unbaked pie shell
    4 eggs, beaten
    1 1/2 cups half & half
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1 cup ground ham

Spread the ground ham on bottom of crust. Blend the half & half with the eggs; pour over the ham into shell. Bake at 375 - 35/40 minutes or until puffy and golden. Remove from oven and sprinkle shredded cheese over top.

Return to oven; bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese melts.
    Cool 5 minutes before serving.

• doucanoe
    18 years ago

This calls for a small ham, baked, but it is really a good way to use leftover ham, too!

Easy Ham Pate

1 small canned ham
    8oz cream cheese, softened
    dill weed to taste
    garlic salt to taste

Place ham in covered roasting pan and bake at 325 degrees for about 2 hours
    or until ham is well done and browned.
    Cut cooked ham into cubes and process in food processor with remaining
    ingredients until of spreading consistency. Place in serving bowl and chill.
    Serve with assorted crackers

Linda

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner