Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
soozinca

LOOKING for: Uses for Crystal Ginger Chunks?

soozinca
16 years ago

I needed crystallized ginger and was in a hurry. I made do with 'crystal ginger chunks' and have a LOT left over. Any suggestions on what to do with it/them? Thanks!

Comments (9)

• lindac
    16 years ago

Put them into cookies, into a fruit salad...into apple pie or make Double gingersanps. You may have to cut the pieces up depending on how large theya re.
    I just pop a piece in my mouth like candy.
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Chop it & put it in gingerbread.

Try this recipe too which is wonderful at any time of the year. I think a friend got it from Williams-Sonoma:
    GINGER-PEAR CRANBERRY SAUCE

1 firm ripe pear
    juice from 1/2 lemon
    3 Cups fresh cranberries (1 bag)
    1 Cup sugar
    2/3 Cup water
    1/4 Cup crystallized ginger (NOT candied)
    1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

Peel, quarter, core, chop the pear.

Place in saucepan with lemon juice, stir well.

Sort berries (rinse in a colander and toss out the lousy looking ones and any stems). Add to pear along with sugar, water, cinnamon, and ginger. Boil, reduce to simmer, cover partially and simmer gently till pear is tender and cranberries burst.

Cool, then refrigerate.~~

• soozinca
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for these ideas!

• tobygirl
    16 years ago

Ginger: I have made so many batches of the Ginger-Pear Cranberry Sauce since you posted it on December 2, 2004.
    I eat it all winter long, for as long as there are cranberries in the stores and/or my freezer. Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe.

• fearlessem
    16 years ago

Hey Ginger --

I've linked to a recipe for a rhubarb cake with crystalized ginger that I've been meaning to try...

Emily

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhubarb Cake wth Candied Ginger

• ellenmm
    16 years ago

I've been using crystallized ginger in oatmeal all winter. Before I cook it in the microwave, I cut ginger into bits and mix it with a variety of dried fruits - cranberries, blueberries, raisins, etc. Occasionally, I will use fresh fruits, as bananas or berries, adding them after cooking.

• pink_warm_mama_1
    15 years ago

Remember it is also good for an upset stomach.

• ginger_st_thomas
    15 years ago

Tobygirl, that's the best cranberry sauce recipe I've ever had. Glad you like it too!

• woodie
    15 years ago

I just eat it like a snack sometimes and I like it in cereal too. Here's a delicious recipe for granola that I like to make which was posted by Fearless a while ago! In this recipe I leave out the flaxseeds and add in some dried cranberries for a little color.

MAPLE APRICOT GRANOLA
    Gourmet, February 2003
    Posted by Fearlessem

Active time: 20 min
    Start to finish: 1 hr
    serving size Makes about 10 cups.

1/4 cup flaxseeds (1 1/4 oz)
    6 cups old-fashioned oats (18 oz)
    2 cups sliced almonds (8 oz)
    1 cup hulled (green) pumpkin seeds (not roasted; 5 oz)
    1/2 cup hulled sunflower seeds (not roasted; 2 1/2 oz)
    1 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    3/4 cup pure maple syrup
    1/3 cup crystallized ginger (2 1/2 oz; optional), finely chopped
    2 cups dried apricots (11 oz), finely chopped

Accompaniments: plain yogurt or milk; honey or maple syrup
    Special equipment: an electric coffee/spice grinder
    preparation

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Finely grind flaxseeds in coffee/spice grinder, then stir together with oats, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, salt, oil, and syrup in a large bowl.
    Spread mixture evenly in 2 large shallow baking pans (1 inch deep) and bake in upper and lower thirds of oven, stirring and switching position of pans halfway through baking, until golden brown, about 30 minutes total.
    Cool granola completely in pans on racks, then stir in ginger (if using) and apricots.

Â Granola can be made 1 week ahead and kept in an airtight container at cool room temperature, or frozen 1 month.

Woodie's note - I omit the flaxseeds.

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living