Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Uses for Crystal Ginger Chunks?

Posted by soozinca (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 28, 08 at 14:00

I needed crystallized ginger and was in a hurry. I made do with 'crystal ginger chunks' and have a LOT left over. Any suggestions on what to do with it/them? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Uses for Crystal Ginger Chunks?

Put them into cookies, into a fruit salad...into apple pie or make Double gingersanps. You may have to cut the pieces up depending on how large theya re.
I just pop a piece in my mouth like candy.
Linda C

o

Chop it & put it in gingerbread.

Try this recipe too which is wonderful at any time of the year. I think a friend got it from Williams-Sonoma:
GINGER-PEAR CRANBERRY SAUCE

1 firm ripe pear
juice from 1/2 lemon
3 Cups fresh cranberries (1 bag)
1 Cup sugar
2/3 Cup water
1/4 Cup crystallized ginger (NOT candied)
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon

Peel, quarter, core, chop the pear.

Place in saucepan with lemon juice, stir well.

Sort berries (rinse in a colander and toss out the lousy looking ones and any stems). Add to pear along with sugar, water, cinnamon, and ginger. Boil, reduce to simmer, cover partially and simmer gently till pear is tender and cranberries burst.

Cool, then refrigerate.~~

o

Thanks for these ideas!

o

Ginger: I have made so many batches of the Ginger-Pear Cranberry Sauce since you posted it on December 2, 2004.
I eat it all winter long, for as long as there are cranberries in the stores and/or my freezer. Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe.

o

Hey Ginger --

I've linked to a recipe for a rhubarb cake with crystalized ginger that I've been meaning to try...

Emily

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhubarb Cake wth Candied Ginger

o

I've been using crystallized ginger in oatmeal all winter. Before I cook it in the microwave, I cut ginger into bits and mix it with a variety of dried fruits - cranberries, blueberries, raisins, etc. Occasionally, I will use fresh fruits, as bananas or berries, adding them after cooking.

o

Remember it is also good for an upset stomach.

o

Tobygirl, that's the best cranberry sauce recipe I've ever had. Glad you like it too!

o

I just eat it like a snack sometimes and I like it in cereal too. Here's a delicious recipe for granola that I like to make which was posted by Fearless a while ago! In this recipe I leave out the flaxseeds and add in some dried cranberries for a little color.

MAPLE APRICOT GRANOLA
Gourmet, February 2003
Posted by Fearlessem

Active time: 20 min
Start to finish: 1 hr
serving size Makes about 10 cups.

1/4 cup flaxseeds (1 1/4 oz)
6 cups old-fashioned oats (18 oz)
2 cups sliced almonds (8 oz)
1 cup hulled (green) pumpkin seeds (not roasted; 5 oz)
1/2 cup hulled sunflower seeds (not roasted; 2 1/2 oz)
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/3 cup crystallized ginger (2 1/2 oz; optional), finely chopped
2 cups dried apricots (11 oz), finely chopped

Accompaniments: plain yogurt or milk; honey or maple syrup
Special equipment: an electric coffee/spice grinder
preparation

Preheat oven to 350F.

Finely grind flaxseeds in coffee/spice grinder, then stir together with oats, almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, salt, oil, and syrup in a large bowl.
Spread mixture evenly in 2 large shallow baking pans (1 inch deep) and bake in upper and lower thirds of oven, stirring and switching position of pans halfway through baking, until golden brown, about 30 minutes total.
Cool granola completely in pans on racks, then stir in ginger (if using) and apricots.

Granola can be made 1 week ahead and kept in an airtight container at cool room temperature, or frozen 1 month.

Woodie's note - I omit the flaxseeds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here