Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Looking for Hot Cross Buns - very light & yeasty

Posted by stinkydavis (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 19, 11 at 13:44

I can't find a recipe for Hot Cross Buns that suggests what I want, which is, very light & yeasty. I'd buy them in a store or bakery but bakeries are gone forever it seems and grocery stores that "bake" have sort of heavy things, more like scones. I have never been very good with yeast breads but a pro once told me that the yeasty taste which is missing so much these days comes from not enough yeast and not enough rising time. Every spring, Lent, I think of giving it another whack if only I had a recipe.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Looking for Hot Cross Buns - very light & yeasty

Here is one that says they are light, link below

Here is a link that might be useful: hot cross buns

o
RE: RECIPE: Looking for Hot Cross Buns - very light & yeasty

I've made these every year (usually 6-8 dozen) for the past 35 years or so- they are very light and yeasty. They are very popular with family and friends and the only kind DH will eat any more :-)

Hot Cross Buns

450g/1 lb flour
2 sachets/3 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp caster/superfine sugar
300ml/10 fl oz milk
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp mixed spice/pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp salt
50g/2 oz (by weight) caster sugar
100g/4oz (by weight) currants
25g/1 oz (by weight) mixed peel
50g/2 oz/1/2 stick melted butter
1 beaten egg

Mix yeast, 100g/4 oz flour and 1 tsp sugar in a bowl. Warm milk to blood heat, add to mixture and leave half an hour or until frothy. Sift remaining flour with salt, spices and sugar. Pour butter and egg into batter, mix well, then add spiced flour and fruit. Knead 10 minutes, leave to rise, punch down, knead lightly and divide into 12. Roll each piece into a bun and place close to each other on a greased sheet to rise. Make a flour and water paste and place a cross on each bun. Bake at 190C/375F 20-25 minutes. Glaze hot buns with 25g/1 oz sugar dissolved in 3 tablespoons water. Brush glaze on hot buns with a pastry brush.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here