Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselin32

LOOKING for: Pavlova

roselin32
16 years ago

We have just returned from a trip to New Zealand and had some wonderful Pavlova over there.........anyone have a recipe they really like?? Thanks.

Comments (12)

• lindac
    16 years ago

It's just a merangue shell with fruit...
    Here's the shell:
    The Shell:

2 egg whites at room temperature
    3/4 tsp. vanilla
    1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
    2/3 cup sugar
    Draw a 10 inch circle on a piuece of parchment and place on a baking sheet.
    Draw a 10 inch circle on a piece of wax paper and place on a baking sheet.
    Add vanilla and cream of tartar to egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high speed until very stiff peaks form and sugar is almost dissolved (about 5 minutes).

Using the back of a spoon, spread meringue onto the circle, building the sides up to form a bowl.

Bake in a 300F oven for 35 minutes. Turn off the oven and let shell dry in the oven, with the door closed for one hour.
    Fill just before serving with fruit of your choice andw hipped cream.
    Linda C

• roselin32
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No, the Pavlova we had looked like an angel food cake so it was much more than 2 egg whites and was also covered with whipped cream and fruit. Lovely, lovely dessert.

• lindac
    16 years ago

Then double the recipe..... and add lots and lots of whipped cream
    I am telling you this is the way it's done....you can use the 2 egg white merangue and only make a 6 inch circle if you want it higher.
    You are not limited as to the amount of whipped cream and fruit you put on the merangue shell...pile it high!
    Here's another recipe for one twice the size....the one I posted came from an Australian friend.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another Pavlova

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

PAVLOVA (serves 10)
    4 egg whites, room temperature
    1 cup sugar
    1 tsp white wine vinegar
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1 TBL cornstarch

Topping:
    1 cup heavy cream
    1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
    2 cups sliced or chopped fresh fruit

Preheat the oven to 400°. Line a baking sheet with floil. Lightly butter the foil. In a bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry. Add the sugar gradually, beating constantly. Add the vinegar & vanilla; beat 5 minutes. Add the cornstarch; beat for 1 minute. Mound the meringue onto the prepared baking sheet into a disk about 2" high. Imprint the edge of the disk with the back of a spoon with an upward motion. Place in the oven; reduce the heat to 250°. Bake 1 1/2 hours, remove from oven & cool.
    Beat the cream until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar, beating until stiff peaks are formed. Fold in the fruit. Mound the fruited cream in the center of the pavlova. Cut into wedges & serve.~~Nuggets: Recipes Good as Gold

• marge727
    16 years ago

We just got back from Australia and I ordered the Pavolova there. I love it and it was the regular Meringue nest with the whip cream and fruit in it but it also had some custard.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marge, the Pavlova that we had was almost as high as an angel food cake..........a bit of a crust like you would get in a pie plate but the rest was very soft....not runny just soft. Each restaurant we ate at on the south island had it for dessert and I tried all of them!! Nice, lovely, light dessert.........._if you don't count the whipped cream like Ginger does.
    Met some really fun Aussies and they want us to come visit on our next trip but after that 12 hour flight, am not ready to go anyplace just yet! Was a lovely trip though. Bet yours was as well.

• teresa_nc7
    16 years ago

Here is a recipe for Pavlova from a former neighbor who lived in New Zealand for several years. It is delicious and impressive!

Pavlova from MaDonna Hartley by way of New Zealand

5 egg whites
    2 TB sugar
    1/4 t. vanilla
    3/4 cup powdered sugar
    scant 1/2 cup cornstarch

Filling
    1 1/2 c. whipping cream
    1/4 c. powdered sugar plus 2 TB
    2 cups fresh fruit
    1 TB cherry brandy

Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Draw a 9-10-inch circle in the center of the paper. Preheat oven to 225F.

In a large bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Beat in 2 TB sugar and the vanilla. Sprinkle 3/4 c. sugar and the powdered sugar over the egg whites and beat until dissolved. Sift cornstarch over the top and fold in by hand.

Spoon meringue into a pastry bag and pipe onto the drawn circle (or simply spread onto the circle). Using a large #10 tip, pipe a spiral to fill inside of circle. Pipe small balls around the edge to make a raised side. Bake for 1 1/2 hours until firm.

Puree 1 cup of the fruit in a blender or food processor. Pour into a bowl; stir in the 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Whip cream with 2 TB powdered sugar until stiff. Bold in the brandy. Spread the cream in the baked meringue shell. Arrange whole or sliced fruit on top. Spoon the pureed fruit over the whole fruit. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Serves 8-10.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I wonder if it is the cornstarch that would make the difference and do what I am looking for?? Thanks for the recipe.
    RL`

• lindac
    16 years ago

The corn starch stabilizes the egg whites, it will still be "meringue like" albeit not as crisp as one baked at a warmer temp and left in the oven.
    I did run across a recipe for a Pavlova that had a pastry cream filling, could that be what you are thinking of?
    Linda C

• roselin32
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No, it did not have a pastry cream filling.......think Teresa's is closest to what I am looking for although Ginger's could work too.

• colleenoz
    16 years ago

If you bake the pavlova in a lined springform cake tin it will be more marshmallowy than crisp.

• roselin32
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hm.......thought I had asked you a question but guess I didn't submit it, Colleen..........what do you line your springform pan with. "Marshmallowy" is the perfect description of the pavlova we had.
    RL`

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!