Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geri_7

LOOKING for: Your favorite vegetable side dish

geri_7
16 years ago

Although I am not a vegetarian, vegetables are my very favorite food group (with the possible exception of the chocolate food group) I am always looking for yummy new vegetable dishes. What are your favorites?

Comments (18)

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

GORGONZOLA POTATOES (serves 12)
    6 large baking potatoes
    Vegetable oil
    1 cup sour cream
    6 TBL butter, softened
    3 TBL milk
    4 oz Gorgonzola, crumbled
    1 tsp salt
    Wash potatoes & rub skins w/oil. Bake in a preheated 450 oven for 45 minutes. Cut in 1/2. Scoop out potato pulp
    in a large bowl. Add sour cream, butter, milk & cheese; blend well. Stir in salt. Mound in potato skins. Bake 10 more minutes to heat. If you freeze ahead, reheat at 350° for 30 minutes.~~
    Works well, freezing ahead.

LEMONY GREEN BEANS (serves 6-8 )
    1 1/2 lbs tender green beans, trimmed
    1/2 TBL salt
    2 TBL olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, chipped
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp salt
    3 TBL fresh lemon juice
    2 TBL minced fresh basil or 1 TBL dried

Combine the beans & 1/2 TBL salt in water to cover in a saucepan. Cook unntil al dente. Pour into a colander & rinse immediately with cold water; drain. Mix the olive oil, garlic, pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, lemon juice & basil in a container with a tight lid. Add the beans. Marinate, tightly covered at room temperature for 30 minutes, turning occasionally. Marinate in the the refrigerator for 8-10 hours for a tangier flavor. Bring to room temperature before serving.~~

SWEET & SOUR SQUASH (serves 8 )
    4 small zucchini
    4 small yellow squash
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1 red onion, chopped fine
    1 red bell pepper, seeded & chopped
    1 cup sherry wine vinegar (white wine vinegar works)
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/3 dup olive oil
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp pepper

Slice the zucchini & yellow squash paper-thin into a large shallow bowl. Add the celery, red onion & bell pepper. Combine the remaining ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil & stir to dissolve the sugar. Pour the dressing over the vegetables while still hot. Cover & marinate at room temperature or chill overnight. Drain & serve.~~

ROSEMARY ROASTED POTATOES (SERVES 4)
    2 TBL vegetable or olive oil
    1 TBL butter, melted
    2 lbs new potatoes
    1 1/2 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
    1/2 tsp garlic salt
    1/2 tsp pepper

Combine oil & butter ina 2 qt roasting pan. Add potatoes; stir to coat. sprinkle w/rosemary, garlic salt & pepper. Stir well. Bake in a preheated 400° oven for 30 minutes, stirring often, until tender & brown.~~
    From Food For Thought

• momj47
    16 years ago

I made this recipe this weekend and it was a hit with my son who doesn't eat a lot of veggies. Now I'm going to try it out on my vegetarian SIL. I didn't add the polenta this time, since my son and his SO are doing Atkins.

Vegetable Casserole with Polenta and Cheese
    (Calabacitas Casserole with Polenta and Cheese)

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 cups corn kernels, defrosted
    4 cloves garlic, smashed
    1 green Chile pepper seeded and chopped or, 2 jalapenos seeded and chopped

2 small to medium zucchini, diced
    1 small to medium yellow squash
    1 large yellow skinned onion, chopped
    1(14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
    2 teaspoons chili powder
    Salt and pepper
    Polenta (1 (16-ounce) tube prepared) or freshly made (optional for those on Atkins!)
    2 cups, 10 ounces, freshly shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    3 scallions; chopped
    2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves or flat-leaf parsley

Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Add 1 T olive oil to baking dish

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
    Add 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, corn, garlic and chilies. Sauté 3 minutes.
    Add zucchini and yellow squash and onions, season with salt and pepper, chili powder; cook 7 to 8 minutes.
    Add tomatoes and heat through.
    Transfer to baking dish.
    Top vegetables with polenta and cheese.
    Place in hot oven to melt cheese and warm polenta, 8 to 10 minutes.

Garnish with chopped scallions and cilantro or flat-leaf parsley.

It's a very forgiving recipe, it's easy to make changes and still have a great dish. I seeded the jalapenos and it had just sparkle of spice - perfect for me.

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Here's a good one:

- serves 8

4 Tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
    4 cups chopped yellow onions (2 large)
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
    1 cup heavy cream
    2 cups milk
    About 3 pounds frozen chopped spinach, defrosted (5 10-ounce packages)
    1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
    1 Tablespoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 cup grated Gruyere cheese

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
    Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent, about 15 minutes. Add the flour and nutmeg and cook, stirring, for 2 more minutes. Add the cream and milk and cook until thickened.
    Squeeze as much liquid as possible from the spinach and add the spinach to the sauce. Add 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese and mix well. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
    Transfer the spinach to a baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan and the Gruyere on top. Bake for 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Serve immediately.

Source: "Barefoot Contessa Parties" 2001
    Passed on to me by my daughter Michelle

Here's another which I rolled up into crepes:

The best raisins of all are the sweet Malaga muscatel, but any raisin will be fine. Chard can be used instead of the spinach; both cook down considerably. If there are leftovers, use them to fill empanadas, made the easy way using squares of frozen puff pastry or pie dough.

1/4 cup raisins
    1 1/4 pounds spinach or Swiss chard, washed, trimmed and chopped
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    3 tablespoons minced onion
    1/4 cup pine nuts
    Salt and pepper

In a small bowl, cover the raisins with hot water and let stand 10 minutes. Drain. Chop the spinach or chard coarsely. Heat the oil in a large skillet and saute the garlic and onion over medium-high heat until onion is wilted. Add the greens, turn heat to high and stir-fry 1 or 2 minutes.

Drain raisins and add them with pine nuts to the skillet. Season with salt and pepper. Combine well, cover and cook slowly over low heat for a few minutes until the greens are as soft as desired. Serves 4.

-- "Traditional Spanish Cooking" by Janet Mendel

And another....

This is a delicious meatless baked vegetable casserole. The crumbled cheese, nut & seed topping takes this over the top flavour-wise.

Serves 4 - 6

1 TBSP olive oil
    1 lg onion, chopped = 2 cups chopped
    1 medium leek, sliced (light green and white parts only) = 2 cups chopped
    1 medium courgette, cut into 1 inch (2 cm) pieces
    1 large carrot, cut into 1 inch (2 cm) pieces
    1 cup (4 oz) (125 grams) sweet potato, peeled and cut into
    1 inch (2 cm) chunks
    1 1/2 cups (4 oz) (125 grams) mushrooms, quartered
    1 stick celery, cut into 1/2 inch (1cm) slices = 2/3 cup sliced
    1/2 a medium red bell pepper, cored and cut into 1 inch (2cm) slices = 1 cup sliced
    1 TBSP chopped fresh thyme
    3 TBSP (10 oz) (25 grams) whole wheat flour
    1 1/4 cups whole canned tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
    - this is a one lb (450 grams) tin
    1 cup (9 fl oz) (250 ml) vegetable stock
    1/2 cup (4 fl oz) (125 ml) milk
    4 TBSP chopped fresh parsley
    1/2 teasp sea salt
    1/2 teasp freshly ground black pepper

For the Topping:

3 TBSP soft margarine
    3 TBSP (10 oz) (25 grams) all purpose flour (I used whole wheat again)
    3 TBSP wheat bran
    3/4 cup (3 oz) (75 grams) grated reduced fat mild Cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup (2 oz )(50 grams) chopped mixed nuts (measured after chopping) I used hazelnuts & almonds
    2 TBSP sesame seeds

1. Preheat the oven to 375F (190C), Gas 5.
    Heat the oil over a medium high heat in a large saucepan.
    Cook the leek and onion for 5 minutes or until softened.
    Add the carrot, courgette, sweet potato, mushrooms, celery, red pepper and thyme.
    Cook, stirring frequently for 10 minutes.

2. Mix in the flour and cook for 1 minute more.

3. Stir in the tomatoes, stock, milk, parsley and seasoning;

Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.

4. Meanwhile, combine the margarine, flour and wheat bran in a bowl.
    Rub the ingredients together using your fingers until the mixture is crumbly.
    Stir in the cheese, nuts and sesame seeds.

5. Spoon the vegetable mixture into a 2 quart (2 liter) shallow baking dish.

6. Bake for 30 minutes or until the topping is crisp and golden and the vegetable mixture is bubbling.

For Freezer Storage:
    Add 2 TBSP whole wheat flour to the filling in Step 1.
    After step 4, wrap well and freeze for up to 1 month.
    Bake from frozen, increasing the cooking time by 30 - 45 minutes.

Source: Adapted from: Rick Gallops GI Diet Green-Light Cookbook

SharonCb

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

Sharon - the Vegetable Crumble looks delicious. I googled courgettes - got a variety of squashes - which do you use?
    Also, what would you do to freeze the leftovers after it has been cooked & served?
    thanks!

• geri_7
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all very much! These all sound wonderful. I have made the Contessa's Spinach Gratin numerous times and count it among my all time favorites!

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Courgettes are zucchini.

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

Thank you ginger - We get alot of zucchini here!

• canarybird01
    16 years ago

Magothyrivergirl...

Over here courgettes refer to the baby zucchini squash, similar in size to a small cucumber, a slice of which would be about the size of a silver dollar.

I'm sorry I haven't tried to freeze a cooked portion of the vegetable crumble so I can't say how it would be after defrosting. I guess I'd just wrap it up well in plastic and foil and when it came time to defrost, let it come to room temperature and then heat gently.

SharonCb

• squeakesue
    15 years ago

BROCCOLI SOUFFLE

20 oz. pkg. frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 c. mayonnaise
    1 sm. onion, minced
    1 c. grated cheddar cheese
    16 Ritz crackers
    1 egg, beaten
    Butter

Mix soup, mayonnaise, onion, cheese and egg with broccoli. Place in buttered 2 quart casserole. Crush crackers and sprinkle crumbs on top. Dot with butter. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

• sayhellonow
    15 years ago

canarybird:

Thanks so much for the Spinach with Raisins and Pine Nuts recipe. I had what I believe to be the same recipe in Florida once, but it was served as the filling between two flour tortillas. I have looked and looked for that tortilla recipe and believe it's this one you've posted. This was several years ago, and I may not remember correctly, but I believe the tortillas were also spread with cream cheese. This (sans cream cheese and tortillas) was also served in a Tapas restaurant in Spain. It's a great dish.

The Barefoot Contessa is one of my favorites cooks.

• annova914
    15 years ago

These two recipes look so simple but they are delicious and favorites in my family. They're special enough for company :)

Rice and Pecans

1-1/2 cups rice
    3-3/4 cups water
    1-1/2 tsps salt
    2 Tbsps butter (for toasting pecans)
    1 cup pecan halves, toasted
    ¼ cup minced parsley
    ¼ cup onions, diced and sauteed
    ¼ cup celery, diced and sauteed

Cook the rice in salted water using your favorite method. When the rice is fluffy and water is absorbed, stir in the toasted pecan halves, parsley, and sauteed onions and celery using a fork to keep rice fluffy.

Note: To toast the pecans, melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Stir the pecans until they are crisp and beginning to brown. Watch and stir to avoid burning. Serves 4 to 6.

Source: Crystal River Inn
    The Great Country Inns of America Cookbook

Green Beans with Mushroom and Scallions

2 lbs fresh green beans, ends trimmed
    3 bunches scallions, chopped
    2 Tbsps butter
    2 Tbsps olive oil
    ½ lb large mushrooms, quartered
    Salt & freshly ground black pepper
    1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

Cook green beans for 6 minutes - do not let them get soggy.

Lightly saute mushrooms and scallions in 2 Tbsps butter and 2 Tbsps olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.

Drain beans. Toss all ingredients together with lemon juice. Serve immediately.

source?? This is my husband's recipe which he found years ago. - Ann

• aaressler
    15 years ago

Wow! These all sound delicious. I am always looking for ways to get my husband and 4 boys to eat more veggies. Here is one of our favorites:

Brussels Sprouts With Bacon
    3 slices bacon, chopped
    1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 shallot, chopped
    1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 cup chicken broth

Brown bacon in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Remove bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Add extra-virgin olive oil to the pan. Add shallots and saute 1 to 2 minutes. Add Brussels spouts and coat in oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook Brussels sprouts 2 to 3 minutes to begin to soften, then add broth. Bring broth to a bubble, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Cook 10 minutes, until tender. Transfer sprouts to a serving dish with a slotted spoon and top with cooked bacon bits.

• sayhellonow
    15 years ago

I have become addicted to Mock Mashed Potatoes made with cauliflower! I had seen the recipes from time to time, but never thought they would really taste like real mashed potatoes -- but they do. My preparation is very simple. I've seen it with Ranch Dressing or non-fat Ranch Dressing added to it also.

Steam a head of cauliflower until very soft.
    Mash.
    Add I Can't Believe It's Not Butter & salt to taste.

----------------------------------------------------------

Here's another one, a bit more complicated but still easy:

Mock Mashed Potatoes

Your guests will probably never know that these rich mashed potatoes contain no potatoes at all. They are made from cauliflower. Great for low-carb diets. These are doubly good with bacon bits added.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 head cauliflower, cut into florets (discard core and large stems)
    1 (14 ounces) can chicken or vegetable broth (or homemade - about 1-3/4 cups)
    2 Tbsp butter
    2 ounces cream cheese
    2 Tbsp sour cream
    1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1/4 cup sliced green onions, white and green parts
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

PREPARATION:
    1. Place cauliflower florets in a large saucepan. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
    2. Cover and simmer until very tender, about 12 minutes.
    3. Drain thoroughly through a fine sieve and return to the pot over low heat.
    4. Cook about 2 more minutes to dry out excess moisture, stirring constantly. (It's okay that they break apart.)
    Pour cauliflower into food processor fitted with the metal blade.
    5. Add butter, cream cheese, sour cream, cheddar cheese, green onion, salt, and pepper. Pulse to combine. Reheat before serving, if necessary.

• roselin32
    15 years ago

This is one of the few ways I like yellow summer squash but my husband loves it so have had to find ways that I like it.
    Vicki's Yellow Squash

8c yellow squash, cubed
    1c cottage cheese
    2T flour
    1 tsp chicken boullion granules
    2 eggs
    1c shredded cheddar cheese, divided
    3T crisp bacon or real bacon bits
    Cook squash in a little water until almost tender. Cool and mix all ingredients (only 1/2 of the cheese). Pour into a greased casserole, top with remaining cheese and bake at 350° for 1 hour or til set. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

• ruthanna_gw
    15 years ago

APRICOT-GLAZED BEETS 4 servings

2 Tbs. butter
    1 tsp. lemon juice
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    1/4 cup apricot juice-*
    1/8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
    1/8 tsp. grated ginger root (optional)
    12 to 16 baby beets, about 1 inch in diameter, cooked and peeled

In saucepan, combine all ingredients except beets. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to low and simmer for 4 to 8 minutes. Add beets and toss gently to coat. Heat through for one minute. You can use larger beets, cut into quarters or eighths.

* - To make your own apricot juice: Combine 1/4 cup dried apricots and 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer over very low heat for about 40 minutes, or until apricots are soft. Remove apricots (these can be diced and sprinkled over the beets or used in scones, nut bread, etc.)

• roselin32
    15 years ago

I've posted this one before but since we seem to have people here that like spinach, thought I would post it again........it's a favorite of ours.
    Spinach Topped French Bread
    1 10 oz pk chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    2c shredded Cheddar Cheese
    2c shredded` Mozzarella cheese
    1/2c butter, melted
    1 loaf French Bread cut in half lengthwise
    Combine first 5 ingedients in a large bowl; stir well. Spread mixture evenly on bread halves. Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake uncovered at 350° for15 minutes or until cheese melts.
    Yield: 8 servings
    From America's Best Recipes
    RL`

• eileenlaunonen
    15 years ago

I dont have the recipe on hand but its on this site,My Creamed Brussel Sprouts...which I now prefer to roast in the oven first!!! YUM!!

• snowball
    15 years ago

Garlic Green Beans
    opps found this on one of the other sites and now its sliped my mind believe you cook your beans (can use canned if fact recipe calls for it) saute garlic a lot of garlic in butter mix in the beans and add grated mozarilla cheese it is so good seem to remember that it has slivered almonds toasted in it.
    sheila

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks