Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

LOOKING for: marinated beets

lpinkmountain
17 years ago

I have a recipe that calls for roasted beets, then a citrus marinade to make a salad. I've made it twice, the first time I wrote on the recipe, "kind of bland," and the second time I made it, even with doubling all the marinade indgredients, it was still kind of bland. Does anyone have a good recipe for cold marinated beets?

Note to self: make pickled beets this year when beets are in season. The jars of pickled beets at the store were $4.50 for a pint! The only reason I don't make them more often is I can't eat a whole batch canned up. My one jar lasted me six months!

Comments (13)

• lindac
    17 years ago

You mean pickled beets??
    I buy a jar of sliced beets, dump out the liquid and save it, measure 1/2 and add the same amount of cider vinegar, and add 1/2 of that amount of sugar ( if you have 1 cup beet liquid and dump out 1/2 and add 1/2 cup vinegar, you add 1/4 cup sugar)...I add a few slices of onion, 5 or 6 cloves about 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed, a bay leaf, put the cap back and refrigerate for a day or more.
    Linda C

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

This is a little different. Not sure if it's exactly what you want or not but the jalapeno jelly should help:
    MINTED BEETS (serves 4-6)
    6-7 medium beets (about 3 cups cooked & sliced) trimmed
    1 TBL butter
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    2 TBL jalapeno jelly
    1 TBL fresh lemon juice
    2 to 2 1/2 TBL minced fresh mint

Preheat oven to 350°. Place the beets in a covered dish & bake approximately 1 hour or until they can be pierced easily with a knife.
    Allow the beets to cool until they can be easily handled. Peel the beets & slice them.
    Melt the butter in a medium saucepan & add the beets & cloves. Over medium heat, warm the beets, stirring occasionally. After a couple minutes, add the jelly & lemon juice, stirring to combine. Remove the pan from the heat & stir in the mint. Serve the beets hot or at room temperature.~~

• Bev Cashen
    17 years ago

DELICIOUS BEETS

6 c. cooked sliced beets or 3 cans sliced beets
    1 c. sugar
    1 c. vinegar
    2 T. cornstarch
    24 whole cloves
    3 T. ketchup
    3 T. cooking oil
    Dash Kosher salt
    1 t. pure vanilla

Drain the beets, and reserve 1 & 1/2 cups of the liquid.
    Put the beets in a saucepan along with the liquid, and all the other ingredients
    Combine well, and cook over medium heat about 3-4 minutes or until the mixture thickens.

Allow to cool, then store in the fridg until well chilled.
    Can be made in advance.

Enjoy!

• dances_in_garden
    17 years ago

I like to mix thinly sliced sweet onion, cubed large beets or halved baby beets (cooked however. Boiled, roasted, even from a can), some salt and pepper, and balsamic vinegar. I find the balsamic really brings out the earthy sweetness of the beets and has the right tang and "stickiness". You can also crumble in some goat or feta cheese. It goes all pink!

Mix this up and chill. It tastes good the next day too.

• khandi
    17 years ago

We like this. Can't remember where I got the recipe. I think it's from New York Times Cookbook.

Beet and Onion Salad

(6 servings)

6 medium beets, cooked
    1 medium onion, sliced tissue-thin
    3 whole cloves
    1/4 cup olive oil
    3 Tbsp cider vinegar, or more
    1 tsp sugar, or more
    Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Drain and cool the beets, trim them and slip off the skins with a paring knife. Cut beets into thin slices and chill them.

Add onion slices to the beets and toss with remaining ingredients.

• KatieC
    17 years ago

Here's one I use when I don't have any pickled beets in the pantry...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Quick Pickled Beets

Recipe By : Katie
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup vinegar
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon cloves
    2 cups sliced, cooked beets

Heat first six ingredients to boiling. Pour over beets. Let stand six hours.

These can be made with cooked or canned beets.

Source:"BH&G New Cookbook, mid-60's"

• ruthanna_gw
    17 years ago

This dressing is good on beets.

CITRUS DRESSING

1/3 cup orange juice
    1 Tbs. lemon juice
    2 tsp. minced, peeled fresh gingerroot
    3 scallions, thinly sliced
    2 Tbs. wine vinegar
    1/4 tsp. black pepper
    1/2 cup olive oil
    Salt

Mix all ingredients except oil together with fork or wire whisk. Slowly add oil, whisking until dressing has thickened slightly. Add salt to taste. Serve at room temperature.

• kayskats
    17 years ago

although you were probably looking for pickled or marinated which I love, the April issue of Gourmet has a recipe for maple horseradish roasted beets that sounds anything but bland. The April recipes haven't been posted on line yet, but should be avaiable soon at epicurious.com

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for all these wonderful recipes! I love beets so I'm going to try and buy them more often now. They are so healthy and are one of the few reasonably priced organic items I can get in the store. Plus I love the greens too! I can't wait to try these recipes. Thanks again!
    Lpink

• ruthanna_gw
    17 years ago

My very favorite beet recipe is this one with a maple-apricot glaze:

APRICOT-GLAZED BEETS Â 4 servings

2 Tbs. butter
    1 tsp. lemon juice
    1/4 cup maple syrup
    1/4 cup apricot juice-*
    1/8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
    1/8 tsp. grated ginger root (optional)
    12 to 16 baby beets, about 1 inch in diameter, cooked and peeled

In saucepan, combine all ingredients except beets. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to low and simmer for 4 to 8 minutes. Add beets and toss gently to coat. Heat through for one minute. You can use larger beets, cut into quarters or eighths.

* - To make your own apricot juice: Combine 1/4 cup dried apricots and 1 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer over very low heat for about 40 minutes, or until apricots are soft. Remove apricots (these can be diced and sprinkled over the beets or used in scones, nut bread, etc.)

These are good either hot or cold:

ROASTED BEETS WITH MUSTARD

2 lbs. small beets (12-16)
    1 Tbs. olive oil
    1/4 cup sliced scallions
    2 Tbs. Dijon mustard
    1 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
    salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Scrub the beets; remove greens and cut off the stems and root ends. Cut the beets in half lengthwise.

On a baking sheet with sides, toss the beets with the oil. Arrange cut-side down and roast for 30 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork. Let cool for 5 minutes and peel off and discard the skin.

Cut the beets into 3/ 8 inch square strips. Place in a bowl and toss with scallions, mustard and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Makes 4 servings

(Adapted from a recipe in The Eating Well Rush Hour Cookbook)

• linda_intennessee
    17 years ago

nothing better than fresh beets
    but if you don't have the time
    open up a can
    use equal
    water
    sugar
    cider vinegar

and let simmer away
    they will be delicious.
    i have made them this way for years.

• kayskats
    17 years ago

try this one -- it's my favorite -- and very simple. I like them best when warm, but leftover can be chilled.

Balsamic Roasted Beets

4 medium fresh beets
    Salt to taste
    Pepper to taste
    Balsamic vinegar

Cut tops from beets leaving 1/2 inch. Wrap each beet in heavy duty foil. Place on a pan in a slow oven (250°F) and roast 90 minutes to 2 hours or until tender. Remove from oven and let stand still wrapped in foil. When able to handle, remove foil and slip skin and tops from beets. Slice or cut in wedges.
    While still warm, add salt and pepper to taste and splash generously with Balsamic vinegar. Let stand at least 30 minutes and serve at room temperature.

• labmomma
    17 years ago

Roast 425 till tender. Cube or quarter. Marinade is 1 part olive oil to 3 parts balsamic vinegar (I found a lemon fig balsamic and a cherry balsamic - Williams-Sonoma) which I am using on my beets for Easter. I may do red onion and orange segments.

For Thanksgiving I did them over carmelized onions topped with mache and crumbled Stilton. Not a beet left on the tray and beets are one veggie that are difficult to get people to try. I have converted many a nay-sayer.

One think I can't stand is canned beets. Roasting them gives them wonderful flavor and use the juice that comes off after roasting (be sure to wash and dry well before roasting:)). It is well worth the time. I buy aluminum throw away trays so the cleanup is not a problem. Also, use a pair of latex gloves to peel & cut them once they cool a bit.