Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
october17_gw

RECIPE: New High Fiber Diet

october17
15 years ago

I saw this Dr. on public television who developed a high-fiber diet. I went to the library and borrowed her book. Her theory sounds really good and I'm giving it a shot. The diet requires you to eat 35 grams of fiber every day. I'm not doing too bad. I use my bread machine to make high fiber wheat and rye bread. Grape nuts cereal with fruit. Smoothies with froz fruit, banana and a tad of yogurt and milk.

Barley is a new discovery for me too. I'm using it in my favorite pasta salad recipes in place of the pasta.

I have some great pinto bean recipes for things like fudge (very good if you've never tried), pie crust, cake. I'd like to maybe use it for pizza??? Anyone have any ideas for a mexican pizza using pinto bean puree? I'd like to use whole wheat pizza crust from my bread machine. Is there any substitute or partial substitute for cheese on a pizza? (Doubt that one could be anywhere near as good!)

Brown rice is something I've never really used. Anyone have any good recipes using brown rice?

Or any high fiber ideas of any kind? Anyone ever been on this diet?

Comments (7)

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

I have not read about this particular diet, but I'm trying to get more fiber in my diet to help with diverticulosis. Here is some information I have found:

~ making your own whole grain or multi-grain bread is a good idea; just watch how much plain (white) all-purpose flour is in the recipe as that is not the way to get whole grains; add unprocessed wheat bran and wheat germ to bread recipes

~ add more barley, oatmeal, and brown rice to your eating habits; I cook up both barley and brown rice in 2 cup (uncooked) portions then freeze the extra in 1 cup (cooked) portions for later use

~ eat 3-5 servings of fruit and veggies every day, with as many of them eaten raw as you can

~ add cooked dried beans (mashed) to meatloaf, meatballs, casserole, meat sauce, chili, taco meat; or you can add 1 TB unprocessed wheat bran to these recipes as you are making them

~ for snacks, eat fresh fruit (not fruit juice), pretzels, baked tortilla chips with bean dip, fresh veggie sticks with an herbed yogurt dip.

Brown rice might take some getting used to, but the more you eat it the better it tastes!

A Mexican pizza could be made with a flour tortilla, topped with seasoned mashed pintos or refried beans, some taco seasoned ground beef if you want, cheese - then top with shredded lettuce, diced onion, tomato, olives, peppers, jalapenos, any topping you like on a taco. You could drizzle some taco sauce or salsa over all if you like a spicy sauce.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Some of the best vegetables for fiber are brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, greens, green beans, peppers, onions, peas, potato with the skin on, Romaine lettuce, snow peas, squash (both winter and summer) and sweet potatoes. (I've got to avoid corn, popcorn, seeds, nuts, etc.)

• october17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks teresa! She talks about diverticulosis in her book. It must be horrible to live with. Is the fiber helping you?

I love your pizza idea. I have to hunt down some whole wheat tortillas. I miss the pinto bean stuff. Used to eat a whole bunch of that stuff about 20 years ago. We used to make veggie burgers with it. They were awesome. I did make meatballs with it once too. They were ok but didn't flavor my sauce like real meatballs do.

I found a cream of spinach soup recipe that uses cauliflower as the thickener! Whoda thunk? I'm gonna try it tonight with frozen cauliflower, tho it calls for fresh.

I use flaxseed meal in my breads. I make my bread with rye, whole wheat flour, flaxseed meal and some white bread flour. What I need is a slicer. I am so bad at slicing the bread, lol. I'd eat more sandwiches with it if I could only slice it straight and thin.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cream of Spinach Soup Recipe

• trudymom
    15 years ago

october17, let us know how that soup was. Thanks!

• shambo
    15 years ago

I make bran muffins every week, but I was craving a bran-y type bread stuff that wasn't sweet. I found a pretty good recipe on the Hodgson Mills website for "High Fiber Bran Bread." Instead of making bread, I made it into dinner rolls. I was really pleased with the results. They were tasty, full of fiber, but not sweet. Perfect for any time. I've included the link to the recipe.

I used my bread machine to knead the dough and for the rising. Here are my notes:

*I added 2 tbsp. vital wheat gluten, putting it in the bottom of the cup when measuring the flour
    *I ended up adding about 3 tsp. water to the dough while kneading in the machine
    *I brushed the dough with a bit of oil and also misted it while rising in the machine (to keep the top from drying out)
    *I made 18 rolls (approx. 2 oz. each)
    *I baked the rolls at 375 for about 25 mins.

My Notes for Next time: Use 2-1/4 tsp. active dry yeast and let the dough rise an hour.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hodgson Mill High Fiber Bran Bread

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

Thanks for the good ideas! The diver. is chronic rather than acute so far - just one of those little joys that come with getting older. (groan)

I thought I was getting enough fiber as I eat mostly whole wheat and whole grain bread, plenty of fruit too. But a high fiber diet is supposed to be the way to ward off attacks.

The cream of spinach soup sounds good. I plan to add some kidney beans to my spaghetti meat sauce the next time I make it just to see if I can detect any great difference - or if I like them added to another recipe.

• october17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didn't get to make the soup last night, BF got way ahead of me on the grill (which is unusual) so I hurried and just steamed it. But it was so good, I'm going to go buy somemore today and some cauliflower. (He had pork chops and my mom and I had italian sausage. What a treat from my favorite butcher - he makes the sausage fresh!)

And, I'm going to get some of that Hodgson Mill bran and try shambo's recipe. My ex used to eat some Hodgson Mill thing for breakfast. We were on a pretty much NO FAT diet way back when. That is the only time that the little skin tags disappeared off my eye lids and neck. They are small and few now, and only on my neck, but it was nice not to have any. I do believe they are tied to the fat in my diet - which I do try to keep to a dull roar.

Oh, and at the thrift I found an immersion blender for $3! I had just shopped for one for smoothies. BF, who loves a power tool, had to test the new toy. He made us each a strawberry/banana daquiri (which could account for my lateness on the soup). How's that for fiber in my diet?

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler