Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Gardenlad's cheddar bread

Posted by opkikid (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 8, 07 at 10:53

If I recall correctly, Gardenlad posted a cheddar quick bread not too long ago. I would like to try it, if anyone has the recipe. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Gardenlad's cheddar bread

Wasn't a quick bread, Opkikid, but a risen yeast bread. Here's the recipe:

Cheddar Sage Bread

1/2 tsp dry mustard
3 tbls fresh sage, minced
3-3 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp coarse black pepper
1 cup milk
3 oz shredded sharp cheddar
1 pkg active dry yeast
1 tbls sugar
1 tbls oil
1 egg
2 tbls butter

Dissolve mustard in 1 tsp warm water. Combine 3 cups flour with salt, pepper and sage. Warm the milk.

In a large mixing bowl combine the milk, yeast, sugar and oil. Stir or process to combine. Add egg and mix well. Add mustard and flour mixtures, adding flour as necessary so mixture forms a stiff dough and comes together in a ball. Incorporate cheese into dough.

Turn dough out onto floured work survace and knead until smooth and elastic, adding more flour as necessary, about 10 minutes.

Put dough in lightly oiled bowl and turn to coat top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about an hour. PLunch down, shape in a loaf, and put in buttered loaf pan. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled, another hour.

Heat oven to 375. Melt butter. Brush loaf with melted butter and bake until loaf is golden brown, rebuttering once or twice if needed, about 50 minutes. Cool on a rack.

o

This is such a good recipe - one of my favorites!

Cindy

o

Hi all --

I have to post a link to the most fabulous quick cheddar cheese beer bread -- it is so so so beyond delicious, and is on one of my favorite food blogs, Farmgirl Fare. Here's the link --

http://foodiefarmgirl.blogspot.com/2005/11/beyond-easy-beer-bread.html

Enjoy!
Emily

o

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here