Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Souffle Potatoes

Posted by lisbet (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 24, 06 at 10:15

Souffle Potatoes: Yield 10 servings

2-1/2 pound Idaho Potatoes
oil or frying fat, as needed

1. Slice potatoes 1/8-inch thick and dry them thoroughly on absorbent toweling.
2. Heat the oil or fat in a deep-fat fryer or rondeau to 300 degrees F.
3. Add the potato slices in small batches. Shake the baskets or pot carefully to prevent the potatoes from sticking. When the slices blister, remove and drain them in a single layer on toweling.
4. Heat the oil or fat to 375 degrees F. Add the blanched potato slices. Fry them until they are puffed and golden. Drain them well and serve immediately.

(My Dad was a chef and he used to occasionally make these.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Souffle Potatoes

This is Deja vu all over again. I think it's a sign I need to make these. Check the post from Caliloo a day or so ago. These must be some great potatoes. Thanks for the prod to try my hand at these spuds.

Here is a link that might be useful: Caliloo's Papas Fritas

o

OMG LOLOLOL!

I haven;t thought about these in 15 years and here they are twice in a few days!

Ginger - this is definitely a sign from the food gods that they *need* to be made!

Alexa

o

This is why I love these forums! All somebody has to do is whisper about a tasty recipe and it is suddenly "divine intervention" and about 100 people will be making this dish over the weekend and posting about it, LOL LOL! The power of suggestion is never stronger than here on Garden Web!

o

So Woodie, you're saying Caliloo was being suggestive, huh? ;)

o

I was listening to Melinda Lee this morning (cooking show in LA area) and she mentioned these. She read that the potatoes used should be older potatoes, not too hard, with just a wrinkling beginning on the skin. Just passing this along.

o

Thank you....every little bit of info. helps ! :-)

o

I LOVE Melinda Lee! Yep, these are just cryin' to be made!

Tikanas

o

I first tried these potatoes in Argentina. Later I had them in southern Spain at the hotel I worked. Someone told me these potatoes were invented in a train in France. The cook ran out of gas while frying potatoes. After he changed the gas canister and reheated the oil, the potatoes puffed up, so they were "discovered" by fate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here