Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pink_warm_mama_1_gw

RECIPE: What use do you find for.....

pink_warm_mama_1
16 years ago

.....your leftover mashed potatoes? I always make extra as they can be warmed in the microwave, but would like some of your great ideas. Thanks.

Comments (11)

• ruthanna_gw
    16 years ago

My daughter used to like what we called Egg Nests for breakfast whenever we had leftover mashed potatoes. I'd mix them with some chopped or ground ham and put a blob of them in a greased custard cup. Then I'd shape the potatoes into a lining about 1/2 inch thick on the bottom and sides of the cup. I'd break an egg into the center, put salt, pepper and about a 1/2 tsp. of butter on the egg, and bake at 375 until the egg was done.

• tom_k_mo
    16 years ago

You could always use them in making a Shepards Pie. My mother also made a fried potato pancake with leftover mashed potatoes. She'd add an egg (or 2) to the potatoes and mix well. She then formed them into pancakes about 2" in diameter. She'd flour them on each side and then fry them in a skillet with a touch of vegetable oil.

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Chopped up onion or green onion mixed in with the potatoes along with some shredded cheese & an egg & form into patties & fry.

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Oh, and Ruthanna you're welcome for the Whittard's tea I sent you last July.

• cookingrvc
    16 years ago

We made potato pie with the leftovers. One or two eggs (depending on the volume of mashed potatoes), some mozzarella (a cup more or less) and lots of grated pecorino romano cheese. Spray a baking dish, add the mixture, and bake for 45 minutes.

Let sit for 5-10 minutes. Yum
    sue

• shirleywny5
    16 years ago

My favorite use for left overs is in any soup that calls for potatoes. Cream of leek and cauliflower are examples. Also, fried potato patties.

• Vique_Pa
    16 years ago

I fix them the way ginger_st_thomas does. Vique.

John 3:16

• annova914
    16 years ago

I put them in a greased pie plate, top with parmesan cheese and dot with butter and heat in the oven. It puffs up and is delicious. If the leftovers are a bit dry you can stir in a little half and half or milk before adding to pie plate (or casserole dish). Ann

• BeverlyAL
    16 years ago

I make lots of mashed potatoes so there will be plenty leftovers. I may reheat them one time as is, or I may fry some bologna slices, place a scoop of leftover mashed potatoes on each, top with cheddar and place under a broiler until cheese melts and serve.

I really like potatoes patties even better than mashed potatoes. I just add a beaten egg, finely chopped onion and sometimes a little flour and fry in shallow oil until golden brown.

• Larkie Martin
    16 years ago

I also make the bologna slices, but I add a slice of tomato, the potatoes and cheese and broil.. Also deep fried potato fritters are good..Just add an egg, minced onion, salt, pepper, & grated cheese. Drop into hot oil and deep fry til golden brown.

Larkie

• pamd96
    16 years ago

I have never cared for warmed over mashed potatoes, but my family and I love them for potato pancakes like beverlyal. Also, I use for potato salad. My family likes 'creamy' potato salad best.