Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christineny_gw

LOOKING for: Chicken Salad

christineny
18 years ago

I am so tired of my chicken salad. I've made it the same way for years. I usually mince my chicken, cut up some celery and season with salt and pepper. I then add enough Hellman's mayo to bind it. It is very good, but I would like something new to try. Anyone??

Comments (23)

• woodie
    18 years ago

Winter Chicken Salad

Mix together:
    4 cups chopped chicken
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1 teaspoon Paprika
    1 1/2 cups dried cranberries
    1 cup sliced or diced celery
    2 green onions, sliced
    1 cup toasted, chopped pecans
    1 teaspoon seasoned salt (optional)

Summer Chicken Salad

Mix together:
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon fresh grated lemon zest
    2 cups chopped chicken
    1 cup seedless grape halves (red or green)
    1/2 cup chopped red onion

• christineny
    Original Author
    18 years ago

YUM!!!!!!!!! This is exactly what I was looking for!! Many thanks!!!!!

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

To your basic chicken salad, add a couple tsp or a TBL of Durkee's sandwich spread to the mayo before mixing it in. That's the secret to the wonderful chicken salad at the Women's Exchange in St. Louis. Here's more:

CHICKEN SALAD FIT FOR THE QUEEN (serves 6)
    Served to Queen Elizabeth at the U.of Virginia in 1976

Curry Salad Dressing:
    3/4 cup mayonnaise
    2 tsp lemon juice
    2 tsp soy sauce
    1 tsp curry powder

Salad:
    2 cups cooked chicken cubes
    1/4 cup sliced water chestnuts
    8 oz seedless green grapes, cut in halves
    8 oz can pineapple chunks, drained
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds

For the dressing, combine all dressing ingredients in a bowl & mix well.
    For the salad, combine the chicken, water chestnuts, grapes, pineapple, celery & almonds in a large bowl. Add the dressing & toss to mix well. Chill several hours.~~ Oh My Stars

CHOP SUEY SALAD (serves 4-6)
    2 TBL vegetable oil
    1 tsp lemon juice
    2 TBL soy sauce
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    1 cup sliced pitted ripe olives
    1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
    2 cup shredded cabbage
    2 cups chopped lettuce
    1 cup bean sprouts
    1 cup sliced water chestnuts
    6 chicken breast halves, cooked & slivered
    3/4 cup celery, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1 lb bacon, cooked & crumbled

Combine oil, lemon juice, soy sauce & mayo in a blender until well mixed. Refrigerate. Combine remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Pour dressing over & mix to coat evenly. Sprinkle bacon over the top before serving.~~ Fare to Remember

• wizardnm
    18 years ago

ROASTED CHICKEN SALAD

Preheat oven to 400°

Coat a rimmed baking pan with cooking spray.

Place chicken breasts skin side up, spray with a little cooking spray and sprinkle with kosher salt. If using skinless, boneless breasts (I prefer skin-on, more flavor) you should still spray and salt.

Roast to 160° internal temp., about 45-55 min, depending on size. Remove from oven, drain grease and cool.

When cool enough to handle, remove skin and bones, cut into cubes about ½ inch in size. Mine are pretty irregular.
    Refridgerate until well chilled.

Version #1 DRIED CHERRY AND PECAN

4 C cut up chicken breast meat
    2 C celery, sliced thin or coarsely chopped (I do mine in a food processor)
    1 C dried red cherries
    1 C coarsely chopped toasted pecans

Toss together in a large bowl. Add dressing to desired consistancy. Better a little wet rather than dry, as chicken will absorb dressing as it sits.

Dressing:

1½ C mayo (Hellman's preferred)
    ¼ C Kikkoman's soy sauce
    1 tsp powdered ginger
    1 tsp celery seed
    1 tsp grd pepper

Combine to use in dried cherry salad.

Version #2 HERB CHICKEN SALAD

4 C chopped chicken breasts
    6 green onions
    1 C loosely packed flat leaf (Italian) parsley
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp black ground pepper
    1-2 C mayo

Place chicken in a large bowl. Chop green onion and parsley very fine or pulse in food processor, add to chicken and toss. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir in mayo to desired consistancy. Add more salt and pepper if needed.

Nancy

• sharon_fl
    18 years ago

Here's my favorite-I have given you the 'stuffed tomato' way. When I have time-I like to do my chicken on the charcoal grill then cut up for the salad! To die for!

Garden Tomato stuffed with
    Lemon Chicken Salad
    1/2 cup mayonnaise
    2 Tblsp. chopped fresh basil or 2 tsp.dried
    1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
    2 tsp. grated lemon zest
    2 cups chopped cooked chicken
    1 cup halved red seedless grapes
    1/2 cup cooked frozen peas
    1/2 cup thinly sliced chopped red onion
    2 hard boiled eggs-chopped-not diced
    Curly Lettuce leaves
    1 medium red tomato per person
    SALT & PEPPER (highly season!)
    ** Get tomatoes cut up & place on try, wrap tightly until 20 min. before serving.
    Cut tomato 2/3 of the way down from top to bottom-cut crossways, then the opposite way, then another cut in between each quarter-making 8 wedges-still hooked at the bottom of tomato.
    ** NOTE: the salt & pepper is what really makes this salad-don't be afraid to season WELL!
    ** Only cook peas until JUST barely done-drain & place in cold water-to stop cooking & keep bright green!!
    In a large bowl, combine mayonnaise, basil, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Add chicken and next 4 ingredients; toss gently. Chill and serve by placing the tomatoe on a lettuce leaf-take hands & spread tomato apart to make a flower. Heap salad in the tomatoe-sprinkle with paprika, lightly & garnish with fresh parsley & a lemon twist. 4 servings
    If having 12 people-triple the recipe.

• sburkhart
    18 years ago

I have a recipe that I love.
    But thought I'd like to see yours?
    any takers?

• sburkhart
    18 years ago

sorry for the mistake above.
    I started a new thread

• roselin32
    18 years ago

There is a tea room here that serves mayo based chicken salad that has fresh garlic in it. It is just excellent but it is one of their signature recipes so they won't give it out.

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

Fresh garlic in chicken salad? Go frequently & get really chummy with the waitress who always serves you. That's how I found out about the Durkee's.

• woodie
    18 years ago

Ginger, you're right about getting chummy with someone in the restaurant when you want a recipe that they won't divulge! It's how I got a great salad dressing recipe - but I have now lost it - it must be a curse from the old Italian grandmother who they said their secret recipe came from, LOL.

• roselin32
    18 years ago

Funny, Woodie! A curse I don't need.
    Will have to try that, Ginger.

• ginger_st_thomas
    18 years ago

So, Woodie why not make your DH take you several times back to the same restaurant & you can try again? LOL

I'm currently trying to get the recipe for some sauce they serve in my favorite diner-type place here on their breakfast burritos. I keep ordering it & trying to figure it out & the waitresses are not real chatty.

• woodie
    18 years ago

Ginger, actually I will be going to that restaurant next week! Ken is in Florida and I'm joining him on Sunday for a week (finally able to swing things with people to help out my folks) and that's where the restaurant is. Ken has been there twice in the last 3 weeks, and says he thinks the salad dressing is the same!

• aquablue1431
    18 years ago

A local tea room uses this recipe...it was my mom's...

Moms Chicken Salad

2 Cups Chicken Breast, cooked and cubed (2-3 chicken breasts)
    1 cup Pineapple Tidbits/Chunks (reserve juice from can for dressing)
    1/2 cup Walnuts/Pecans, chopped (optional  can sub minced celery for the crunch)
    1/2 cup green grapes, halved
    1/2 cup red grapes, halved

Toss the above ingredients together.

Dressing
    1/2 cup HellmannÂs Mayonnaise
    1/4 cup sugar
    2-3 TBS Pineapple Juice

Stir together and then mix with chicken/fruit mixture.

It will thicken a little after it has been refrigerated.

Serve on a bed of lettuce or on croissants...heart shaped puff pastry shells and put a big scoop of chicken salad in it...chocolate dipped strawberries on the sideÂ

• BeverlyAL
    18 years ago

Tearoom Chicken Salad

This Tearoom Chicken Salad recipe comes from the "Where Memories Linger" Tearoom in Arab, AL. The recipe has a twist with the usual chicken salad sandwich recipes using pimentos, sour cream and fresh ginger.

INGREDIENTS:
    6 chicken breasts
    1/2 C. celery, chopped
    1-8 oz. container sour cream
    1 to 2 C. mayonnaise
    2 small jars pimentos, chopped
    2 to 3 T. fresh ground ginger
    Salt & pepper to taste
    PREPARATION:
    Cook chicken breasts in boiling water until done. Do not boil on high. Shred chicken. Mix sour cream and mayonnaise together and add to chicken. Add remaining ingredients and chill. Serve on a bed of lettuc.

• BeverlyAL
    18 years ago

Here's one I have used quiet a bit. You may also use Soy sauce in place of the worcestershire.

Curried Chicken Salad

4 cups cooked chicken, cubed
    1 1-pound 4-oz can water chestnuts, drained and sliced
    1 pound seedless white grapes, halved
    1 cup sliced celery
    1/4 cup sliced and toasted almonds
    1 cup mayonnaise
    1 or 2 tablespoons curry powder, to taste
    1 tablespoon worcestershire
    Juice of 1 lemon or less, to taste

Mix mayonnaise, curry powder, worcestershire and lemon juice.
    Toss chicken, water chestnuts, grapes, celery and almonds together. Add mayonnaise mixture and blend well. Chill several hours and serve on a bed of lettuce.

• ruthanna_gw
    18 years ago

These are look so good. I cooked some chicken breasts last night and am going to start at the top with the Winter chicken salad.

Sue, there's a church in our neighborhood whose specialty is a chicken salad that looks a lot like your recipe. They serve it for lunch for their Holiday festival in November and I go to their craft fair just to have it for lunch.

• brenda55
    18 years ago

This is a recipe the Texas Club in Dallas served back in the early 90's and it was great:

1 lb. cooked white chicken meat, diced
    1/2 c. low-fat sour cream
    1/2 c. non-fat yogurt
    1/2 c. light mayonnaise
    1-1/2 cups seedless grapes (red, green or mixture)
    1 c. diced celery
    1/2 c. roasted pecans
    2 T. poppyseeds
    coarse black pepper and salt to taste

Combine sour cream,yogurt and mayonaise. Add remaining ingredients, salt and pepper to taste. Serves 4.

• isles3
    18 years ago

All those recipes sound great, I can't wait to try them. Here is my favorite for special occasions:

Chicken Salad Supreme

from Thoughts For Festive Food
    by Hillary Wills

serves 12

4 C chicken, cooked, cubed
    4 Tbls green olives, chopped
    1 1/2 C Celery, chopped
    1 C Almonds, chopped
    1/4 C mixed sweet pickles, chopped
    4 hard boiled eggs, sliced
    1 1/2 C Mayonnaise
    tomato slices
    1/4 C black olives chopped

Tomato French dressing

1 tsp salt
    1 tsp dry mustard
    1 tsp paprika
    1 can condensed tomato soup
    1 C vinegar
    1 tbls worcestershire
    1 C oil
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 small onion, crushed
    1 tbls sugar

salad:
    combine chicken, olive, celery, almonds, pickles, eggs and mayonnaise. Toss lightly and chill.
    serve on leaf lettuce. Garnish with tomato wedges, ripe olives and watercress. (Ive never used
    the watercress)
    Tomato French dressing may be sprinkled over or served separately. May be divided exactly
    in half to serve 6.

Dressing:
    combine ingredients in a bottle or jar, cover and shake thoroughly. Makes 1 quart
    keeps very well, an old reliable standby.

• Violet_Z6
    17 years ago

Fabulous recipes! Thanks for sharing! If anyone has any more that they've tried and like, please post!

• Cherryhairdo
    17 years ago

This version is delecious, and not nealy as heavy of calories. Try making this fennel rub. I now use it for everything.

Chicken Salad with Fennel Spice Recipe courtesy Michael Chiarello (a no Mayo chicken salad)

Yield: 4 servings

Boiled chicken:
    1 chicken, about 3 1/2 pounds
    3 tablespoons Fennel Spice Rub, recipe follows, plus 1 1/2 teaspoons
    6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 6 tablespoons
    1 large celery rib, halved
    1 large carrot, halved
    1 large yellow onion, quartered
    2 bay leaves
    1/4 cup thinly sliced celery heart
    1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
    2 to 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    Sea salt, preferably gray, and freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves

Lay out the chicken, spreading out the parts as much as possible. Cover generously with 3 tablespoons of the fennel spice, rubbing it into the skin. Place a large pot over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, add 6 tablespoons of the oil and heat to almost smoking. Add the chicken and brown on all sides, about 5 to 6 minutes per side. Add the celery, carrot, onion and bay leaves and sauté for a few minutes. Add 4 cups of water to the pot, or enough to cover the chicken. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook just until the chicken is almost fully cooked, about 40 minutes. Turn off the heat and cover and let cool. When pan has cooled, place in the fridge overnight.
    Lift out the cooled chicken and strain the stock, discarding the solids. Refrigerate or freeze the chicken stock for another use.

Remove the skin and bones from the chicken. Shred the meat by hand into rough bite-size pieces.

In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken, celery heart, red onion, 6 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons Fennel Spice Rub, and salt and pepper, to taste. Add more oil, lemon juice, or Fennel Spice Rub, if desired. Add the basil and serve.

Fennel Spice Rub:
    1 cup fennel seeds
    3 tablespoons coriander seeds
    2 tablespoons white peppercorns
    3 tablespoons kosher salt

Put the fennel seeds, coriander seeds, and peppercorns in a heavy pan over medium heat. Watch carefully, tossing frequently so the seeds toast evenly. When light brown and fragrant, pour the seeds onto a plate to cool. They must be cool before grinding, or they will gum up the blades.
    Pour the seeds into a blender and add the salt. Blend to a fine powder, shaking the blender occasionally to redistribute the seeds. Store in a tightly sealed glass jar in a cool, dry place, or freeze.
    Yield: about 1 1/4 cups

• dunbarle_oge_com
    13 years ago

I am looking for a chicken salad recipe that uses Hellman's Mayo, sugar, hard boiled eggs, celery, slivered almonds, green onions and red grapes.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022