Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunita_gw

RECIPE: Substitute for corn syrup please?

sunita
17 years ago

Could you tell me if you know of any substitute for corn syrup? I've got loads of recipes that call for light corn syrup but it just isnt available here. Would a thick sugar syrup do, or maybe, honey?

Comments (10)

• lindac
    17 years ago

Depends on what you are making.
    Can you get something called "golden syrup"?
    That would work.
    Linda C

• dances_in_garden
    17 years ago

I agree with golden syrup as a substitute. Or cane syrup. These will yield a darker product and the flavour might be more caramelized. Having said that, I use regular corn syrup in all recipes that call for "white" corn syrup all the time. I am not sure about honey, as the flavour might be too strong depending on what you are making.

I found this on a website called cooks dot com (with, you know, a real dot LOL). I have never tried it.

LIGHT CORN SYRUP SUBSTITUTE

2 c. white sugar
    3/4 c. water
    1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
    Dash of salt

Combine all ingredients in a heavy, large pan. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and put cover on it for 3 minutes to get sugar crystals off the sides of the pan. Uncover and cook until it reaches soft ball stage. Stir often.
    Cool syrup and store in a covered container at room temperature. It will keep for about 2 months. Makes almost 2 cups.

• sunita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I've never seen cane syrup in any of the stores here in India. Or maybe its available under some other name. Golden syrup does sound vaguely familiar . I'll check for it in the stores again.
    I asked about corn syrup because I keep seeing it in the list of ingredients in many interesting-looking recipes. All enquiries for it at the stores here have just drawn bewildered looks though.
    Thanks for the suggestions, Linda and Dancesingarden (what an intriguing name!)

• ginger_st_thomas
    17 years ago

The brand name here is Karo & it comes either light or dark. Don't know that it's available where you are though.

• canarybird01
    17 years ago

I've never found corn syrup here in Spain either. Yes I remember Karo corn syrup....years ago it used to be added to a baby's bottle formula, but I don't know if that is still done.
    There's no pancake syrup here either, but real Canadian maple syrup is available in a few import shops in tiny containers.

The few times I've made pancakes here I've topped them with

a bit of liquid honey or butter and jam.
    But finding a substitute for corn syrup in a recipe has always been a problem.

SharonCb

• danab_z9_la
    17 years ago

It depends on what you are making...........

Corn syrup (a glucose/levulose sugar) is used in baking both as a sweetner and as an additive that prevents regular sugar (sucrose) from forming crystals. Corn syrup is often added to keep such products as pralines, fudge, icings, etc. from getting grainy due to sugar re-crystalization.

You can substitute Marshmallows or better yet Marshmallow cream for corn syrup in most baking applications.

For other recipes where sugar recrystalization isn't an issue you can subsitute honey, golden syrup, or molasses measure for measure.

Dan

• sunita
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the brand name, Ginger. I'll ask for it at a couple of shops catering to the various consulates and expats. By the way, what would you use dark corn syrup for?
    Maple syrup? Not available here either. Neither is marshmallow cream,I'm afraid.
    Looks like I'll have to try out golden syrup or dances_in_garden's recipe.
    Thanks for the explanation, Dan. It gave me a real "aaah! so thats why..." moment : )

• bigbellyo_optonline_net
    12 years ago

I tried all of the ways of substituting and all my lemon ices turned out bitter

• Pyewacket
    12 years ago

The vast majority of sugar in India is cane sugar. I'm surprised some sort of syrup isn't made from it. I remember they used to have vendors on the roadside with crushers, you ran a stalk of cane sugar through the crusher and it would squeeze out a sweet drink.

I don't know why you would put salt and cream of tartar in that syrup, but if you'd like, here's a different recipe for a corn syrup substitute. It's very simple, just 1 1/4 cups sugar and 1/3 cup water, boiled together until syrupy.

The thing about corn syrup is it doesn't crystallize, hence it's used in a lot of things like fudge recipes and icing/frosting.

• Giia
    12 years ago

I always sub maple syrup because we make it and have more to use than sugars.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm