Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: White Stew recipe

Posted by deniselie (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 13, 09 at 4:10

Has anyone ever heard or tasted a creamy white beef stew? I had it once and it was wonderful. My friend, who brought it to me after a surgery said she would share and then moved without sharing her delicious recipe. It didn't have much in it other than the beef and onions and this delicious rich white sauce.

Can anyone out there help me?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: White Stew recipe

Could you be thinking of beef stroganoff?
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: stroganoff

o

Linda, thank you for the link and for the thought that it was stroganoff. I asked her before tasting it what it was and she said 'white stew' I know it didn't have any sour cream in it or mushrooms. It was stew meat that she used, and perhaps it was just a simple white sauce with cooked stew meat? Not sure. If there isn't a real recipe out there for 'white stew', then that's probably what it is.

Thanks for the thought. Looking at the recipe made me want to make some stroganoff soon, though!

o

Blanquette de Veau is a classic "white beef stew" made, of course, with veal but I suppose any beef will do (less "white", though).

It's butter, onion, white mushrooms, white wine, white pepper, egg, whipping cream and flour. Sometimes a touch of lemon and parsley.

Many versions but basically the above.

One of my favorite dishes.

Need a recipe?

Joe

o

Thank you Joe. I would love for you to include a recipe. It sounds like what I must have had--and it was delicious. It came from a newly married 'country girl' so she may not have even known what it was she made!

o

Check the first 2 recipes below.

Here is a link that might be useful: White stew

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here