Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Asparagus Cream Soup

Posted by dancinglemons (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 15, 10 at 2:52

Could not bear to keep throwing out the asparagus parts that are hard and woody.

When you snap your asparagus to cook them SAVE those woody ends. When you have about 3-4 cups you are ready.

3-4 cups asparagus woody ends
2 cups water
Salt as desired
1/2 cup heavy cream
2-3 TBSP butter
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper (after cooking complete)

Simmer the woody ends of asparagus in the water for about an hour until very, very tender

Pour the water and asparagus into a blender and blend until liquified add black pepper, heavy cream and butter - salt if desired and pulse the blender to incorporate.

Serve with a dolop of creme fraiche or sour cream.

When I did not have enough asparagus I have used carrots and asparagus together.

DL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Asparagus Cream Soup

You can never go wrong with Asparagus Cream soup. I have some asparagus in the fridge that I bought yesterday and never cooked it so it is now destined for soup tonight.

My recipe is a little different from yours. I make a roux with butter and flour, seasoned with a little fresh garlic, salt and pepper and I use chicken broth for the liquid. The asparagus is added and simmered for about 20 minutes or so until tender. I use a stick blender to puree and then add a cup of heavy cream and serve. If I'm being fancy I'll cook the tips separately and add just before serving along with a dollop of whipped cream.

Ann

o

ann t,

I am going to try your recipe with the roux. Just got a bunch of asparagus today. Only thing is my stick blender doesn't always get the woody ends smooth but if I have really young asparagus the stick blender works great!! (Saves washing that blender jar and blade too!)

DL

o

Good ideas, have to try it with hard ends of broccoli too.
Thanks.

o

graanieb,

Great suggestion. I will be trying the broccoli variation soon.

DL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here