Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
disneyginger

LOOKING for: Oh my Lord.. Please let someone see this in time!!

disneyginger
16 years ago

I cannot find my Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe.

It is one of the old fashioned been around forever recipes.

Brown sugar, cinnamon.. some other spices.. ginger? allspice? nutmeg? I can't remember which combo!

It has butter, cream I think, and I'm not sure.

It is a mashed sweet potato mix that is put in a buttered casserole, baked with mini-marshmallows on top and my family loves it. It is traditional!

Oh mother mercy! How could I loose the recipe!!!!

Anyone know this one?

HELP!

Thanks

Oh wait.. I think I just remembered something.. it might have evaporated milk in it, and not cream.. not sure. Oh, and I am almost certain it had eggs too! But, not totally certain.

Thanks again

Comments (4)

• mamatoad
    16 years ago

holiday sweet potato casserole with marshmallow topping, or top with grated orange zest. Scroll down to see more sweet potato recipes.
    INGREDIENTS:
    6 large sweet potatoes, baked, peeled, and mashed
    3 eggs
    1 1/4 cup milk
    1/4 cup good bourbon
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon allspice
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    mini-marshmallows
    PREPARATION:
    Mix all ingredients well; beat well, until light and fluffy. If needed add a little more milk. Spoon sweet potato mixture into a buttered casserole dish; bake at 350° until set, about 20 to 30 minutes.

Garnish with marshmallows and bake until marshmallows melt and just begin to brown. If desired garnish with finely grated orange zest instead of marshmallows, and skip the final baking time.
    Serves 8.

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

This is from oneforthetable.com:

MamaÂs Famous Sweet Potato Casserole

Bake 8 large sweet potatoes in the oven for one hour at 350 degrees. Be sure to lather the skins in olive oil before baking so the skins will slip right off. Let the potatoes cool then peel the skins and mash the potatoes in a big bowl.

In a separate bowl, mix 2 cups of sugar, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 1 teaspoon of nutmeg, 1 teaspoon of vanilla, 2 cups of evaporated milk and 3 eggs. Add 1 cup of melted butter. Mix all the ingredients with a mixer until you have a smooth liquid texture.

Pour the liquid mix over the mashed potatoes. Add raisins as desired. Stir.

Pour your masterpiece into a buttered casserole dish and bake at 375 degrees for 50 minutes or until itÂs firm in the middle. Remove from oven. Add an entire bag of miniature marshmallows on top of the casserole. Put the casserole back in the oven to brown the marshmallows. Be very careful not to burn the marshmallows. Remove form oven and enjoy immediately.

Note: If you are taking this dish to someoneÂs house do not do the marshmallows at home. Instead, add them at the last minute and brown them in their oven right before serving.

• ginger_st_thomas
    16 years ago

Here's another. You could easily omit the pecans if that wasn't in the original but this one has brown sugar.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Potato Casserole

• disneyginger
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mammatoad, I used your recipe, as it was the only one posted by the time I had to stick it in the oven and have it ready for dinner.

I substituted the bourbon with brandy as I didn't have any bourbon in the house.

And, I used half white sugar and half brown sugar, since I know the original recipe I had used all brown sugar.

The recipe was slightly different in texture and taste, but it was sure fire success and everyone loved it!

Thanks everyone.

You saved my day!

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions