Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970892

RECIPE: Passover cake that everyone will love

littleonefb
15 years ago

I've made this cake twice now in the past 3 days. Wanted to test it out for Passover, but forget the idea that it is just for Passover, everyone who loves chocolate will love this one.

If it past my best friends chocolate taste buds, and she's the biggest chocoholic known to man, but also very fussy with her chocolate, it will pass anyones taste test.

Tastes perfect still slightly warm from the oven and tastes perfect cold and a couple of days old, and tastes perfect with a couple of seconds in the microwave to just slightly warm it up

Not the best with the pics, but here's a look

Hubby cut a piece faster than I could grab the camera

But I got the camera faster than he could get the fork to his mouth

From Better Homes and Gardens March 2009.

TOO GOOD TO BE CALLED PASSOVER CAKE

Makes 16 servings

INGREDIENTS

8 ounces coarsely chopped unsweetened chocolate

4 ounces coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate

1 1/3 cups sugar

1/2 cup water

1 cup unsalted Kosher for Passover margarine or unsalted butter or plain unsalted margarine

5 eggs

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch round cake pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper and butter the paper.

In food processor combine chopped chocolates. Process until finely chopped.

In saucepan bring sugar and 1/2 cup water to boil. Stir to dissolve sugar.

With food processor running, add boiling sugar syrup to chocolate through feed tube. Add margarine, 2 tablespoons at a time. Add eggs. Process only until smooth.

pour chocolate mixture into prepared pan. Place cake pan inside roasting pan. Pour enough hot water in roasting pan to reach half way up sides of pan.

Place roasting pan on rack in center of oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes until knife inserted in center comes out with just a few specks of chocolate clinging to the tip of the knife and cake begins to pull away from edges of pan.

Transfer cake pan to a wire rack. Cool for 10 minutes.

Using a small sharp knife loosen cake from pan sides. Cover cake surface with plastic wrap and invert onto baking sheet. lift off pan, remove parchment. Invert a cake plate over cake, turn plate and baking sheet so that cake is right side up. Remove plastic wrap.

Serve warm or cold.

SOME CHANGES I MADE

I don't have a food processor, so I chopped the chocolate as fine as I could by using a chefs knife and slicing thin slices off the chocolate.

I used mazola stick unsalted margarine

After bringing the sugar and water to a full boil, I turned off the burner. Then added the chocolate, one kind at a time and stirred till melted with a wooden spoon. Then just added one stick of margarine sliced at a time until melted. Then added eggs stirring well. Then I used a metal wisk to stir and be sure all was melted well and mixture was smooth.

The proceeded with the directions for baking.

My roasting pan that would fit the 9 inch cake pan was oval and fairly deep, 4 inches. I'm not sure if the depth of the roasting pan would make the cake take longer to cook, BUT, I found that the cake took about 45-50 mintues to cook instead of 25-30 minutes that the directions stated.

Hope you enjoy this.

Fran