Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Baked Fennel with Prosciutto

Posted by annova914 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 21, 10 at 23:49

I just tried this for the first time today and we loved it. Cooked fennel is so delicious! My fennel probably weighed 1-1/2 lbs so I used a 10" round casserole dish. I bought a 4 oz package of prosciutto (already thinly sliced and so thin they have to be separated by paper) and used half of it. Next time I make this I'll cut back on the butter as 1/3 cup is too much (I think). I made it ahead of time and when it came out of the oven we couldn't stop "testing" it. This is easy to make (probably can be made several hours in advance and then popped into the oven). Ann

Baked Fennel with Prosciutto

2-1/2 lbs fresh fennel, trimmed & cut into wedges
3 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
1/3 cup melted butter
1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large pot. Drop in the fennel wedges, and cook them at a gentle boil for 10 to 15 minutes, just until you can pierce them easily with a sharp knife tip. Lift out the wedges and drain well.
Cut the prosciutto slices crosswise into strips, about 1/4" wide. Set a rack in the middle of the oven; preheat to 350 degrees.
Coat the bottom of a 9 x 13" baking dish with a tablespoon or two of the melted butter. Lay the fennel wedges in one layer, filling the dish, and scatter the prosciutto strips over and in between the wedges. Add salt and pepper. Drizzle the remaining butter all over. Finally, sprinkle over it the grated cheese, covering the whole dish evenly.
Bake the dish for 25 minutes, or until the top is crusty and golden and the edges of the prosciutto and fennel are also colored and crisp. Serves 6.

source: Lydia Bastianich

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Baked Fennel with Prosciutto

Saved and filed and am printing a copy out right now, can't wait to try this one! Thanks, Ann.

o

Same here, thank you Ann for the great recipe.

Plan on planting Florence Fennel asap, gotten seeds in a trade.

You're right, it can be fine with less butter ( may be 1-2 T unsalted butter and 1-2 T olive oil?) also no salt necessary with prosciutto and parmesan ( which I'll use about 1/2 c).

Wondering about adding some shredded mozzarella or provolone?

thanks again,
Bea

o

I'm thinking that the next time I make this dish I'll use shredded gruyere instead of the parmesan...less salty and I just love gruyere. Last night I heated the very small leftover and we divided it "even-steven" :)...it was soooo good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here