Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bjclark_gw

LOOKING for: German Farmers Potatoes Recipe

bjclark
15 years ago

When I recently made German Coleslaw it reminded my brother-in-law of a meal he had in German, consisting of Jaegerschnitzel (Hunter's Schnitzel) German Coleslaw and a potato side he said was called Farmer's Potatoes, which he said where the best potatoes he ever had. I am trying to recreate this meal for him at his request. I've got recipes for everything but the potatoes which I can't find any reference to under the name he gave.

Does anyone know of and have a recipe (in English) for a German dish called Farmer's Potatoes?

Comments (9)

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

You'll be looking for Bauern Kartoffeln (or Bauernkartoffeln).

I'll see if I can find a recipe for you in English.

SharonCb

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

This looks like one version of it. You can just leave out the herring and pickles if you prefer.

If I see some more in my German cookbooks I'll get back to you.

SharonCb

• canarybird01
    15 years ago

Actually you can find it yourself in English if you search for 'German Farmer's Breakfast'.
    Seems there are many variations on this potato dish and they all sound good.

Here's an example.

(Bauer = Farmer)

SharonCb

• lindac
    15 years ago

I wonder if what he had was rosti potatoes?
    Linda C

• lisbet
    15 years ago

You can't get much more German than with Walter Staib. He was once also a White House chef.

Black Forest Home Fries Serves 4
    from Black Forest Cuisine by Walter Staib with Jennifer Lindner McGlinn

2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled
    salt
    1 pound bacon, cut into strips about 2-inches long and 1/8-inch wide
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
    1 medium yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
    ½ teaspoon dried marjoram
    freshly ground black pepper

1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan, pour in water just to cover, and season lightly with salt. Bring to a boil and cook the potatoes until they are just tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Drain the potatoes, cool slightly, and cut into slices about 1/4-inch thick.
    2. Heat a large cast iron skillet or heavy-bottomed sauté pan over medium-high heat, add the bacon, and sauté until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, reserving about 3 tablespoons of rendered fat in the pan.
    3. Heat the reserved fat over medium heat, add the garlic and onion, and sauté until golden brown. (If you wish to add meat to the dish, toss it in at this point.)
    4. Toss in the bacon, potatoes, and marjoram and season with salt and pepper. Cook the home fries, stirring frequently, until well browned and the potatoes come together to form one big cake.
    5. Serve the home fries on a large platter.
    Variation: Make this a full meal by adding eggs. After browning the potatoes, fold about 8 to 10 lightly beaten eggs into the home fries and place in a 350 degree F oven until the eggs are just cooked, about 5 minutes.

Here is a link that might be useful: German Home Fries

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Easy! Boil your favorite potatoes, peel and slice. Render some bacon, remove the bacon but leave the fat. Add the sliced potaotes to the grease and sautee until they are brown and a bit crispy on the edges. Add bacon bits back in, salt and pepper and serve. If you like add soem chopped onoin to the cooking potatoes. You can also use leftover baked potatoes too.

Rosti are a Swiss potato pancake, similar to a giant latke.

• roselin32
    15 years ago

We always have a bauern omelet the next morning after having raclette for dinner the night before.....we have minced peppers, green onions, mushrooms, ham, hard salami, pepperoni, potatoes and bacon bits........all sauteed in a bit of butter or oil, add leftover grated cheese, and mix with beaten eggs, scrambled until cooked through. Our son thinks this is even better than the raclette.RL`

• flowergirl70ks
    15 years ago

Roselin-could you tell how to make raclette?

• roselin32
    15 years ago

Flowergirl, I have a raclette cooker with the little pans and dice up ham,pepperoni, hard salami,mushrooms, onions,and peppers. Put some of whatever I like in one of the little pans, cook for a bit, top with the cheese and cook til the cheese melts, then put over boiled potatoes. I also cook brats in beer to have with it. Fun meal.......sort of like a fondue type meal. You can eat as much or as little as you like. Our friends love it when I decide to have a raclette get together.
    RL`