Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: 'Heavy' Corn Bread Recipe

Posted by Mrscharms1 (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 26, 05 at 22:59

Hi everyone! What I am looking for is a "heavy" type of corn bread recipe...not the crumbly kind....Bobby bought some corn bread from a bake sale while on the road...it was very heavy and just wonderful...what would I add to regular corn bread to make it "heavy"...Lard???

Janice

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: 'Heavy' Corn Bread Recipe

Using less regular flour will make the cornbread denser.

o

Agree with Ginger - find a recipe with only corn meal listed, no flour, try it and see if that's what you are looking for.

o

Too bad my MIL didn't write down her recipe for corn bread. Everything she baked came out really heavy! LOL

o

Thanks, I'll give it a try!!!

Janice

o

I, too, like a heavier cornbread. I seem to remember saving a recipe from a restaurant, that the requestor specifically like b/c it was "heavy". That aside, I usually just use more cornmeal and less flour - maybe 1/2 cup flour and 1-1/2 cups cornmeal. My mom called hers johnnycake - it was heavier and we ate it warm with milk and sugar.

o

I found a recipe today in the local newspaper called "Sweet Wet Cornbread"...and I am going to try this!!

3 cups of water
1 stick of butter
2 cups self rising cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1 cup sugar
3 eggs
1-1/2 cups whole milk

---------

Put 3 cups water and stick of butter in pot...bring to heavy boil...In large bowl use whisk to combine cornmeal, flour and sugar...In small bowl, beat 3 eggs, beat in milk...Pour in dry ingredients...Using whisk, mix up very well...Then add milk and egg mixture...stir til lumps are gone...pour into greased 9 x 13" pan...Bake at 400 degrees for one hour (????? that seems like a long time!!)....cool completely before removing from pan. I'm going to try it...will let you know if this is what I am looking for!

Janice

o

Janice, Let me know how it turns out. I love cornbread but have never made one with that much liquid or with water either. I have Sol's Honey Cornbread Muffins in the oven as I'm typing this.

Sol's Honey-Corn Muffins

4 tablespoons melted butter
1 cup AP flour
cup cake flour
1-1/3 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1 cups half & half or whole milk
cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400F. In a bowl whisk the flours, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, butter, oil, honey and vanilla.

Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet, stirring gently with the whisk and stop just as soon as there's not a trace of flour left.

I use a greased, large muffin pan for these, so this recipe will yield 6 big muffins.
I also used a large ice cream scoop to pour the batter evenly into each cup, almost filling it to the top. Bake muffins for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes before removing from pan.

Sol

o

Heavy cornbread should be made with all meal and no flour. The more shortening you use the less crumbly it will be.

o

I always a few squirts of honey in my bread.
Another "nice" change is to swirl a bit of raspberry jam through the batter.
Mmmmmmmm

o

This is the only corn bread I have made for many years. It is "heavy" and so I am! This is absolutely the most dense and delicious corn bread ever!

CORN BREAD

1/2 cup soft butter
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup shredded papperjack cheese
1 16-oz can cream-style corn
1 cup flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup cornmeal
1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine butter and sugar. Add eggs, cheese and creamed corn and stir to combine. Combine dry ingredients and mix to combine. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and bake at 300 degrees for about 1 hour.

o

I have made this cornbread for a long time and it is really good.

2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
2 cups yellow cornmeal
3 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/8 - 1/4 cup sugar depending on how sweet you want it
2 tb melted canola oil
1/3 cup chopped onion (optional)

place 2 tb canola oil in large cast iron skillet in 450 oven
be sure to get your skillet really hot, that is what puts the crust on the bottom.

beat eggs, pour in milk, add dry sifted ingredients
take skillet out of oven and carefully coat the sides of the skillet and then pour off the hot oil into your batter,
stir and pour batter back into your skillet.

Bake 25-30 min or until golden brown.

o

Thanks Guys! I'm saving all of these receipes. Corn Fed Gal Here!

I will add diced green chillies!

o

this is cornbread from Georgia ... it should be cooked in a well-seasoned cast iron skillet. NO sugar. NO flour. Use buttermilk. Make sure the skillet is smoking hot before you pour the batter. If you're lucky the batter will push the shortening up and over the outside edge forming a delicious 1/2" crust all the way around.

Southern Corn Bread
Serves 8 Yanks, 4 Rebs.

Source: White Lily.
(I do not use the sugar.)

2 cups White Lily cornbread mix (white, self-rising)
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup melted Crisco
1 egg lightly beaten
1 to 2 tbsps sugar (optional)

Preheat well-greased 8 or 10" iron skillet in 425F oven. Blend all ingredients, stirring just until moistened. The batter should be lumpy and rather thin. Pour into HOT skillet. Bake 20 to 25 minutes for 10" skillet or 25 to 30 minutes for 8" skillet or 8x8x2' pan. Serve hot with butter.

White Lily mix is not avilable in my area. If you can't import the real stuff from the deep South, substitute a stone-ground, self-rising WHITE cornbread mix. Better yet, order the real stuff from www.whitelily.com
Remember Southern cornmeal is ground from white corn and Southern cornbread is nothing like sweet Northern cake-like cornbread. It's even less like North Carolina cornbread which is similar to very sweet spoonbread which has collapsed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here