Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrscharms1

LOOKING for: 'Heavy' Corn Bread Recipe

Mrscharms1
19 years ago

Hi everyone! What I am looking for is a "heavy" type of corn bread recipe...not the crumbly kind....Bobby bought some corn bread from a bake sale while on the road...it was very heavy and just wonderful...what would I add to regular corn bread to make it "heavy"...Lard???

Janice

Comments (13)

• ginger_st_thomas
    19 years ago

Using less regular flour will make the cornbread denser.

• teresa_nc7
    19 years ago

Agree with Ginger - find a recipe with only corn meal listed, no flour, try it and see if that's what you are looking for.

• carol_in_california
    19 years ago

Too bad my MIL didn't write down her recipe for corn bread. Everything she baked came out really heavy! LOL

• Mrscharms1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks, I'll give it a try!!!

Janice

• Virginia7074
    19 years ago

I, too, like a heavier cornbread. I seem to remember saving a recipe from a restaurant, that the requestor specifically like b/c it was "heavy". That aside, I usually just use more cornmeal and less flour - maybe 1/2 cup flour and 1-1/2 cups cornmeal. My mom called hers johnnycake - it was heavier and we ate it warm with milk and sugar.

• Mrscharms1
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I found a recipe today in the local newspaper called "Sweet Wet Cornbread"...and I am going to try this!!

3 cups of water
    1 stick of butter
    2 cups self rising cornmeal
    1/2 cup flour
    1 cup sugar
    3 eggs
    1-1/2 cups whole milk

---------

Put 3 cups water and stick of butter in pot...bring to heavy boil...In large bowl use whisk to combine cornmeal, flour and sugar...In small bowl, beat 3 eggs, beat in milk...Pour in dry ingredients...Using whisk, mix up very well...Then add milk and egg mixture...stir til lumps are gone...pour into greased 9 x 13" pan...Bake at 400 degrees for one hour (????? that seems like a long time!!)....cool completely before removing from pan. I'm going to try it...will let you know if this is what I am looking for!

Janice

• ann_t
    19 years ago

Janice, Let me know how it turns out. I love cornbread but have never made one with that much liquid or with water either. I have Sol's Honey Cornbread Muffins in the oven as I'm typing this.

Sol's Honey-Corn Muffins

4 tablespoons melted butter
    1 cup AP flour
    ½ cup cake flour
    1-1/3 cup cornmeal
    1/3 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    3 large eggs
    1½ cups half & half or whole milk
    ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    3 tablespoons honey
    1½ teaspoons vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400ºF. In a bowl whisk the flours, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
    In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, butter, oil, honey and vanilla.

Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet, stirring gently with the whisk and stop just as soon as there's not a trace of flour left.

I use a greased, large muffin pan for these, so this recipe will yield 6 big muffins.
    I also used a large ice cream scoop to pour the batter evenly into each cup, almost filling it to the top. Bake muffins for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes before removing from pan.

Sol

• BeverlyAL
    19 years ago

Heavy cornbread should be made with all meal and no flour. The more shortening you use the less crumbly it will be.

• Terri_PacNW
    19 years ago

I always a few squirts of honey in my bread.
    Another "nice" change is to swirl a bit of raspberry jam through the batter.
    Mmmmmmmm

• gigi_7
    16 years ago

This is the only corn bread I have made for many years. It is "heavy" and so I am! This is absolutely the most dense and delicious corn bread ever!

CORN BREAD

1/2 cup soft butter
    1 cup sugar
    4 eggs
    1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1/2 cup shredded papperjack cheese
    1 16-oz can cream-style corn
    1 cup flour
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    1 cup cornmeal
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Combine butter and sugar. Add eggs, cheese and creamed corn and stir to combine. Combine dry ingredients and mix to combine. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and bake at 300 degrees for about 1 hour.

• mrsj
    16 years ago

I have made this cornbread for a long time and it is really good.

2 eggs
    1 1/2 cups milk
    2 cups yellow cornmeal
    3 tsp baking powder
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1/8 - 1/4 cup sugar depending on how sweet you want it
    2 tb melted canola oil
    1/3 cup chopped onion (optional)

place 2 tb canola oil in large cast iron skillet in 450 oven
    be sure to get your skillet really hot, that is what puts the crust on the bottom.

beat eggs, pour in milk, add dry sifted ingredients
    take skillet out of oven and carefully coat the sides of the skillet and then pour off the hot oil into your batter,
    stir and pour batter back into your skillet.

Bake 25-30 min or until golden brown.

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    16 years ago

Thanks Guys! I'm saving all of these receipes. Corn Fed Gal Here!

I will add diced green chillies!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz