Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christineny_gw

LOOKING for: Mexican Soup

christineny
16 years ago

I had a very delicious bowl of soup at my husband's bosses house. I feel funny asking for the recipe. I know it was from a cookbook called Best of the Best Volume 10. It was a mexican soup with tortillas, chicken and avocados. Does anyone have the cook book and would like to copy down the recipe. I would so appreciate it. Thanks

Comments (15)

• woodie
    16 years ago

Gee, I don't have that cookbook, sorry, but I hope someone else has it for you. But I just want to say that I think that the boss (or his wife) would be flattered and pleased that you asked for a recipe. I think anyone would take it as a compliment! Just a thought.

• rachelellen
    16 years ago

Oh yeah, any cook likes to be asked for a recipe, it's a compliment. It sounds like Tortilla Soup, which you can google for recipes pretty easily. Tortilla soup is one of those recipes like spaghetti sauce, though, each chef has her own version.

• jillelaine
    16 years ago

I went to amazon and looked up the cookbook. It is a cookbook with Food and Wine recipes. Then I went to Food and wine website and I came up with 2 recipes. I hope this helps. Sorry I do not know how to make these clickable.

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/chicken-and-avocado-soup-with-fried-tortillas

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/tortilla-soup-qfs

• christineny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting those links!! The soup had a tomato base. The ingredients don't match exactly to either one posted but it is close. My Mom came up with a good idea to go to Borders and copy down the recipe. I went today but they didn't have the book! I can try Barnes & Noble too. I know Amazon has the book but I don't want to order the book for one recipe.

I feel funny asking for the recipe because whenever I go there for dinner, I always go home with a recipe. Both he and his wife are excellent cooks and I am always so impressed when I go. I feel like a pain to keep asking for recipes. I thought since I know exactly where it is, I could find it myself this time.

Thanks again!

• blizlady
    16 years ago

I'll try to do a search for the recipe too because it sounds delish! I agree with rachelellen though, that people are flattered when asked for a recipe. I am never shy when it comes to asking! There is a girl at work that brings wonderful things to office pot lucks, and I have a hard time getting her to come up with the recipes. But I persist!

• blizlady
    16 years ago

Gee, I can't even seem to find a cookbook with that title, so sorry that I can't help further with the recipe.

• blizlady
    16 years ago

Maybe this is a long shot, but the description of the book talks about recipes from various chefs that have cook shows on food tv, maybe other chefs though. So I did a search for Mexican Chicken Torilla Soup at Foodtv, and came up with a page that lists about 21 recipes. Many of them are similar to what you described, so if you remember the rest of the ingredients you may be able to find it among these.

Here is a link that might be useful: Food TV Mexican Chicken Tortilla Soups

• Nancy
    16 years ago

Probably not the same recipe, but I had spotted this recipe recently. Hopefully, I can link it.

Here is a link that might be useful: torillla avocada soup

• woodie
    16 years ago

Here are two tried and true recipes - see if one sounds like what you're looking for - just garnish with some avocado!

Marilyn's Chicken Tortilla Soup

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 medium onion; diced
    2 jalapeno peppers; seeded and minced
    3 Roma tomatoes; seeded and minced
    4 cup chicken stock
    salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
    2 flour or corn tortillas; sliced into thin strips
    2 cups chopped, cooked chicken
    ¼ cup fresh, chopped cilantro leaves
    1 lime; cut into wedges

In a stockpot over medium heat sauté onion, jalapenos and tomatoes in olive oil along with salt and pepper until vegetables are tender and pulpy. Pour in chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, lay tortilla strips in a single layer on a baking sheet; toss with olive oil and bake at 425° until crisp but not too brown, checking them often. Remove from oven and toss with kosher salt while still hot. (If desired, fry tortilla strips in hot oil instead of baking.)

Add chicken to soup and bring back to a simmer. Ladle the hot soup into 4 soup bowls and squeeze lime in each one.
    Sprinkle soup with cilantro and pile tortilla strips on top; serve immediately. *Inspired by Tyler Florence. Marilyn

Marilyn's Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
    1 whole chicken breast cut in two
    1 teaspoon southwest seasoning
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large onion; chopped
    2 tablespoons minced garlic
    1 (14 oz.) can diced tomatoes with chilies
    1/2 cup instant corn masa mix (used to make tortillas)
    4 cups chicken broth
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese-optional
    1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
    juice from 1/2 fresh lime
    1 cup diced, seeded Roma tomatoes or salsa
    Sour cream for garnish

Season chicken with southwest seasoning and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add chicken, cooking for 4 minutes on each side turning once. Remove chicken to cutting board and set aside. Add onions to the saucepan and cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic to pot until fragrant then add tomatoes. Place corn masa mix in a jar with a tight fitting lid along with broth and shake until well combined; add to soup along with spices. Bring to a boil while stirring until thickened. Remove from heat; allow to cool for 5 minutes before pureeing soup base in batches in a blender until smooth, return soup to pot.
    Cut chicken into small chunks and add to pureed soup in pot. Stir in corn and cream and return to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes or until it starts to thicken. Reduce heat to medium-low and sprinkle in cheese and cilantro; stir to melt cheese. Add lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve topped with tomatoes and a dollop of sour cream. *Recipe inspired by Turkey Tortilla Soup from Cuisine at Home magazine.
    Marilyn

• pamcrews
    16 years ago

Christineny - I know how you feel, but as most mentioned it's a great compliment. Probably one of the reasons why she keeps cooking great meals due to how much you enjoy them. Have you considered buying her a cute recipe box as a little thank you? There are some great recipe holder books available too. Or maybe blank recipe cards with her name on them. Just a little token of your appreciation.....Just a thought.....

• lulu1957
    16 years ago

This recipe (from the Best of the Best) is from a series of cookbooks called the "Best of Bridge" written by some Canadian ladies who played bridge together. I have them all, and have yet to not be amazed by the results of their recipes. I copied this from their website which I tried to attach the link and couldn't. You should really take a look at it. Some of their recipes are posted there and I can vouch for all I have tried.

Tortilla Soup
    The Best of the Best - Vol. 1 (Page: 112)

Recipe of the Month - January 2003
    View past Recipes of the Month
    This hearty southwestern soup makes a great meal for your family.

Ingredients:
    Soup:
    2 Tbsp. oil 30 mL
    3 corn tortillas, cut into 1" pieces 3
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion 125 mL
    3 garlic cloves, minced 3
    1 Jalapeno pepper, seeded & minced 1
    2 Anaheim chilies, roasted, peeled, seeded & finely chopped 2
    8 Roma tomatoes, seeded & diced 8
    2 Tbsp. tomato paste 30 mL
    2 tsp. cumin 10 mL
    1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper 1 mL
    5 cups chicken stock 1.2 L
    1 cup picante sauce (medium) 500 mL
    2 whole cooked chicken breasts, shredded 2
    1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled & diced

Garnish:
    1/2 cup grated Monterey Jack cheese 125 mL
    1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional) 75 mL
    2 corn tortillas 2

Instructions:
    To make soup:
    Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the tortillas, reduce heat and cook until they are golden brown and slightly crisp. Add the onion And cook 3 minutes longer; add garlic and jalapeno pepper and cook another 2 minutes. Add the Anaheim chilies, tomatoes and tomato paste; Cook for 10 minutes. Stir in the cumin and cayenne. Slowly whisk in the chicken stock and picante sauce. Simmer the soup for about 20 minutes, or until slightly reduced. Add the shredded chicken and avocado and heat until warmed through.

To make garnish:
    Preheat oven to 350 F (180oC). Cut tortillas into strips. Place the strips on a baking sheet and cook for 10 - 15 minutes, or until crisp.

To serve, ladle soup into 6 bowls and garnish with the grated cheese, cilantro and baked tortilla strips. Serves 6.

The difference between a pessimist and an optimist: The pessimist says, "Things are so bad, they can't get any worse." The optimist says "Oh yes they can."

Click here to mail this recipe to a friend.

Click here to add this recipe to your list of favorites.

• christineny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for posting the info and recipe Lulu!! It is very close, although I don't think the exact one. The soup had diced carrots in it. Do you have volume 10? Can you compare?? I will definately check out the website you suggested for other recipes. Thanks again..

• blizlady
    16 years ago

I found it! I decided to purchase the cookbook from Amazon because it looked like a great collection. I only paid 99 cents plus $4.60 shipping for a brand new Best of the Best cookbook that normally sells for $29.95! The soup looks delish, and the cookbook is full of great recipes!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mexican Chicken Soup

• christineny
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OMG Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This site is absolutely amazing!! That is the exact recipe. Let me know if you like the cookbook. Again...thanks blizlady and everyone else who tried to help!!

• blizlady
    16 years ago

You're very welcome. I love Ina Garten's recipes! I just received the cookbook today and had a chance to browse through it a little. The pictures of the food are spectacular, and I'm sure I'll love the recipes. It's a great collection!