Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Beef Stew

Posted by annova914 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 2, 09 at 22:32

I found a recipe for beef stew on the internet, made some changes and ended up with this stew. We think it's delicious and I plan to make another pot tomorrow. Ann

Beef Stew

2 lbs of beef stew meat, cut into 1" cubes
1/3 cup all purpose flour
Seasonal
Ground black pepper
Good oil for skillet
1 medium yellow onion chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
1 tsp paprika
1+ tsps Worcestershire sauce
1-1/2 cups beef broth (1.5 tsps Better Than Bouillon beef in 12 oz boiling water)
Bunch of carrots, chopped in 1/3s
2-3 stalks celery, chopped in 1/3s
5.5 ounce can of V-8 juice
Montreal Steak Seasoning
Dried thyme leaves

Pour flour into ziplock bag and add Seasonal, black pepper; zip and shake to blend. Add cubes of meat and shake. Swirl some oil into skillet and heat. Saute onions and then add meat (if crowded start adding onions to Dutch Oven). Put meat and rest of onions into Dutch Oven along with carrots, celery & bay leaf. Add Worcestershire to beef broth & pour cup of broth into skillet to scrape up bits in skillet; add this and rest of broth to stew in the pot. Add can of V-8 Juice. Sprinkle paprika & dried thyme leaves to stew and a little Montreal Steak Seasoning. Cover pot and cook over low heat for 2.5 hours. Taste for any seasonings needed.
Great over whipped potatoes.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Beef Stew

That sounds very good, Ann. I think I'd serve it over noodles.

o

Sounds good (except for the carrots, LOL.) What is "Seasonal"?

o

Ginger, I made it again 2 nights ago and I served it over noodles :) We liked it almost as much as over the potatoes (and it's a lot easier than making whipped potatoes).

Seasonal is a seasoned salt made by McCormick with garlic, paprika, onion, chili pepper, black pepper, celery seed, nutmeg and coriander in it. I don't use it often (just when I'm not sure what to use to make something flavorful!) Woodie2--the carrots are my favorite part so I cut up an entire bunch for the stew. Ann

o

Sounds good, but I would omit the V8 and add a little more water and Better than Boullion
And if Woody were coming for dinner....I might cut back on the carrots and add some mushrooms instead!

o

Thanks for the mushrooms, Linda! I would leave in the V8 but you and Ann can have all of my carrots!

Seasonal sounds like a nice mixture, thanks, Ann.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here